2020 Quarterback Competition

5 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

I’m afraid that ego plateaus into it.  I mean, how could Scotty Frosty be wrong and who are the fans to question him?   There lies the issue

Nah. Luke is going to be great but he was too raw this year. Vedral knows the offense well but he just isn't the weapon Martinez is. Next year it will be an open competition and the best player will play I truly believe that just like this season. There is a good chance that is McCaffrey but I wouldn't rule out Martinez either. He has played pretty poorly this year but I do not subscribe to the notion that he is a bad player.

• Fire 1

29 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Nah. Luke is going to be great but he was too raw this year. Vedral knows the offense well but he just isn't the weapon Martinez is. Next year it will be an open competition and the best player will play I truly believe that just like this season. There is a good chance that is McCaffrey but I wouldn't rule out Martinez either. He has played pretty poorly this year but I do not subscribe to the notion that he is a bad player.

I think that’s a very fair statement. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
44 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Frost also has specific packages for McCaffrey to help him succeed.....limited reads, etc.

• Plus1 1

The starter is stinking it up, so you want to see what the backups can do because you've seen them come in fired up and run a few successful plays. Then the backup is called on due to injury and you find when they play an entire game they have their issues as well and they're nothing to write home to Ma about. 
There's a possibility that we don't have a superstar QB on the team. There's a possibility that Joe Burrows looks like crap with this line, these receivers, and this play calling.

I too would like to see McCaffrey run the entire play book and not just look like a rookie scrambling around or a guy called upon to run a trick play. He might be good....only one way to find out.

Martinez looks bad to fans because all we see and focus on are his mistakes. Martinez looks good to the coaches because they remember how many good things he has done and think he can do that again, while having more of the playbook available.

McCaffrey is like the new girl who is slightly different than your current girlfriend.  You are into her more because she’s a blonde instead of a brunette, and you think she will treat you better in the long run.  McCaffrey has done well in limited opportunities, but he hasn’t been asked to carry a team for an extended period of one game, let alone a full season.  It’s easy for fans to want to hope that McCaffrey will be better, but we aren’t exactly sure what will happen. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
6 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

If he is the best player at that position then Nebraska needs a drastic upgrade at QB next year or it’s gonna more of the same in terms of overall record 

Re-watch.  There was a window open over the left guard.  Warner can then catch and run more. 

Not a chance in hell I dedicate another minute to watching Nebraska football this year.  Feel free to post up the screenshot though and I'll take a look.

15 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Martinez looks bad to fans because all we see and focus on are his mistakes. Martinez looks good to the coaches because they remember how many good things he has done and think he can do that again, while having more of the playbook available.

McCaffrey is like the new girl who is slightly different than your current girlfriend.  You are into her more because she’s a blonde instead of a brunette, and you think she will treat you better in the long run.  McCaffrey has done well in limited opportunities, but he hasn’t been asked to carry a team for an extended period of one game, let alone a full season.  It’s easy for fans to want to hope that McCaffrey will be better, but we aren’t exactly sure what will happen. 

Martinez was a known commodity by the time the Iowa game rolled around. Leads the B1G in turnovers. Mobility in question, not fluid East to West - Frost doesn't trust him in the passing game - Iowa wasn't gonna let him beat them with his legs. McCaffery showed flashes of potential in his time in the game (and last week). Ability to hit the open man, good decisions on RPO, home run threat in the running game. It's not that McCaffery would have for sure given Iowa fits, it's the fact Iowa had proved they had Martinez pegged and a switch up could have caught them with their pants down - give McCaffery another series and see where it goes. 

36 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Martinez looks bad to fans because he what is possibly the worst touchdown to turnover ratio in P5 football.  He is also a 1 read QB which limits an offense’s possibilities.  He needs to get drastically better or someone else needs to fill the spot.  Another year of 2019 Martinez is a recipe for 5-7 or 6-6.  

I dare say, if our special teams wasn’t a dumpster fire and played barely above average along with competent QB play, the record would have been 8-3 this year. Even if nothing else changed. 

• Plus1 1

We went 5-7 with Amart mostly running the show this season.  So what if we would have had Luke in for more games and lost them, as long as he was progressing each week?

I would have much rather seen us go 5-7, trying to win more game with a less experienced Qb who is completely healthy, than go with a more experienced Qb, who doesn't seem 100%.  I guarantee that we would have won the Maryland game with any of our QB's.  Might have won the Colorado with a different QB.  Purdue most for sure we would have won that game because Amart missed so many easy throws early in that game, that would have been a blow out in our favor.  

I would agree, that maybe we are not the far away, based on some on field bias, but we are still miles away based on the rest of the programs make up from coaching staff down to the players and making it all come together on the field.