2020 Quarterback Competition

39 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Well he only had 3 incompletions but those 3 must have been really bad apparently.

Completions don't necessarily mean good passes. I guess my main point was that we have seen a lot of McCaffrey running. We have seen very little of his passing. I'm not really sold on his passing ability yet given the small sample size. 

• Fire 1

On 3rd & long situations where Adrian would wind up not finding a guy, scrambling to the sideline, and throwing it away I don't think we can say for sure he should have made the majority of those plays. I know he typically wasn't seeing his check-down man. But it's hard to say if guys weren't consistently getting open downfield or if the pass protection was actually good enough, in my opinion.

Where he was really bad on so many plays this season was throwing the easiest possible ball - the running back bubble screen. In almost too many times to keep track, he'd throw it too high, too low, or way too hard. 

But the thing is...it's stupid to assume with certainty that McCaffrey wouldn't have done the same thing. That's the thing.

That's one thing that definitely definitely frustrated me with Martinez this season.  The easy throws usually to a running back or tight end that were basically pitch and catch type of throws that 2AM managed to rush and throw low or behind the receiver who was open.  There is simply no excuse for that.  At all.

He looked like an off kilter and not confident QB this year compared to last that's for sure.  Definitely much slower also.  He's got great ability and he showed that some this year and definitely last but you can just tell he wasn't there mentally this year.

19 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

That's one thing that definitely definitely frustrated me with Martinez this season.  The easy throws usually to a running back or tight end that were basically pitch and catch type of throws that 2AM managed to rush and throw low or behind the receiver who was open.  There is simply no excuse for that.  At all.

He looked like an off kilter and not confident QB this year compared to last that's for sure.  Definitely much slower also.  He's got great ability and he showed that some this year and definitely last but you can just tell he wasn't there mentally this season compared to last.

Actually, those throws may look "simple" but they require proper footwork and leg drive just as a longer throw does.  I think Martinez's mechanics were off this year due to a number reasons.  The key one is struggling through injuries.  If a QB has injured legs or shoulders, his mechanics will suffer.  He won't want to focus on having proper mechanics during practice, because it probably causes pain to do so.  His throws in games will also suffer do to the anticipated pain.  I have seen this first-hand, as a kid who has great technique and fundamentals, starts to perform worse when he's dealing with an injury.

IMO, Martinez's best passing on "easy" and short throws was against Wisconsin.  I remember him hitting receivers on short swing passes in stride and with strong throws.  He was showing proper footwork and leg drive on those throws.  That game was probably his healthiest of the year.  He had sit a couple games out, and then had a bye week after Purdue.  By the Iowa game, his legs were getting sore again and he was also dealing with one less day of rest after the Maryland game.

I don’t think AM has been very effective since his first year and especially after the injury.  His passing lacks accuracy many times- not accurate and often forcing the receiver to break his stride.  
against Iowa, he threw a pick deep that would have been a TD if thrown 1 second sooner.  He missed another deep one too high that would have bee a TD also.  I heard a Sipple video where it was stated there 30 short passes where 18 were for loss or little gain.  I think the lack of deep passing may be that our O line usually fails sufficient time.  AM may also lack confidence to throw deep, hesitates to run, and dumps off passes when rattled.  
AM also does not show speed like he did in his first year.  He doesn’t cut well and has no break away speed now- nagging injury?

Frost needs to give all a chance but the starter needs to perform runs and passes not just tailored packages.

Also, Frost needs to have someone to call the plays but ban throwing into the flats.  They just wasted plays.  Football is a north-south game including receivers.

I made a comment once that we should have had Burrow when left Ohio State since he was a legacy.  A response said we never had a chance with him.

During the game, the announcers said that Burrow asked to come to Lincoln but was turned down by Frost.   The announcers said Frost promised AM that he would not recruit any more QBs.

We potentially missed a Heisman QB.  
Who evaluates the talent in Lincoln?  Are they recruiting for the benefit of a player or  for the team?

10 minutes ago, URSS said:

I made a comment once that we should have had Burrow when left Ohio State since he was a legacy.  A response said we never had a chance with him.

During the game, the announcers said that Burrow asked to come to Lincoln but was turned down by Frost.   The announcers said Frost promised AM that he would not recruit any more QBs.

We potentially missed a Heisman QB.  
Who evaluates the talent in Lincoln?  Are they recruiting for the benefit of a player or  for the team?

There's an entire thread on the Burrow situation.

• Plus1 1

In the first half of the Colorado game and the second half against Illinois, Martinez played lights out. We know he can play that way because he did it this season. 

Imagine a slightly improved offensive line, a fully healthy Wan'Dale Robinson, and a version of Dedrick Mills that finds holes like he did against Wisconsin, Maryland, and Iowa. The whole offense is different.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The key one is struggling through injuries.

I think it's a great point. So many people are talking about our overall record with 2AM as the QB. Ok, we started the first half of the season 4-2. Sure we played two creampuff teams in those two wins.

But when he came back against Purdue he didn't play well and it's probably not a coincidence. It probably coincides with injury.

The key is probably for the staff to have the depth we need to not bring him back too early but to play Vedral/McCaffrey in such a situation if he's not ready. We should have beaten Purdue and it's a shame that we didn't.

4 minutes ago, Undone said:

In the first half of the Colorado game and the second half against Illinois, Martinez played lights out. We know he can play that way because he did it this season. 

Imagine a slightly improved offensive line, a fully healthy Wan'Dale Robinson, and a version of Dedrick Mills that finds holes like he did against Wisconsin, Maryland, and Iowa. The whole offense is different.

I think it's a great point. So many people are talking about our overall record with 2AM as the QB. Ok, we started the first half of the season 4-2. Sure we played two creampuff teams in those two wins.

But when he came back against Purdue he didn't play well and it's probably not a coincidence. It probably coincides with injury.

The key is probably for the staff to have the depth we need to not bring him back too early but to play Vedral/McCaffrey in such a situation if he's not ready. We should have beaten Purdue and it's a shame that we didn't.

Martinez didn't play well the first half against Purdue, but he was also rusty, which led to an inconsistent first half.  He also made a great scramble and throw to Noa on 4th down to set up the first TD.  Late in the 3rd quarter and into the 4th quarter, Martinez caught fire and made the plays to get NU ahead twice.  The D couldn't get the stop in the 4th quarter for the win.  Unfortunately, the D played well the first 20 minutes of the game, and set up the offense with short fields, but the offense couldn't score the points to put Purdue away.  In that game, both units took turns giving the game away.

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Martinez didn't play well the first half against Purdue, but he was also rusty, which led to an inconsistent first half.  He also made a great scramble and throw to Noa on 4th down to set up the first TD.  Late in the 3rd quarter and into the 4th quarter, Martinez caught fire and made the plays to get NU ahead twice.  The D couldn't get the stop in the 4th quarter for the win.  Unfortunately, the D played well the first 20 minutes of the game, and set up the offense with short fields, but the offense couldn't score the points to put Purdue away.  In that game, both units took turns giving the game away.

This happened in several games this season.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

There really is no good scenario for the excuses for the AM performance issues posted by some here.   None what so ever including injuries.   Why?   Because Frost has a perfectly capable back-up in Noah, and an acceptable back-up in Bunch (if not willing to burn LM redshirt).

Just because Frost could effectively play through a couple minor injuries in a totally different scheme - - well, that doesn't always translate to other QB's & different schemes.

Urban Meyer also put the spotlight on changing the status quo (saying N needs to "look under the hood" . . . . meaning QB to start).

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

People call those simple passes for a reason, they are much more simple to execute.  Would I expect a 75 year old grandma to make them?  No.  But a 19 year old experienced QB can adjust to make correct throws.  Martinez has been misfiring on the passing game because of reluctance to deliver the ball.  The substitutes have had very little problem delivering to the same targets in the correct progression at the correct time.  And most QB starters don't pad stats against weak competition, they deliver reliably and through the progression.  Martinez has delivered passes that were easy when stretching the defense would have helped the team.  Three and outs sticking to simple doesn't cut it at this level.  But it does look good on stat sheets.

• Fire 1

Watch Martinez when he runs an option, and watch McCaffery when he runs an option.  There's a definite killer instinct gap there in the way that very simple play is run.

Why is that?  Well, for McCaffery it:

Helps that your mom was once good enough of a soccer player to be in Sports Illustrated.

Helps that you have a Dad who is a Pro Bowl three time Super Bowl champion,  revered for his fearlessness when he played the game.

Helps that your maternal grandfather won a Silver medal in the Olympics, and held world records in track and field at one time or another.

Helps you have a brother with NFL experience as a receiver, a brother playing QB at another B1G school right now, and another brother who is arguably the best at his position in the NFL, and a legit MVP candidate.

Let's face it - the kid grew up watching the killer instinct around him from Moms to Pops. 

Now, I'm not saying that Martinez isn't tough.  Quite the opposite.  Having read his story, takes huge stones to be in a basketball game, dislocate your shoulder, pop it back in, go BACK into the game, dislocate the shoulder again, then be told you'll never play football again at 100%.  All this only years after losing his mother to cancer (something I am all too familiar with, like others).  Kid is tough, he's a freaking stud physically. 

But maybe his mind just isn't there.  That doesn't make him mentally or emotionally weak.  Maybe he's worried about being seriously hurt again to the point he won't be able to play anymore?  I don't know what it is, but it's like a stone that has seemed to be hung around his neck.  All of it at 19 years old, too.  That's a hellova burden to bear.

What can Frost do to help him gain confidence?  When Martinez is on top of his game - he's virtually unstoppable.  How can you have that be more constant?

How about more creative playcalling?  Mixing up formations and plays.  Focusing on the running game.  Committing to the passing game and abandoning the run game FOR THREE QUARTERS may not help a guy who is struggling for whatever reason.  Calling bubble zone passes on almost every drive doesn't help a guys confidence if that guy goes 3 and out on 4 straight possessions.

• Plus1 4

I posted this in another thread as well, but in my opinion this board really underestimates how hard it is to be a QB with bad line play. We have few comparisons of what Vedral and McCaffrey have done when AM is sitting out. I bet if either Vedral or McCaffery played the majority of the season they would be looking just like AM. It's almost like we forget that we have coaches that do this for a living. They see things that we dont. The issue is the O-line, and it will make a great QB look average. We have freshman on the line, a tight-end playing center, and a tackle out of position. Anyone that has played football will know how hard it is to be a QB with bad line play. Everything is more stressful, nothing coms easy, there is no rhythm, and you end up relying way to much on the playmakers. Unfortunately our average/good playmakers can't overcome this all the time. How many times this year did we actually drive the ball, a true football drive? I don't have the stats but based on what I saw, a lot of times we would score because we would rely on big plays. This is because of the play-makers. We won't be good again until we establish the O-line. Do you remember the drive Wisconsin had against us in the 3rd quarter where they marched all the way down the field with 10+ plays, 7-8 yards here and there, mostly runs, and burned clock. Thats what an o-line can give you. Given that we are Nebraska, if we can establish the O-line play, alongside our playmakers we will be really really good. Until then... any QB will struggle.

• Plus1 2