Frost play calling

17 minutes ago, theknife said:

This is the first game in which I'm truly concerned regarding the play calling. The past 2 games we finally establish some down hill running and we spent the first 3 drives calling reverses, gadget plays, and 15 screen passes? While you awkwardly insert Vedral into the game early in the middle of a series? 

We got way too cute and didn't put any one of the quarterbacks in a position to he successful. 

Right, how do you call that many lateral passes and not call the deep passes that are supposed to complement them?

9 minutes ago, brophog said:

The biggest mystery of the two years here for Frost is why this offense’s biggest selling point, explosive plays by the backs and receivers, has generated almost no developed talent at those positions. Has hugely affected playcalling.

Uh, Devine??? SMJ??? JD??? Won'Dale??? That's 2 1k yard guys and 1 with nearly 900 yards receiving this season, and a true frosh with over 800 combined offensive yards.

The issue isn't the skill position, it's the lack of O line talent.

Just now, ZRod said:

Uh, Devine??? SMJ??? JD??? Won'Dale??? That's 2 1k yard guys and 1 with nearly 900 yards receiving this season, and a true frosh with over 800 combined offensive yards.

Agreed, don’t see any issues with the skills guys, but f me the offensive and defensive lines...

Just now, ZRod said:

O line played pretty well today. They have looked better here at the end of the year

Just now, Good Tweetman said:

Agreed, don’t see any issues with the skills guys, but f me the offensive and defensive lines...

D line played pretty well top and they have all year. Our problem on defense is at LB

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

O line played pretty well today. They have looked better here at the end of the year

D line played pretty well top and they have all year. Our problem on defense is at LB

They improved, but they still have a long way to go.

I'll also mention that we need another wide receiver threat that's over 6 foot. It's been a rough year for the receiving corp minus JD.

3 minutes ago, ZRod said:

We were playing tight ends and QBs at receiver last week and we had to play a walk-on RB today because we have so much developed depth at those positions.

25 minutes ago, brophog said:

We were playing tight ends and QBs at receiver last week and we had to play a walk-on RB today because we have so much developed depth at those positions.

Do you even follow this team? Have you heard of injuries before?

45 minutes ago, ZRod said:

The O-line was working the last too games but Martinez not so much

3 hours ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

The play calling on the last offensive series just absolutely baffled me and was indicative of the entire season.

Play Adrian. Then play Luke for a scrub play that he had to make something out of nothing (which he still did).

By the way, show absolutely no confidence in your offense by deciding that was it.

Then raise the white flag, hope for overtime, but run out of bounds on 2nd down?

Then run up the gut for no time since Iowa used its last TO.

Game over from there on. Went from ALL THE MOMENTUM to flat line.

Scott needs to do some soul searching in the offseason.

I will add, we are almost at the bottom of red zone offense (OT is basically your red zone O)...Proof that the Big or Bust (chunk play O)struggles in the red zone.  Iowa is almost at the top of red zone defense.....We have no kicker....Why the hell didn't he go for broke with Luke....And like you mentioned, if you are playing for OT, pull your head out of your a$$ and make sure your QB stays in bounds......Stupid....

Sounds like he didn't even bother to tell Martinez how to handle the situation late in the game. 

“I understand what he was thinking,” Frost said of his quarterback. “It’s hard for a player to probably go straight from ‘We’re going to score and win this game’ mode to getting a 15-yard penalty. I haven’t seen it yet, but that can’t happen. Maybe I could have used a timeout there to make sure the kids understood.”