2020 Quarterback Competition

19 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The coaches are growing frustrated with AM's mental aspect of the game.  You can't take yesterday's game or this year as a whole to say if there will or will not be a competition for next year.  If McCaffrey can make a jump physically and throwing the ball, he may make up the ground on Martinez necessary to win the job.

One can only hope, but I am not too hopeful.  

4 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

We’ll agree to disagree. As a former college athlete, it’s easier at a skill position to have rhythm and play often. Even if it creates more film for teams to scheme against. 

Either way, it’s going to be even tougher convincing someone Adrian is worth riding out. He showed absolutely nothing this year to warrant a loyalty or penning him in as next year’s starter. 

Sorry but your experience as a former college athlete doesn't mean jack squat. The coaches put McCaffrey in easy situations. As they should, he is a freshman with little experience at QB. But if Martinez were throwing to a wide open spielman off of a reverse he probably hits him for a TD. If Martinez came in for one play and had mainly been used as a runner all season he would have tossed a TD on that play too. I'm saying THIS SEASON Martinez was our best choice. McCaffrey would have limited the offense even more than it was and probably would have been more mistake prone. That's what happened in practice over hundreds of reps. What makes you think the games against tougher opponents would have went better? 

Obviously the competition is wide open for next season but McCaffrey has to get better at throwing the football if he wants to win.

13 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

This year he is next year he may not be. Why don't people get that? McCaffrey was not experienced enough as a QB to come in and take the job plain and simple. He is raw and if he would have been handed the keys he would have shown us that. 

You are so wrong it's laughable. 

You mean he wasn’t experienced to come in like AM did last year as a true freshman after not playing his senior year in HS?  That argument doesn’t work, but I do agree that McCaffrey was t physically ready enough to play.  With the way Frost likes to run the QB, he would have gotten killed:). 

• Plus1 1
Just now, Archy1221 said:

You mean he wasn’t experienced to come in like AM did last year as a true freshman after not playing his senior year in HS?  That argument doesn’t work, but I do agree that McCaffrey was t physically ready enough to play.  With the way Frost likes to run the QB, he would have gotten killed:). 

You're argument is stupid lol those 2 things are not nearly the same. Martinez played QB his whole career and after he got hurt was still working as a QB. He had a lot of experience. McCaffrey played QB his senior year in HS but otherwise was a receiver. Big difference in experience I would say.

5 minutes ago, huskered17 said:

I think all the qb's would look better, if Frost takes the swing pass out of his playbook.

GBR!!!

The swing pass is a key element of the offense, but it needs to have the vertical passing element to complement the horizontal passing. Whether it’s talent lacking at WR or TE to have a vertical threat or Martinez struggling with that throw, there is not a vertical passing threat down the seam of the defense. 

20 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Sorry but your experience as a former college athlete doesn't mean jack squat. The coaches put McCaffrey in easy situations. As they should, he is a freshman with little experience at QB. But if Martinez were throwing to a wide open spielman off of a reverse he probably hits him for a TD. If Martinez came in for one play and had mainly been used as a runner all season he would have tossed a TD on that play too. I'm saying THIS SEASON Martinez was our best choice. McCaffrey would have limited the offense even more than it was and probably would have been more mistake prone. That's what happened in practice over hundreds of reps. What makes you think the games against tougher opponents would have went better? 

Obviously the competition is wide open for next season but McCaffrey has to get better at throwing the football if he wants to win.

Apparently you must have missed the play before Luke came in.  Easy TD pass to JD that AM over threw.  

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The swing pass is a key element of the offense, but it needs to have the vertical passing element to complement the horizontal passing. Whether it’s talent lacking at WR or TE to have a vertical threat or Martinez struggling with that throw, there is not a vertical passing threat down the seam of the defense. 

I guess I should have said, until he has the players to make it work. He didn't this season, and he still kept calling it. How many times on first down, did it put the team in 2nd and long. 

Frost will make it work, hopefully with a couple more recruiting classes. We have the right coach now lets hope he gets the right players.

GBR!!!

24 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

You're argument is stupid lol those 2 things are not nearly the same. Martinez played QB his whole career and after he got hurt was still working as a QB. He had a lot of experience. McCaffrey played QB his senior year in HS but otherwise was a receiver. Big difference in experience I would say.

McCaffrey split time at QB his junior year with the Senstrom kid who went to Stanford. I do agree he wasn’t ready to be the full time guy this year. But he did play QB a little more than just one season. 

6 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Apparently you must have missed the play before Luke came in.  Easy TD pass to JD that AM over threw.  

A pass JD had coverage on him and there were other options to throw to. I'll maintain it is easier to complete a throw to a wide open guy on a 1 man route.

12 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

A pass JD had coverage on him and there were other options to throw to. I'll maintain it is easier to complete a throw to a wide open guy on a 1 man route.

Well in 1 throw he almost matched AM passing yardage and had more TDs for the game. You are grossingly overestimating AMs ability to throw. 

• Fire 1
35 minutes ago, dspanther05 said:

Well in 1 throw he almost matched AM passing yardage and had more TDs for the game. You are grossingly overestimating AMs ability to throw. 

And I think you and many others are looking way too much into 1 pass to a wide open receiver who was the only option 

• Plus1 2

Martinez did better in 2018 as he used his legs more and was able to create plays while in motion. He was coached this season to sit in the pocket more, and that is where everything seemed to break down. Now that we are getting a very good crop of QBs I would like to see Frost employ the option more and to roll out his QBs more to create space, and if the starter happens to get banged up, we have at least 2 or 3 other QBs that can come in and keep things moving.