2020 Quarterback Competition

I bet Martinez has at least one surgery in the next week or two.  He had to have been injured.

It's either that, or Frost doesn't have much faith in him at all because if he is everything that Frost PUBLICLY proclaims he is why would he have sub packages for backup QBs?

If he is really a dude, you don't take him off the field.  I think he is hurt or Frost had decided he needs to open up the competition.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

I bet Martinez has at least one surgery in the next week or two.  He had to have been injured.

It's either that, or Frost doesn't have much faith in him at all because if he is everything that Frost PUBLICLY proclaims he is why would he have sub packages for backup QBs?

If he is really a dude, you don't take him off the field.  I think he is hurt or Frost had decided he needs to open up the competition.

Probably wait until the end of the semester or when Martinez gets back for 2nd semester, but I also expect to have surgery on his shoulder and possibly on his knee.

I think Frost played the other QB's against Iowa because he knew Martinez was limited with his injuries and Frost was trying to get some package plays with Vedral and McCaffrey for a big play.  One of those package plays with McCaffrey worked for a TD.

• Fire 1
26 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

I would not doubt it but shouldn't be playing if he requires surgery. It is hard to really wrap my head around how bad he actually was. If being injured was not the reason he played so bad. I also see no reason why he should be the starter going forward 

3 minutes ago, ndobney said:

I would not doubt it but shouldn't be playing if he requires surgery. It is hard to really wrap my head around how bad he actually was. If being injured was not the reason he played so bad. I also see no reason why he should be the starter going forward 

There are many types of off season surgeries which can be done.  Cleaning out the shoulder a bit is a surgery which a lot of players can play through.  Martinez was also playing because Vedral was injured and McCaffrey was also trying to recover from an injury himself.  Do you want Frost to start Bunch?

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

My thoughts exactly. You don’t design packages for backup quarterbacks against a better team when a bowl game is on the line unless you don’t have confidence in your starting QB to make those plays.

QBR leaders for 2019 according to ESPN -

1. Tagovailoa - 94.4

2. Fields - 93.2

3. Burrow - 92.9

4. Hurts - 92.1 

5. Huntley (Utah) - 88.7

6. Morgan (Minn) - 84.3

71. Martinez - 58.2

McCaffery didn’t have enough games to show up on the list, but he did have enough plays (30+) to have 95% confidence that his QBR would have been roughly the same throughout the season. Luke has an 89.2 QBR

As with any set of statistics, there is variability and correlation components that need to be taken into consideration. However; Central Limit Theorem, The Law of Large Numbers and Standard Error suggest that Luke’s sample size is enough for a comparison. Therefore:

1. Tagovailoa - 94.4

2. Fields - 93.2

3. Burrow - 92.9

4. Hurts - 92.1 

5. McCaffery - 89.2

6. Huntley (Utah) - 88.7

7. Morgan (Minn) - 84.3

72. Martinez - 58.2

Based on inferential statistical analysis, Luke won By a landslide this year (5% error allowed). I’ll leave the eye test arguments to everyone else.

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

I just don’t buy the injury talk.  If a player is injured, he should be easy to pull.  He didn’t appear, to most of us, to be the best option at QB for most of the year.  If was injured and not the best option, why leave him in.  That just doesn’t make sense.

I think Frost really botched these last few games.  I believe it was more about fostering AMs confidence as the #1 than winning.  AM is their guy and I think Frost will go with him win/lose.

He will be number #1 after Spring Ball.  They will say Luke looks really good and is pushing AM.  They will be co #1 in fall camp and he will pick a starter the night before the game......taking transfers of the table.

Bottom line....I just don’t see how this team can win with AM.  Too many turnovers (in scoring position) and too many missed opportunities.

19 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

You're right it isn't based on in game play. As I have said it is based on thousands of practice reps just like every other coach at the D1 level

Sometimes it’s a flawed system. Some kids are gamers

Tebow was known as bad practice play

When Tua come in for Hurts and won the natty- pretty obvious the backup was better 

Frazier took over as freshman- pretty obvious the backup was better 

• Plus1 1

24 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Looking at our play calling I would say frost had a limited playbook for Martinez too. Very boring, not at all like UCf. Hardly anything over 10 yards 

That’s also due to having limited options at WR and TE who can stretch the defense vertically, along with an o-line which struggled in pass protection early in the season. I agree that Martinez struggles with the deep throws down the seams, but there are numerous reasons why Frost was limited to short passes to the outside. 

21 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Looking at our play calling I would say frost had a limited playbook for Martinez too. Very boring, not at all like UCf. Hardly anything over 10 yards 

As has been discussed a lot, it doesn't seem like Frost could open up the playbook.  We simply didn't have effective blocking much of the season.

I will give Greg Austin credit for improving the offensive line, but a couple of those starters could be backups next year.

Six players were drafted over a two year period at UCF after Frost.  That won't be the case even after three seasons at Nebraska.

It should look better every year now as Frost brings in talent and gets it ready for B1G football.

It'll be all good 

Trying to stay out of The “Who is better” debate, I will say that I watched the 2018 Iowa game right before 2019 just for fun.  You wouldn’t know it is the same qb if they didn’t use the same name on broadcast. They looked dramatically different. 2018 was quick. 2019 had no first step. 2018 was decisive, 2019 was not. 2018 could pull away, 2019 could not.  Could be injury, could be weight, could be other weapons around him but clearly they were not the same. In the off season I hope Frost tells or at least hints as to why that is.