Maryland Post-Game Pressers

Mavric

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It is when we have a deep threat which we don’t now. 

Our lack of 30+ yard passes is more from the WR position than the scheme. 

That is another point I failed to make on my response above.

Also, arm strength doesn't always just mean that enables deep passes.  That means getting wide passes out to the WR quicker, as well as the intermediate routes between defenders.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Also, arm strength doesn't always just mean that enables deep passes.  That means getting wide passes out to the WR quicker, as well as the intermediate routes between defenders.

If the throw is not accurate it takes away the advantage of the ball getting there 1/2 second faster if the receiver spends 1.5 seconds regaining his balance though 

The Good:

1. The O-line looked good for a second week in a row.

2.  The team played well despite some being very sick

3. Our QB's are running the ball again...glad to see the coaches return to this.

4.  We finally have a Field Goal kicker

5.  The defense had a great game

The Bad:

1. All the good was done against a team that is not playing well and without their starting QB.  Let's hope we see the same vs Iowa this week!

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That is a fair question, but Frost wants to be able to stretch the field vertically.  Martinez's arm strength allows Frost to bring other pass routes into the playbook.  But, Martinez's lack of touch in the RB screen game and other short passes over the middle can hamper the offense.  It will be interesting to see how next fall plays out.  The guys on 1620 were commenting after the game that Martinez may be battling a shoulder injury.  I wonder if he will have shoulder surgery during the offseason, which would give the majority of the Spring reps to McCaffrey.

I mentioned that in the thread yesterday.  Watching his throwing motion, IMHO, he has an impingement issue with the joint or a rotator cuff issue.  He short arms or "pushes" the ball not allowing his arm to rotate all the way through (picture it stopping at about parallel to the ground) which causes the ball to go high.  Throwing sidearm, which he did yesterday (or not have hand passing by ear) helps to take the pressure off the shoulder.....That's just my .02......I would not be surprised in the least if he has something going on.  I am sure that effects his running ie stiff arming, lower his shoulder etc....It gets in your head a little bit with that type of injury....

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

TCU vs OU last night was an example of this (or a slow read).  TCU QB threw about 1 sec (or less late)(or not enough zip) and Bookie made a great play on the ball............

I agree with you.  Arm strength doesn't only translate to chunking one 60 yards on the fly......

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

For Iowa, I think McCaffrey will be needed at WR, which I think will give the Iowa's defense something to think about when he's on the field.  That should open up the field for the other guys on offense.

I think that's probably the #1 reason we used McCaffrey so much: to give Iowa even more that they have to try and prepare for over the short week.

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, Toe said:

I think that's probably the #1 reason we used McCaffrey so much: to give Iowa even more that they have to try and prepare for over the short week.

McCaffrey also played a lot of WR in HS before his senior year so it is a position change he should be able to make quicker than most.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, lo country said:

I mentioned that in the thread yesterday.  Watching his throwing motion, IMHO, he has an impingement issue with the joint or a rotator cuff issue.  He short arms or "pushes" the ball not allowing his arm to rotate all the way through (picture it stopping at about parallel to the ground) which causes the ball to go high.  Throwing sidearm, which he did yesterday (or not have hand passing by ear) helps to take the pressure off the shoulder.....That's just my .02......I would not be surprised in the least if he has something going on.  I am sure that effects his running ie stiff arming, lower his shoulder etc....It gets in your head a little bit with that type of injury....

I’m not a D1 QB coach, but one thing I’ve noticed is Martinez tends to U the ball because keeps his hand in a U shape instead of getting his fingers on top the ball aka C the ball. This causes the ball to sail and float instead of the nose dropping and the ball falling into the WRs hands. I think his mechanics are off and that’s a big reason for his issues. It makes me wonder if Coach V is really all that great of a QB coach. I feel he knows his stuff but is having a hard time teaching to Martinez 

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

McCaffrey is obviously a dynamic player and runs the ball very well. The rumors I’ve heard though are that he needs to develop his passing game. Frost only attempted 5 passes with him and one of those was while playing WR. 

Martinez - 25 passes 10 runs. 
Mccaffrey - 5 passes 10 runs. 

Now, I know Mccaffrey came in when the game was out of reach but, I think those stats tell you what Frost is comfortable having either do. 

Yep.  Same story for the year:

Martinez - 233 passes, 123 runs

McCaffrey - 11 passes (one on Black 41 Flash Reverse), 23 runs

As you said, some of that is dictated by game situation.  But even in the other game that he played extensively (Indiana), it was still 12 runs, 6 passes.

I don't think that is an accident.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Gorillahawk said:

I’m not a D1 QB coach, but one thing I’ve noticed is Martinez tends to U the ball because keeps his hand in a U shape instead of getting his fingers on top the ball aka C the ball. This causes the ball to sail and float instead of the nose dropping and the ball falling into the WRs hands. I think his mechanics are off and that’s a big reason for his issues. It makes me wonder if Coach V is really all that great of a QB coach. I feel he knows his stuff but is having a hard time teaching to Martinez 

No coach either.  Great point on the hand placement.  Im just looking at his throwing mechanics.  They are bad this year.    I'm not sold on Verduzco yet.  He has a great limited resume with Milton and AM 1.0.  Wonder of AM 1.0 was just his raw talent and athleticism.... 

40 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yep.  Same story for the year:

Martinez - 233 passes, 123 runs

McCaffrey - 11 passes (one on Black 41 Flash Reverse), 23 runs

As you said, some of that is dictated by game situation.  But even in the other game that he played extensively (Indiana), it was still 12 runs, 6 passes.

I don't think that is an accident.

McCaffrey looks really good running the ball.  His passing looks good as well.  I think to take the pounding if his run/pass ratio continues to be the opposite of AM, he will definitely need to bulk up.  He's is crazy quick with that first step and acceleration. Even if he doesn't beat out AM next year (and there might not even be that opportunity) I think he would make a phenomenal change of pace guy.  A mess for DC's to contend with.  I'd love to see him used like Taysom Hill with the Saints.  A little bit of everything.  Throwing, rushing and receiving.....

20 minutes ago, lo country said:

No coach either.  Great point on the hand placement.  Im just looking at his throwing mechanics.  They are bad this year.    I'm not sold on Verduzco yet.  He has a great limited resume with Milton and AM 1.0.  Wonder of AM 1.0 was just his raw talent and athleticism.... 

Good mechanics are difficult to maintain when a QB is dealing with injuries. So tough to put that on Verduzco. However, Verduzco has been 3 for 3 on recruiting the QB’s they wanted to recruit, so that’s a plus, and Verduzco does deserve credit for getting young QB’s ready to play and do well. 

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Good mechanics are difficult to maintain when a QB is dealing with injuries. (AND RUNNING FOR HIS LIFE), So tough to put that on Verduzco. However, Verduzco has been 3 for 3 on recruiting the QB’s they wanted to recruit, so that’s a plus, and Verduzco does deserve credit for getting young QB’s ready to play and do well. 

Fify.

Get him a reliable o line and everyone  is still in love with him.

• Plus1 3
6 hours ago, lo country said:

Watching him throw this year vs last year it definitely seems something is off. Maybe he aggravated his HS injury or something happened. Him making his "feeling back to my old self" comment a couple weeks ago after missing games makes you wonder if he's been injured. Not to mention he did hurt his left shoulder and obviously his knee.