2020 Quarterback Competition

7 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

How's this sample size - 15 losses in two years with Adrian labeled as the leader of this team, almost half as him co-captain.  

The last 20 years doesn't need to delude people into loving mediocrity and failure.  Adrian personifies these traits, especially in his 2nd season campaign.  He is not the guy.  Period.  Now will the millionaires who make these choices see this fact?  Unsure.  But I don't think we need to waste seasons due to ego or naivety.  

And we have no wins under backups while he has been here so how did that stat work out for ya? 0-3 in games he hasn't played. Wanna compare the offensive numbers in those games? I bet it wouldn't go the way you want it to

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

And we have no wins under backups while he has been here so how did that stat work out for ya? 0-3 in games he hasn't played. Wanna compare the offensive numbers in those games? I bet it wouldn't go the way you want it to

One was this year against Minnesota.  No QB we had was winning that game.  

Whatever we want to believe about '19, Luke is the better '20 option.  Adrian is slow.  He's has very little football IQ.  And he is not a leader.    I hope the kid gets healthy and this season doesn't scar him.  I also hope he is never the 1st string NU QB again.  

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

One was this year against Minnesota.  No QB we had was winning that game.  

Whatever we want to believe about '19, Luke is the better '20 option.  Adrian is slow.  He's has very little football IQ.  And he is not a leader.    I hope the kid gets healthy and this season doesn't scar him.  I also hope he is never the 1st string NU QB again.  

Can't take you seriously with takes like this. Martinez wasn't very good this year and if he doesn't improve McCaffrey will likely be the better option by a wide margin but alot can happen between now and next season. I want our best QB on the field whether that is Luke or Adrian or Logan Smothers. To say you hope Martinez is never the 1st string QB again is pretty short sighted. 

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

Can't take you seriously with takes like this. Martinez wasn't very good this year and if he doesn't improve McCaffrey will likely be the better option by a wide margin but alot can happen between now and next season. I want our best QB on the field whether that is Luke or Adrian or Logan Smothers. To say you hope Martinez is never the 1st string QB again is pretty short sighted. 

I've seen his ceiling and regression.  If he truly ends up the best I'd be shocked.  "Starter" in Scott's ecosystem has not shown me that equals the best chance to win games.  

8 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

I've seen his ceiling and regression.  If he truly ends up the best I'd be shocked.  "Starter" in Scott's ecosystem has not shown me that equals the best chance to win games.  

Freshman year is the ceiling, got it. You probably thought Taylor Martinez had hit his ceiling after his sophmore year too

7 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Nah, I just knew Taylor wasn't going to lead NU to anything substantive either.  It must be a Martinez thing.

Yes because the quarterback is the sole difference between wins and losses. Not like an 8-5 Wisconsin that we had already beat scored 70 on us or anything. Totally Taylor's fault we never won a CC when he was here.

Maybe the QBs performance has more to do with the team around him than you'd like to admit.

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yes because the quarterback is the sole difference between wins and losses. Not like an 8-5 Wisconsin that we had already beat scored 70 on us or anything. Totally Taylor's fault we never won a CC when he was here.

Maybe the QBs performance has more to do with the team around him than you'd like to admit.

Tantamount to the QB is line play (D and O).  Certainly not all on the QB.  But Adrian showed his deficiencies.  Time to give the reins over.

What I'd really like to see (and they probably do this already to the nth degree) is to have some G.A. put together a mashup of comparative down and distance plays from 2018 vs 2019.   I.E. First and 10, Martinez runs a read-option and compare it exactly 2018 vs. 2019. 

3rd and less than 10 ...  same deal....same play, same direct year to year comparison;  3rd and long.. same deal. I believe a direct year-to-year comparison in the same down and distance situation would be illuminating for the coaches and the quarterback to see and compare,  and perhaps to discern exactly what is different. Just a thought.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I bet if you checked the numbers they would be pretty close to the same but without the interceptions.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

That is exactly how polls like Rasmussen and Reuters work....and they are generally pretty accurate.

Small sample size leads to skewed results. That's statistics. I can find you the academic literature that supports that if you want but its basic statistics