2020 Quarterback Competition

3 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

Yes, mr deer in the headlights ran out of bounds on 2nd down, saving IA a timeout when they had 1 left.  Overtime taken away on that very play.  A Mart is not a leader, played lost again.  

I agree. If Frost wanted to go to OT he should have told Martinez to kneel twice. Instead Martinez screwed up again and allowed Iowa one more chance and it cost the team.

Just now, Archy1221 said:

No but it prevented Nebraska from winning the game because he did nothing else the rest of the game and ran out bounds with roughly 40 seconds left giving the other team time that they would not have otherwise

Well that was pretty much the point that was made: the crowd was "groaning" when Martinez came back in.  And Nebraska scored, so it's completely moot.  No guarantees McCaffrey does much better later on given the field position given in the 4th quarter, kind of hard to justify putting your freshman in against a top 5 defense nationally inside your own ten yard line.  If they didn't call a bogus blindside block penalty, it's quite possible McCaffrey was left in the game, but we'll never know.  Martinez did screw up on that play, but leaving McCaffrey in if you're not playing to win is not that egregious an error IMO.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, dspanther05 said:

Yes he went three and out the next possession. He then handed the ball off all the way down the field and hit a dude wide open. 

False, play-by-play is available here https://huskers.com/sports/football/stats/2019/iowa/boxscore/12380 Nebraska scored on back-to-back drives.  Starting the drives at the 9 and 2 yard line in the 4th quarter were more informative to Nebraska's lack of success.  Doubt McCaffrey would have been called to take any crazy risks, either.  The next drive that started at the 20 was immediately boned by a false start by Austin Allen.

4 minutes ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

False, play-by-play is available here https://huskers.com/sports/football/stats/2019/iowa/boxscore/12380 Nebraska scored on back-to-back drives.  Starting the drives at the 9 and 2 yard line in the 4th quarter were more informative to Nebraska's lack of success.  Doubt McCaffrey would have been called to take any crazy risks, either.  The next drive that started at the 20 was immediately boned by a false start by Austin Allen.

Interesting, I see it differently, I see it whenever McCaffrey is in the game it's intended to be to take risks. Such as his TD throw which was thrown on the run, down field and having to open his entire body up to throw down field and make that throw.

The last play that got the penalty was also the same look, it wasn't there and he turned nothing into something little (although ultimately ruined by a bogus penalty call)

So I see when McCaffrey is in the game, it usually means a risk taking play call. 

Martinez was very predictable. Just handed it off to Mazour, repeat.

I know there will be a lot of talk about the competition for QB being open, but AM will be named starter. Then barring a life-changing event he will retain the hesitancy problem, always taking too long to make the wrong decision, and seeking to preserve himself....and that's why he'll get hurt again.  AM just seems to be working too hard at doing what McCaffrey makes look natural.  

• Fire 1

i like luke, but coming in for a few plays is different than managing a whole game. 

there will definitely be a legitimate qb competition this offseason, and i don't think anyone is the favorite right now.

whoever is going to give us the best chance to beat purdue is who should start the season. that is a must win game to start the season. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, lowkeyhusker said:

If AM continues to be the starter could Luke transfer?

That is my concern. Not sure how much of a "team player" Luke is..if he isnt the starting QB...but is asked to change positions..play receiver...would he be satisfied. My opinion...Luke is the better of the two right now  and will only get better by next year..

1 minute ago, Huskersince62 said:

That is my concern. Not sure how much of a "team player" Luke is..if he isnt the starting QB...but is asked to change positions..play receiver...would he be satisfied. My opinion...Luke is the better of the two right now  and will only get better by next year..

Agreed.

In my mind, most of the kids play college ball to get to the next level and get to the league. Is Luke a NFL caliber QB?.. maybe with how the league is changing with Mahomes and Jackson who knows... we'll have to see.

I said this maybe in this thread or another but if AM is the starter next year and wins QB1 by being the better QB with no politics.. we need to find a way to use Luke like the Saints use Taysom Hill. Hopefully, Luke isn't married to being QB to possibly be like his dad as receiver in the NFL

• Plus1 1