What Did We Learn - Maryland

Mavric

4 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

But he didn't. Man we love to play this game especially when we win.

The # of "should have" interceptions for QB's could always be pretty high.  Rarely do defenses capitalize on every opportunity to make an interception or recover a fumble.  The "should have turnovers" argument always drives me crazy.

• Plus1 5

So looking at the total number of TD's Adrian is behind by 2 total TDs. He still has one possible two games left this year.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The # of "should have" interceptions for QB's could always be pretty high.  Rarely do defenses capitalize on every opportunity to make an interception or recover a fumble.  The "should have turnovers" argument always drives me crazy.

I know, it's stupid. "It should have happened" well guess what it didn't.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Exactly - we dropped at least 2 and I think 3 potential interceptions. Those throws need to be better, but it's not jsut a matter of Maryland being so bad they can't catch a ball.

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Exactly - we dropped at least 2 and I think 3 potential interceptions. Those throws need to be better, but it's not jsut a matter of Maryland being so bad they can't catch a ball.

If people are counting the swing pass to Rahmir in the 1st quarter as a "should have interception", that isn't a poor decision, and it's really not even a poor pass.  It's a pre-designed play with no read.  It should be a safe pass, getting a talented runner out in space.  The reason it was nearly intercepted was because Jack Stoll whiffed on his block and the DB was right on Rahmir when the ball arrived.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Aliens05 said:

He in all reality should have had about 3-4 MORE turnovers, we got absolutely BAILED out that those turnovers didn't happen. 

When I read comments like this, I just want to bang my head agains the wall.  He didn't have them.  You know what?  I can watch just about every QB in the country and pick out plays where he could have had an interception....but they didn't.  There's a reason why there isn't a line in the stats column for "Almost turnovers".

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

When I read comments like this, I just want to bang my head agains the wall.  He didn't have them.  You know what?  I can watch just about every QB in the country and pick out plays where he could have had an interception....but they didn't.  There's a reason why there isn't a line in the stats column for "Almost turnovers".

Again, Adrian made some bad throws against Maryland, but who knows if the TD pass to Spielman had been picked, that he has more focus on the throw to Stoll and that play is a TD instead of an interception.  The "what if/should have" game is very hard to be used as an argument.

I think Adrian needs to improve on turnovers and overall consistency, but consistency can be challenging with the young personnel on offense playing with him, and the overall changes in personnel playing with him on offense this year.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, melscott62 said:

IMO playing qb in a system like this requires someon with good vision that can think quickly and slow down the game.  It’s a natural gift that not everyone has.   I don’t think You can teach it.  I’m not seeing it out of AM.  I hope I am wrong.

Very wrong. This system is QB friendly. Yes you have to read the field but to say 'i dont think you can teach it' is just flat out wrong

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, melscott62 said:

IMO playing qb in a system like this requires someon with good vision that can think quickly and slow down the game.  It’s a natural gift that not everyone has.   I don’t think You can teach it.  I’m not seeing it out of AM.  I hope I am wrong.

One thing that I am curious about is the progressions of the reads on each play, and how Adrian is taught to go through those progressions.  It's easy for fans up in the stands to see the open guys in zones or running free, but it has to be very difficult to do that as a QB, especially when Martinez doesn't always receive a good snap, good protection, and new receivers working through the offense.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Very wrong. This system is QB friendly. Yes you have to read the field but to say 'i dont think you can teach it' is just flat out wrong

IMO that is supposed to be Verduzco's strength in his coaching.  It helps when the coaches have good students, so Adrian's lack of growth in making reads is partly on Adrian, and partly on the coaches.

10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

IMO that is supposed to be Verduzco's strength in his coaching.  It helps when the coaches have good students, so Adrian's lack of growth in making reads is partly on Adrian, and partly on the coaches.

I don't remember when in the season it was, but the coaching staff eluded to the fact that part of the problem was WRs not being where they are supposed to be.  Meaning, they weren't running the route they were supposed to.  I think this is why some of our WRs haven't seen the field.  They have got to be where they are supposed to be and AM needs to be able to trust that that's where they are going to be.

AM needs to improve.  But, things aren't always as the seem to us fans.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I want to see Adrian next year before I say Verduzco is a major part of the problem. I think there are alot of factors at play 

• Fire 1