Matt Waldoch - Husker Kicker

knapplc

5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Chris Heady from the OWH has been saying for weeks that Waldoch has the strongest leg of any of the kickers, and would see him make the longest FG's in pre-game warmups.  The biggest issue with Waldoch was him learning how to elevate the ball to get over the line, while still keeping the distance.  Waldoch himself mentioned that his earlier kicks were too flat and like a crossing pass in soccer, where the flight path of the ball is flatter.

And this is true for a lot of kickers coming out of high school, too. Guys going for the block are bigger, faster, and jump higher than in HS, so they have to learn to kick higher.

15 minutes ago, Toe said:

And this is true for a lot of kickers coming out of high school, too. Guys going for the block are bigger, faster, and jump higher than in HS, so they have to learn to kick higher.

Plus high school kickers are allowed to kick FG’s off a tee/block, while in college it’s off the ground. However, most kickers who are being recruited will do their practicing off the ground. 

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

"My kick propelled the team to a 63 game winning streak and 4 national championships, and Coach Frost always said my kick was the play which kick-started (pun intended) the Nebraska program's success under Coach Frost."

That's much better.  If you're going to tell a fishing story, you make it a whopper.  :D  

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Technically the roster can be as big as the coach wants it to be. It’s the number of scholarships which the limit is on. 

I could be wrong but I thought that if a scholarship player from another sport also played football it counts against the football as well (in stead?).  Otherwise wide receivers would have track schollies, linemen would be wrestlers, kickers would be soccer players, etc. and free up scholarships for QBs and defensive backs

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, huKSer said:

I could be wrong but I thought that if a scholarship player from another sport also played football it counts against the football as well (in stead?).  Otherwise wide receivers would have track schollies, linemen would be wrestlers, kickers would be soccer players, etc. and free up scholarships for QBs and defensive backs

I don't think he's on a athletic scholarship. Pretty sure he plays club soccer since Nebraska doesn't have mens soccer.