Will we beat Iowa?

r06ue1

Will we beat Iowa? Discuss.   

146 members have voted

1. 1. Will we beat Iowa? Discuss.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/29/2019 at 06:30 PM

13 minutes ago, beastieboat said:

Illinois 4-4 was a good come from behind win, but Maryland 1-7 and Northwestern 0-8 are wins over Bad Big 10 teams. We are only leading Northwestern at being on the bottom of the Big 10 west. We have a lot to play for. My Iowa coworkers are not worried about the Huskers on this up and coming “Black & Gold” Friday.

Did Northwestern graduate that many studs after last year?  I'm still trying to figure out how you go from first to worst in the West.  Hopefully, the Iowa team has the same mentality as your coworkers.  We are long overdue to string a couple of impressive performances in a row.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, junior4949 said:

Did Northwestern graduate that many studs after last year?  I'm still trying to figure out how you go from first to worst in the West.  Hopefully, the Iowa team has the same mentality as your coworkers.  We are long overdue to string a couple of impressive performances in a row.

I think Thorson was a better QB than I realized, just seriously limited by their offensive scheme. Also lost their best 3 receivers to graduation or injury. And finally, they really weren't that good last year IMO they got really lucky - this year they've been a little unlucky.

My worry is Iowa's defense, they're pretty good, but if we somehow score 30+ points their offense isn't built for that. They love to slow the game down, grind it out, and frustrate you and beat you with fundamental football. No one tries to get them out of their game.......we need to and we need to make them uncomfortable. Do that and we win! 

• Plus1 1

I think this game boils down to our offense vs the Hawkeyes' defense.  They have a better defense than we do.  We have a better offense.  Their offense is going to have rough sledding in our Memorial stadium.  Crowd noise and all.  I think that'll help out Chin's squad.  Meanwhile the Husker offense is back  to full power.  Martinez is healthy.  The offensive line is clicking.  Mills is looking like a beast.   I think (hope!) Wandale will be back.  And we got McAffrey lining up at QB or WR.  Conclusion:  The Hawkeyes are going down.  GBR!

• Plus1 2
16 hours ago, NUance said:

I think this game boils down to our offense vs the Hawkeyes' defense.  They have a better defense than we do.  We have a better offense.  Their offense is going to have rough sledding in our Memorial stadium.  Crowd noise and all.  I think that'll help out Chin's squad.  Meanwhile the Husker offense is back  to full power.  Martinez is healthy.  The offensive line is clicking.  Mills is looking like a beast.   I think (hope!) Wandale will be back.  And we got McAffrey lining up at QB or WR.  Conclusion:  The Hawkeyes are going down.  GBR!

I think this sums it up nicely, this it the type of game the Frost system is built to win (or will be some day).  Put up some points, perhaps figure out a way to beat the  keeping teams under 30 streak the Iowa defense has.  

Does Iowa have a hurryup offense? If they do, what's Chinander gonna do about it?
Will Mills have a big day? Will Martinez throw more accurate passes and know when there's nothing there? Will Frost have any more surprises? Will there be McCaffrey options as a receiver or has he played his four games?

5 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Does Iowa have a hurryup offense? If they do, what's Chinander gonna do about it?
Will Mills have a big day? Will Martinez throw more accurate passes and know when there's nothing there? Will Frost have any more surprises? Will there be McCaffrey options as a receiver or has he played his four games?

Is that actually a concern? And McCaffrey has played 3, so he should be available.

• Plus1 1

Just now, Hayseed said:

I think it is, we look confused when the offense hurries. Glad to hear McCaffrey will be available.

If they want to pull a 180 on their offensive style and go hurryup, I would be thrilled. Maybe I'll eat my words if they do and it works, but they're usually happy to take time off the clock and do a slow grind. Even if you stop them a drive in 3 plays they take a couple minutes off the clock, where a team like us can go 3 and out in 30 seconds game time throwing the ball.

Iowa is almost certainly going to play us just like they play everybody else every year.   Slow, methodical, grind it out old style basic fundamental football.  No flash, no gimmicks,, etc.   Basic blocking and tackling, smash mouth with some tight ends and a couple shots down field to keep the defense halfway honest.    Nothing new or different.  That is classic Big Ten style football, played in the trenches, etc.

The Big Ten has played this style in part because of the weather factors which tend to influence the last 3 or 4 weeks of every season.

Power, strength and push with much less speed and finesse.

The weather forecast is basically going to be Iowa football weather and has to favor them over Frost's flashier, gun and run, or whatever one might nickname it.   Frost may end up with more runs than passes but it is really not nearly as power as it is finesse.   The runs are really the counter punch to the throwing game.

I've felt fairly bullish about Husker chances for this week until I heard the forecast and we learn about the deficiencies in the skill players (WRs, RBs, etc) that are absent.   We don't have a very good smashmouth run capability without the ability to threaten with passing.

Iowa will NOT make the mistakes in scheme and strategy that Wisconsin did so running the ball will be very difficult.  

My heart says Huskers 27 - Iowa 20 but logic and intelligent experience says 27 to 13 Hawkeyes. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Unbiased view - Iowa will stuff any run game the Huskers try to generate.  They've stuffed the best the Big 10 has to offer so far so there's no evidence it won't happen again.  So...it will fall on Martinez to generate any offense and, sorry to say,  I'm pretty sure he's not going to be up to the challenge.  He's inconsist and makes bad choices when he's under pressure.  He floats passes out there...he practically gave Maryland two interceptions if they had been competent enough to capitalize on them.  I'm sure a spy will be assigned to him to take his running game away.  I'm almost sure we'll see someone else at QB before the first half is over...either because AM is ineffective or because he got crushed.

When Iowa has the ball, they will just pound it until they wear the DL down.  It's what they do...along with a lot of dinks and dunks to the tight ends and backs out of the backfield to take advantage of the weak Husker linebacking crew.  Don't expect a lot of flash from the Iowa offense on Friday.  Probably lots of counters, screens and traps to take advantage of the Husker tendency to over pursue then just a lot of smash mouth football.  They'll grind the Huskers down with boredom.

I rank my hatred of the Squakeyes right below stepping in dog s#!t and a little above rap music so I'm hoping it turns out differently than I think it will but...we have legal sports betting in the state now and I could use some new boots so...the smart money is going with the Fighting Nepotists on Friday.

• Plus1 1