Maryland Post-Game Pressers

Mavric

8 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

I couldn't help but think of the Bobby Newcome situation when I heard this.... It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Luke played pretty well, IMO, for such short notice of a WR switch. He had a couple nice catches, and we know he has the speed to do some damage....

Very good point. I wonder if the staff will consider putting all three QBs on the field at the same time in the future? Would provide a wide variety of options and considering Vedral has some burners along with Luke, it could make for some interesting trickery like the Saints do with Brees, Bridgewater & Hill. 

My thing with McCaffrey is, he supposedly knows the offense inside out, he is a super athlete and a natural reciever. He can still practice QB and be used like he was yesterday. In my opinion McCaffrey split out wide with all of our other weapons on the field is a nightmare scenario for a defense. This probably won't be used much if any in the future given it was an emergency response, but I for one would love to see it more.

• Fire 1

McCaffrey is obviously a dynamic player and runs the ball very well. The rumors I’ve heard though are that he needs to develop his passing game. Frost only attempted 5 passes with him and one of those was while playing WR. 

Martinez - 25 passes 10 runs. 
Mccaffrey - 5 passes 10 runs. 

Now, I know Mccaffrey came in when the game was out of reach but, I think those stats tell you what Frost is comfortable having either do. 

• Plus1 4
25 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

McCaffrey is obviously a dynamic player and runs the ball very well. The rumors I’ve heard though are that he needs to develop his passing game. Frost only attempted 5 passes with him and one of those was while playing WR. 

Martinez - 25 passes 10 runs. 
Mccaffrey - 5 passes 10 runs. 

Now, I know Mccaffrey came in when the game was out of reach but, I think those stats tell you what Frost is comfortable having either do. 

I would like to see McCaffrey pass more.  He did well in the game that both he and Noah played in.  Maybe give him some snaps against Iowa to see how he does.  A change of pace in the game.

I really liked how Frost used him yesterday.  As a QB, WR and some trick plays....Make Iowas spend some time this week putting in some plans to defend that....

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, lo country said:

I would like to see McCaffrey pass more.  He did well in the game that both he and Noah played in.  Maybe give him some snaps against Iowa to see how he does.  A change of pace in the game.

I really liked how Frost used him yesterday.  As a QB, WR and some trick plays....Make Iowas spend some time this week putting in some plans to defend that....

I haven't watched the 2nd half of the game yet (watching it right now) but McCaffrey's passing is the big unknown.  He wasn't a natural passer coming out of high school, but has been working on improving that part of his game.  I don't think he has the arm strength of Martinez, but he has shown nice touch on screen passes and other passes requiring finesse.  I think he has a limited pass tree currently, but if he is able to have full access to the play book next year, then the competition with Martinez will be on.  McCaffrey has the speed edge on Martinez, but Adrian runs with more power, especially near the goal line.

For Iowa, I think McCaffrey will be needed at WR, which I think will give the Iowa's defense something to think about when he's on the field.  That should open up the field for the other guys on offense.

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I haven't watched the 2nd half of the game yet (watching it right now) but McCaffrey's passing is the big unknown.  He wasn't a natural passer coming out of high school, but has been working on improving that part of his game.  I don't think he has the arm strength of Martinez, but he has shown nice touch on screen passes and other passes requiring finesse.  I think he has a limited pass tree currently, but if he is able to have full access to the play book next year, then the competition with Martinez will be on.  McCaffrey has the speed edge on Martinez, but Adrian runs with more power, especially near the goal line.

For Iowa, I think McCaffrey will be needed at WR, which I think will give the Iowa's defense something to think about when he's on the field.  That should open up the field for the other guys on offense.

Martinez May have a stronger arm but is that needed in our offense? I don’t see many throws over 30 yards. 

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

Martinez May have a stronger arm but is that needed in our offense? I don’t see many throws over 30 yards. 

That is a fair question, but Frost wants to be able to stretch the field vertically.  Martinez's arm strength allows Frost to bring other pass routes into the playbook.  But, Martinez's lack of touch in the RB screen game and other short passes over the middle can hamper the offense.  It will be interesting to see how next fall plays out.  The guys on 1620 were commenting after the game that Martinez may be battling a shoulder injury.  I wonder if he will have shoulder surgery during the offseason, which would give the majority of the Spring reps to McCaffrey.

• Plus1 1