2020 Quarterback Competition

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Would our backups have been better though? That is the question to which the coaches answer is no. I haven't watched a single practice but to suggest Frost is playing favorites just because is asinine. They grade every practice play and the decisions are made accordingly. Do you really think they do it any other way?

Yes I already answered you. Because it isn't based on in game play.

2 hours ago, HuskerPwr said:

I’m beginning to think that the coaches continue to play Martinez because they feel responsible for his regression (to a degree) and feel some loyalty to him to help him work through it. I think he bulked up too much and it slowed him down.

The play calling indicates to me that Frost doesn’t trust Martinez and Martinez’s decisions indicate to me that he’s lacking confidence in himself and his teammates. I think the packages he “designed for Luke and Noah” were done because he doesn’t have the confidence in Martinez to make those same plays. Maybe because Martinez is injured?

Also, his ability to remain calm under pressure is good, and he was admired for that last year, but he just seems to lack the competitive edge he needs to be a leader. The Illinois game comes to mind - playing like he has all day to make a play...until he doesn’t. Then, he plays up-tempo and makes some great plays to win us the game. 

Frost continues to support Martinez to the media but I hope behind closed doors that he opens up the QB position next year. Either Luke wins the job or Martinez regains his competitive edge and wins it back. 

And what about the rumor that Milton is transferring here? Any one know if there’s any truth to this?

A lot of good points here. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I’ve not heard anything on the Milton thing. 

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

You're right it isn't based on in game play. As I have said it is based on thousands of practice reps just like every other coach at the D1 level

You really think coaches all across America are basing playing time solely on practice reps and not performance in game? That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard and not true. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

17 minutes ago, dspanther05 said:

You really think coaches all across America are basing playing time solely on practice reps and not performance in game? That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard and not true. 

I agree...gameday performance is what really matters.  I could see 2 QBs sharing playing time to start the season potentially with McCaffrey winning out.  When Frost named AM the starter before the 2018 season we saw Gebbia bolt right away.  If McCaffrey is named the starter we would likely see Martinez bolt and be able to transfer for the 2020 season.  

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

I think something that will continue to doom this offense no matter who the quarterback is, is Frost outthinking himself and trying to be cute when it's not needed. It happened many times yesterday and caused negative plays when we were rolling. That needs to stop.

Good point here.  Mills was crushing much of the game, then all of sudden everyone is asking where is Mills? What happened to Mills? Etc...add that to the 20 swing passes that netted negative yardage.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
58 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'm not saying anything about that. 

Yep and that decision will be based of off meticulous grading of hundreds to thousands of practice reps.

And your of the impression that no coach has ever made a personnel mistake?  Or decided on a QB and got married to that decision too much that it clouded decision making when it was obvious to others that some type of change needs to me made?  Coaches are not infallible. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

19 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Good point here.  Mills was crushing much of the game, then all of sudden everyone is asking where is Mills? What happened to Mills? Etc...add that to the 20 swing passes that netted negative yardage.  

From my vantage point in the East Stadium Mills appeared to be getting worn out at times late in the game.  He certainly was giving it his all out there. 

2 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

From my vantage point in the East Stadium Mills appeared to be getting worn out at times late in the game.  He certainly was giving it his all out there. 

Very well could be.  Trying to remember, but didn’t Wyatt start that last drive we had in the game?  If so, no reason whatsoever to not have Mills play darn near every snap in the most important drive of the game.  

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, ndobney said:

Adrian Martinez runs this team Scott Frost does not it's very evident hopefully Luke McCaffrey doesn't transfer. 

While you didnt mean it literally, Adrian does run the offense. 

Lets look at this in a simple way, comparing the 2.

Adrian:

Pros;

-good athlete, big body can take contact

-has a talented arm

-Calm demeanor

Cons;

-Doesnt see the field

-Bad decision maker

-Both his "pro's" are negated by the fact 1-doesnt put it all on the line , and 2- whats a talented arm worth if you arent accurate and cant see the field.

Luke:

Pro's:

-Fast

-Out competes anyone

-Brings an energy and a toughness that radiates to the whole team

-Lays it all out there like a man possessed

Cons:

-Learning the position still (lack of experience)

-Small body, can he take a beating?

-Lots of unknowns about his passing ability and field reading ability

The thing is with Luke, his unknowns are already established weaknesses of Martinez.  So even IF he isnt a great passer or field reader, its still a wash.  The difference between the 2 is he is faster and a more fierce, determined baller.  The ONLY thing Adrian has over Luke is his body can take more hits...at least we assume that based on their size, but size is overrated.  Their are skinny kids who have extremely resilient bodies, just not a lot of mass.  So that is kind of an unknown.  

What it comes down to is will Frost make the right decision.  If Adrian is our QB nothing will change.  I believe that if Luke is our QB we grow leaps and bounds next year offensively, and have a tough, passionate attitude leading the offense which will permeate throughout the whole offense.  And while their will still be mistakes made, we can be proud and excited about our team

Edit: I think if we played Luke all game against Iowa, or even just from the time he threw the TD onward, we win that game and bring an excitement back to Nebraska.  We would all be looking foreard to how much passion and speed and hiw exciting our offense will be next year with Luke leading the charge.  Instead this whole state is dissapointed we threw a game away against our rival, missed a bowl, and more than anything we are getting apathetic thinking about how we will suck again next year cause we all know deep down that we will never be  a winning team with Adrian back their, and their isnt that much passion either.