2020 Quarterback Competition

There is no QB competition. Luke McCaffrey is our QB and the future of the Huskers. Martinez is done. He needs psychological help beyond what the coaches can offer. He has lost his mojo since the start of the second year and he needs to find who he is as a player. If you can’t make reads and can’t find open receivers, you should not be a QB no matter how much Frost wants to push the matter. All season long, Frost kept pushing a square peg in a round hole...it cost us several wins, bowl eligibility, and having to listen to annoying Iowa fans tells us how they owned us in six of the last seven years. I will take Luke and his passion that is so visible over clueless lost Martinez any day of the year. So, there should be no competition and The sooner Frost realizes that Luke is the future, the better it is for everyone.

• Haha 1

I might be in the minority here, but I would be okay with a platoon system at QB if done right. Not like they did it today, but each QB has packages and plays but gets entire drives, not random plays here and there. Adrian can get more power run game and passing plays (if his accuracy improves), Luke can get more speed run game and play action plays.

If these guys are both truly team players, this could work, but they've got to buy in.

• Plus1 1

One good throw by Luke does not mean he outperforms Adrian on a consistent basis. Sorry to say it but if given a few plays in a change of pace situation Martinez would probably look incredible too. Honestly I think people blow Frost riding with Adrian out of the water. I think Frost will put the best player on a consistent basis in practice on the field for the game and thats what he did this season. Next year that person might not be Martinez, but it also might be too.

• Plus1 2
Just now, Nebfanatic said:

One good throw by Luke does not mean he outperforms Adrian on a consistent basis. Sorry to say it but if given a few plays in a change of pace situation Martinez would probably look incredible too. Honestly I think people blow Frost riding with Adrian out of the water. I think Frost will put the best player on a consistent basis in practice on the field for the game and thats what he did this season. Next year that person might not be Martinez, but it also might be too.

This is where I am at, too, although my defense of Martinez is getting weaker.  Like it or not, Martinez has been on the wrong end of the win-loss record more often than not.  All of those losses aren't Martinez's fault, but he does deserve some blame for it.  While he has made big plays to be good enough to win games, he has made mistakes which have been key to NU losses.  Against Iowa, he cannot run OB on that 2nd down at the end of the game.  Frost deserves blame because he has to make that abundantly clear or call a play which doesn't risk a player running OB.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

This is where I am at, too, although my defense of Martinez is getting weaker.  Like it or not, Martinez has been on the wrong end of the win-loss record more often than not.  All of those losses aren't Martinez's fault, but he does deserve some blame for it.  While he has made big plays to be good enough to win games, he has made mistakes which have been key to NU losses.  Against Iowa, he cannot run OB on that 2nd down at the end of the game.  Frost deserves blame because he has to make that abundantly clear or call a play which doesn't risk a player running OB.

Martinez was bad yesterday and running out of bounds cost us a chance in OT. He has struggled on and off this year and certainly wasn't the guy we expected. I think Luke would have been more exciting but likely more mistake prone, not that that would have cost us much looking back at things but that was probably the reasoning behind sticking with Martinez. I'm sure wanting to RS Luke factored in as well

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

Martinez was bad yesterday and running out of bounds cost us a chance in OT. He has struggled on and off this year and certainly wasn't the guy we expected. I think Luke would have been more exciting but likely more mistake prone, not that that would have cost us much looking back at things but that was probably the reasoning behind sticking with Martinez. I'm sure wanting to RS Luke factored in as well

I didn't have a problem with Martinez starting all this year.  I thought he was the best QB for the job, and gave the team the best opportunity to win games.  McCaffrey showed glimpses, but he wasn't physically ready to be the man this year.

Next year will be interesting because if McCaffrey can put on the necessary size and can make the necessary throws, he may win the job.  The most interesting aspect of McCaffrey is how well liked and how the younger players are gravitated to him.  From what I have heard, the class of 2019 recruiting class is very close, and McCaffrey is one of the biggest leaders of the group.  That intangible may be the thing which swings the QB job to McCaffrey for 2020.

• Plus1 1

29 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Maybe. But consistently making plays with no rhythm is not easy. Imagine being in a flow. 

Adrian is not a good player. The staff needs to move on 

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I didn't have a problem with Martinez starting all this year.  I thought he was the best QB for the job, and gave the team the best opportunity to win games.  McCaffrey showed glimpses, but he wasn't physically ready to be the man this year.

Next year will be interesting because if McCaffrey can put on the necessary size and can make the necessary throws, he may win the job.  The most interesting aspect of McCaffrey is how well liked and how the younger players are gravitated to him.  From what I have heard, the class of 2019 recruiting class is very close, and McCaffrey is one of the biggest leaders of the group.  That intangible may be the thing which swings the QB job to McCaffrey for 2020.

I feel like you can actually see that on the field. It seems like when Luke is in everyone plays harder and faster, almost like they have more faith in him. Maybe I’m just seeing things, but I wonder if Adrian has lost the team. Frosts decision may be made for him unless Adrian can become brilliant before spring

23 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

We need speed at the QB position and that means either getting AM healthy to pick up his pace or take a seat to McCaffrey, Vedral, or Smothers. Your last point is 100% correct. The football IQ is not high. 

Just now, HuskerJax said:

I feel like you can actually see that on the field. It seems like when Luke is in everyone plays harder and faster, almost like they have more faith in him. Maybe I’m just seeing things, but I wonder if Adrian has lost the team. Frosts decision may be made for him unless Adrian can become brilliant before spring

The one thing from Adrian which concerned me the most in the Iowa game was high body language.  He didn't look like he was having any fun and had very little energy.  Now, that could be because he was trying to figure out a very good defense and AJ Epinesa was getting regular pressure on him, and he could just be worn out after a long season.  Who knows.  I think that's the biggest thing with Martinez which Frost and Verduzco need to figure out.  Martinez has the physical tools they want, but his decision-making and other intangibles have been lacking this year.