2020 Quarterback Competition

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I didn't have a problem with Martinez starting all this year.  I thought he was the best QB for the job, and gave the team the best opportunity to win games.  McCaffrey showed glimpses, but he wasn't physically ready to be the man this year.

Next year will be interesting because if McCaffrey can put on the necessary size and can make the necessary throws, he may win the job.  The most interesting aspect of McCaffrey is how well liked and how the younger players are gravitated to him.  From what I have heard, the class of 2019 recruiting class is very close, and McCaffrey is one of the biggest leaders of the group.  That intangible may be the thing which swings the QB job to McCaffrey for 2020.

On your first paragraph I'm with you all the way. The coaches would have been foolish to not start him imo. 

On your second paragraph we agree again haha. I think the main thing for Luke will be throwing mechanics and making all the throws. He definitely has a charisma. He reminds me more of Christian than Dylan which I think is a good thing

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The one thing from Adrian which concerned me the most in the Iowa game was high body language.  He didn't look like he was having any fun and had very little energy.  Now, that could be because he was trying to figure out a very good defense and AJ Epinesa was getting regular pressure on him, and he could just be worn out after a long season.  Who knows.  I think that's the biggest thing with Martinez which Frost and Verduzco need to figure out.  Martinez has the physical tools they want, but his decision-making and other intangibles have been lacking this year.

Verduzco has said this system requires a quick processing, fast blinker an. Adrian is not that. Strong arm maybe, outside of that nothing else. 

9 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Maybe. But consistently making plays with no rhythm is not easy. Imagine being in a flow. 

Adrian is not a good player. The staff needs to move on 

The thing that makes this wrong is the situations McCaffrey is used in. Its easier to throw to recievers that are wide open on 1 man routes because the entire defense is expecting you to run it. McCaffrey isn't coming in and thowing a TD on a regular degular play. The play was designed to fool Iowa into thinking it was a QB sweep because McCaffrey is a more electric athlete and it worked to perfection. 

• Plus1 2
Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

Verduzco has said this system requires a quick processing, fast blinker an. Adrian is not that. Strong arm maybe, outside of that nothing else. 

Adrian has the size, strong arm, and running speed (when healthy), but I agree that he seems to be lacking the mental acumen needed to make the offense hum.  I think McCaffrey has the mental acumen and physical speed, but he doesn't have the prototypical size and arm strength.  Smothers may be the best combination of it all, but he may not be ready to challenge for the starting job in 2020.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

The thing that makes this wrong is the situations McCaffrey is used in. Its easier to throw to recievers that are wide open on 1 man routes because the entire defense is expecting you to run it. McCaffrey isn't coming in and thowing a TD on a regular degular play. The play was designed to fool Iowa into thinking it was a QB sweep because McCaffrey is a more electric athlete and it worked to perfection. 

Frost said that they created packages for McCaffrey and Vedral.  That means they weren't ready to handle all of the offensive playbook.  The play used for McCaffrey's TD pass was brilliant, but Iowa was ready for a similar play near the end of the game.  McCaffrey didn't have the deep route and also missed an open Warner for a first down on that play.  I commend Luke for scrambling and trying to get something, but Luke has made mistakes when he has played.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, r06ue1 said:

There is no competition for next season, it is AM as evidenced by yesterday's game.  

The coaches are growing frustrated with AM's mental aspect of the game.  You can't take yesterday's game or this year as a whole to say if there will or will not be a competition for next year.  If McCaffrey can make a jump physically and throwing the ball, he may make up the ground on Martinez necessary to win the job.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Adrian has the size, strong arm, and running speed (when healthy), but I agree that he seems to be lacking the mental acumen needed to make the offense hum.  I think McCaffrey has the mental acumen and physical speed, but he doesn't have the prototypical size and arm strength.  Smothers may be the best combination of it all, but he may not be ready to challenge for the starting job in 2020.

I hear you but I don’t think you need all those NFL prototype measureables to be elite in college. Colt McCoy, Johnny manziel, McKenzie Milton, Russell Wilson, kyler Murray. I’m just saying you can be undersized and not have big arm to excel in college. Kellen Moore was badass but didn’t have nfl arm 

Just now, Huskers93-97 said:

I hear you but I don’t think you need all those NFL prototype measureables to be elite in college. Colt McCoy, Johnny manziel, McKenzie Milton, Russell Wilson, kyler Murray. I’m just saying you can be undersized and not have big arm to excel in college. Kellen Moore was badass but didn’t have nfl arm 

You are correct, and Frost may go with McCaffrey because he's the best guy for the job going forward.

I’m beginning to think that the coaches continue to play Martinez because they feel responsible for his regression (to a degree) and feel some loyalty to him to help him work through it. I think he bulked up too much and it slowed him down.

The play calling indicates to me that Frost doesn’t trust Martinez and Martinez’s decisions indicate to me that he’s lacking confidence in himself and his teammates. I think the packages he “designed for Luke and Noah” were done because he doesn’t have the confidence in Martinez to make those same plays. Maybe because Martinez is injured?

Also, his ability to remain calm under pressure is good, and he was admired for that last year, but he just seems to lack the competitive edge he needs to be a leader. The Illinois game comes to mind - playing like he has all day to make a play...until he doesn’t. Then, he plays up-tempo and makes some great plays to win us the game. 

Frost continues to support Martinez to the media but I hope behind closed doors that he opens up the QB position next year. Either Luke wins the job or Martinez regains his competitive edge and wins it back. 

And what about the rumor that Milton is transferring here? Any one know if there’s any truth to this?

50 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

One good throw by Luke does not mean he outperforms Adrian on a consistent basis. Sorry to say it but if given a few plays in a change of pace situation Martinez would probably look incredible too. Honestly I think people blow Frost riding with Adrian out of the water. I think Frost will put the best player on a consistent basis in practice on the field for the game and thats what he did this season. Next year that person might not be Martinez, but it also might be too.

If he is the best player at that position then Nebraska needs a drastic upgrade at QB next year or it’s gonna more of the same in terms of overall record 

1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

He had to wait for Warner to clear the official.

Re-watch.  There was a window open over the left guard.  Warner can then catch and run more. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

If he is the best player at that position then Nebraska needs a drastic upgrade at QB next year or it’s gonna more of the same in terms of overall record 

Re-watch.  There was a window open over the left guard.  Warner can then catch and run more. 

This year he is next year he may not be. Why don't people get that? McCaffrey was not experienced enough as a QB to come in and take the job plain and simple. He is raw and if he would have been handed the keys he would have shown us that. 

14 minutes ago, r06ue1 said:

There is no competition for next season, it is AM as evidenced by yesterday's game.  

You are so wrong it's laughable. 

14 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

We’ll agree to disagree. As a former college athlete, it’s easier at a skill position to have rhythm and play often. Even if it creates more film for teams to scheme against. 

Either way, it’s going to be even tougher convincing someone Adrian is worth riding out. He showed absolutely nothing this year to warrant a loyalty or penning him in as next year’s starter. 

• Fire 1