Kick Returner

bhunt7

I understand completely why Belt keeps running the kickoffs back but damn, just kneel it/fair catch and take the ball at the 25.  I'd love to see the numbers on it and I imagine that teams are just giving away free yardage by running it out versus kneeling it.  Of course I watched Duke/Wake yesterday and Duke had 2 KO returns for TDs lol.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Xmas32 said:

I understand completely why Belt keeps running the kickoffs back but damn, just kneel it/fair catch and take the ball at the 25.  I'd love to see the numbers on it and I imagine that teams are just giving away free yardage by running it out versus kneeling it.  Of course I watched Duke/Wake yesterday and Duke had 2 KO returns for TDs lol.

Until we get a dynamic return man or find away to better set a return up, I am all for taking the fair catch and get the extra yards....

• Plus1 3

On the other side, I liked our KO gameplan yesterday. Pooching it short like that minimized Maryland's return game, gave our gunners an opportunity to get downfield quickly in comparison to the ball, minimized the amount of yards given up by return or fair catch, and gave us a turnover.

• Fire 1

They've changed the rules to eliminate the most dangerous collisions. I'm okay with trying different guys ,like Woodyard, but there just won't be as many returns anymore. Seems the returner needs a lot more situational awareness these days so he doesn't bring out kicks that should be fair caught.

1 hour ago, WVhuskerXX said:

Doesn’t matter who is back there if you can’t block.

also, Woodyard was given the chance last year. I assume the fact that you forgot that shows how unimpressive he was. 

I went back and watched each of his few returns last year. I saw him muff a return against Purdue and take off after that. The guy looks extremely fast. We don't have speed in our return game now. He is one of the fastest men in the B1G, why not try to give us a spark!!

• Plus1 1

Complete pipe dream: Ed Foley left Temple to consult for Baylor and his old coach Matt Rhule this summer after a falling out with the new staff at TU. Foley is one of the best special teams coaches in the country and he is sitting in a press box in Waco all year. Call him up immediately and the special teams would improve on his arrive , guaranteed. 

I agree with OP. And not even just Woodyard. We have a ton of athletic guys, quick (or quicker than Belt) that for some reason or another aren't seeing the field at their respective position. Why not try them as a KR? If nothing else it allows us to utilize guys that we thought would be major contributors this year, that have barely even played..just head scratching. I would really like to know the coaches thoughts or reasoning behind this because it is absolutely mind boggling to me. What other teams do you see using a younger, slower, walk on to do KR when you have fast. athletic guys not getting reps anywhere on the field.