An Iowa fan's take on the game

Caven

Coming off a weekend where Nebraska played one of their best games of the season and Iowa played one of their worst games of the season, this Friday could be very interesting.  I am not sure how much of Nebraska's game is due to Maryland - but you also looked much better against Wisky the week before.  Iowa seems to have forgotten how to tackle rushers in the past few weeks, but our pass defense has remained pretty solid and we are doing REALLY well at closing things down once teams get in scoring range.  We also have an issue scoring TDs and keep settling for FGs. 

With freezing rain in the forecast, ball security could be an issue and this should be a big advantage for us.  I think that both teams will move the ball through the center of the field at will and the game will be decided by who gets TDs, who gets FGs, and who walks away with nothing once they are in the red zone.  This is where Nebraska's newfound ability to actually make field goals will help a lot as I don't think Nebraska will have any better luck getting into the end zone than the other teams we have faced this year.  We have held teams under 40% TDs in the red zone vs. 70% for Nebraska.  I think that will be the difference in the game as Iowa is near the top in red zone defense and Nebraska is near the bottom in both red zone offense and red zone defense.

I hope that we spoil your guaranteed bowl game, but that you still manage to grab an invite at 5-7 so that you all get to go bowling and get the extra practices.  With what Frost is trying accomplish that would be huge to get a jump start on next year!  I also hope the forecast changes as sitting through a game in freezing rain isn't fun, but I will be there with at least some of you regardless of the weather!  Go Hawks :)

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Me thinks you may be giving us a bit too much credit for this supposed newfound field goal kicking ability. Sure we eaked some through but we also passed on a 39 yard attempt when it would've been the logical choice and our kickoffs.....oof.  Possibly the popups to the opponents 30 yard line were by design but it is more than apparent we don't have anyone who can put the ball in the endzone or even deeper than the 15.

But also, I don't understand the concern about Iowa settling for field goals. Hasn't that been Ferentz MO since day one? You seem to be a little more offensively oriented this year but that's not necessarily saying much.

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

Possibly the popups to the opponents 30 yard line were by design but it is more than apparent we don't have anyone who can put the ball in the endzone or even deeper than the 15.

I think they were totally by design.  Instead of trying to get it as deep as you can but a line drive which gives the return guy a good chance of a return, pop it up as high as you can and give your coverage time to get there.  I thought this was one of the best coaching points of the game.

• Plus1 7

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think they were totally by design.  Instead of trying to get it as deep as you can but a line drive which gives the return guy a good chance of a return, pop it up as high as you can and give your coverage time to get there.  I thought this was one of the best coaching points of the game.

Exactly,  if you can't kick it into the end zone.  Find someone who can put it high and to the 20 yard line.  If it is done well they are going to fair catch it and get it at the 25 same as a touch back.  It also allows for a miss handle and recovery which happened in the game. They did return a couple out to the 40, but it was mostly done well. 

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree. I think it was purely by design....and with good results. But I still find it very disturbing that we seem to be one of the few D1 programs that can't kick it through the endzone at will. Our kicking game, all of it (kickoffs, extra points, field goals, punting and coverage to a great extent) is pathetic and in disarray.

2 hours ago, Caven said:

Coming off a weekend where Nebraska played one of their best games of the season and Iowa played one of their worst games of the season, this Friday could be very interesting.  I am not sure how much of Nebraska's game is due to Maryland - but you also looked much better against Wisky the week before.  Iowa seems to have forgotten how to tackle rushers in the past few weeks, but our pass defense has remained pretty solid and we are doing REALLY well at closing things down once teams get in scoring range.  We also have an issue scoring TDs and keep settling for FGs. 

With freezing rain in the forecast, ball security could be an issue and this should be a big advantage for us.  I think that both teams will move the ball through the center of the field at will and the game will be decided by who gets TDs, who gets FGs, and who walks away with nothing once they are in the red zone.  This is where Nebraska's newfound ability to actually make field goals will help a lot as I don't think Nebraska will have any better luck getting into the end zone than the other teams we have faced this year.  We have held teams under 40% TDs in the red zone vs. 70% for Nebraska.  I think that will be the difference in the game as Iowa is near the top in red zone defense and Nebraska is near the bottom in both red zone offense and red zone defense.

I hope that we spoil your guaranteed bowl game, but that you still manage to grab an invite at 5-7 so that you all get to go bowling and get the extra practices.  With what Frost is trying accomplish that would be huge to get a jump start on next year!  I also hope the forecast changes as sitting through a game in freezing rain isn't fun, but I will be there with at least some of you regardless of the weather!  Go Hawks :)

We’re unstable fans of an inconsistent team so we have no idea what to expect. Enjoy the game!

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Caven said:

I hope that we spoil your guaranteed bowl game, but that you still manage to grab an invite at 5-7 so that you all get to go bowling and get the extra practices.

I hope we spoil your hopes ;) I believe I saw that we can't make it at 5-7 anyhow so we'll need to win on Friday. It won't affect you guys though so just spot us this one!

1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

Bad weather only favors Iowa...

I dunno, they've honestly been pretty bad running the ball this year. That doesn't mean we'll be able to stop them, but they've been more reliant on passing the ball than we have this year. They are better at not fumbling, but we've actually been better running the ball.

Iowa: 23.5 ppg, 131.7 Rushing ypg (3.7 ypc), 242.2 Passing ypg, 373.9 total.

Nebraska: 28.4 ppg, 206.9 rushing ypg (4.7 ypc), 222.7 passing ypg, 429.6 total.

17 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I dunno, they've honestly been pretty bad running the ball this year. That doesn't mean we'll be able to stop them, but they've been more reliant on passing the ball than we have this year. They are better at not fumbling, but we've actually been better running the ball.

Iowa: 23.5 ppg, 131.7 Rushing ypg (3.7 ypc), 242.2 Passing ypg, 373.9 total.

Nebraska: 28.4 ppg, 206.9 rushing ypg (4.7 ypc), 222.7 passing ypg, 429.6 total.

Iowa likes to control the clock and play in a box. The less we can spread them out and more they can run straight at us always seems to hurt us. That and we turn the ball over way more than they do 

We can and will win this game! Our penalties the past couple of games have pretty much been nothing. That means we are playing with better discipline then earlier in the year. Mills is starting to find his mo-jo and what is expected of him.

Another weapon, if we run McCaffery in the game at receiver on occasion. I think Frost is figuring out on offense what works best lately.

But then again Maryland makes everyone look live world beaters!

GO HUSKERS!!!!