2020 Quarterback Competition

27 minutes ago, madrat said:

Yet our backups play with the same constraints and do well.  Enough with excuses.  If the job is overwhelming let the next guy take a stab at it.  The best will shine under pressure, the worst will melt like a snowflake.

Vedral didn’t actually do well. McCaffrey did well running the ball, and the limited pass plays he was asked to perform. The pass in the Iowa game was a trick play. That’s like saying Mike Stuntz deserved to be QB over Crouch because of 41 Back Flash Reverse. 

• Plus1 4

52 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Vedral didn’t actually do well. McCaffrey did well running the ball, and the limited pass plays he was asked to perform. The pass in the Iowa game was a trick play. That’s like saying Mike Stuntz deserved to be QB over Crouch because of 41 Back Flash Reverse. 

Ummm...there was no trick play on his TD pass to JD.  It was a roll left and throw across his body for a TD.  

8 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Ummm...there was no trick play on his TD pass to JD.  It was a roll left and throw across his body for a TD.  

It was a trick play, inserted for that game and used for a specific situation. It wasn’t a run-pass option for McCaffrey.  It was a hard rollout left for Luke, with the idea of sneaking JD behind the defense who would be keyed on McCaffrey running the ball. It was much like using a Wildcat RB/QB and having that Wildcat RB/QB throw the ball, to try and trick the defense. It was the epitome of a trick play.

Frost even said after the game that Vedral and McCaffrey were going to be used for certain package (trick) plays. Frost wasn’t using Luke in that situation as another choice at QB for a few series.  Luke was put in to run that special play, and it worked. Then Luke went back to the bench, as was planned. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It was a trick play, inserted for that game and used for a specific situation. It wasn’t a run-pass option for McCaffrey.  It was a hard rollout left for Luke, with the idea of sneaking JD behind the defense who would be keyed on McCaffrey running the ball. It was much like using a Wildcat RB/QB and having that Wildcat RB/QB throw the ball, to try and trick the defense. It was the epitome of a trick play.

Frost even said after the game that Vedral and McCaffrey were going to be used for certain package (trick) plays. Frost wasn’t using Luke in that situation as another choice at QB for a few series.  Luke was put in to run that special play, and it worked. Then Luke went back to the bench, as was planned. 

So rolling left for a QB to pass is considered a trick play?  Okay!!!

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Just because it wasn’t a flea flicker, halfback pass, or fumblerooski, doesn’t mean that specific play wasn’t a trick play. They were going to run that play with McCaffrey, and he was going to go back on the bench regardless if it worked or not.  

• Plus1 2

It's called a deception play, not a trick play.  It is no different then TO running an option pass back in the day or current teams running the quick passes to the sideline only to hit one deep off the same set-up.  That is why they call those plays.  Frost used LM to run options to the left against Maryland for a reason.  He was setting up another play, whether it be against against Maryland that game or Iowa. 

Sorry if we disagree about the definition of a trick play.  

• Plus1 1
On 11/29/2019 at 6:18 PM, 10_point_buck said:

After Luke led us to a TD, anyone with a brain figures he comes back in a rides the momentum.  Nope, Mr. Ego Scotty Frosty, could never be wrong so deer in the headlights Martinez comes back in to again lead us to defeat.  The very audible collective groan of the stadium when #2 came back in said it all.  

You and 80K other fans in Memorial stadium.  Luke is not only more decisive, passes more accurately and runs more aggressively, but also elevates the play of those around him.  He's a gamer.  I'm a Frost believer, but I have wonder if he's too close the situation to see the forest through the trees.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, Skeeball said:

You and 80K other fans in Memorial stadium.  Luke is not only more decisive, passes more accurately and runs more aggressively, but also elevates the play of those around him.  He's a gamer.  I'm a Frost believer, but I have wonder if he's too close the situation to see the forest through the trees.

He really did on those 12 passes he threw.  Shall we get him Heisman odds already or what?!

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

I think it was definitely deceptive. I didn't think McCaffrey was coming in the game to throw the ball, considering most of his previous plays were runs. Iowa obviously thought the same thing, because JD was wide open

1 hour ago, Igetbored216 said:

I also don't know how anyone could say McCaffrey is a better QB. He's definitely good at running the option, but I haven't seen him throw enough to know if he's good at that. 12 passes isn't enough to determine that. 

It would be hard to be a worse passer than what we've had from our starter.  Id put my money on the unknown in this bet.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
10 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Frost said packages not trick plays.  They are not the same thing.  You build a series of plays around a look, and this is referred to as a package.  Every coach refers to play series as a package.  McCaffrey made a read and hit the open guy, that is all.

Vedral runs the progression.  Vedral's 50% passing is much better for the team than the 67% of simple throws made by Martinez.  Vedral focuses on the defense and taking chunks.  Martinez has about a quarter per game where it looks like he has focus then it unravels.  Martinez focuses too much on the dink in the dink and dunk offense when it is the dunks that open up the run game.

7 hours ago, Igetbored216 said:

I also don't know how anyone could say McCaffrey is a better QB. He's definitely good at running the option, but I haven't seen him throw enough to know if he's good at that. 12 passes isn't enough to determine that. 

The average fan wants to see Martinez on the bench once he unravels.  When he unravels our offense goes into turtle mode.  When he's hot he's hot, but when he's indecisive it falls on the defense too much.  And our defense cannot carry this team.

10 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

It's called a deception play, not a trick play.  It is no different then TO running an option pass back in the day or current teams running the quick passes to the sideline only to hit one deep off the same set-up.  That is why they call those plays.  Frost used LM to run options to the left against Maryland for a reason.  He was setting up another play, whether it be against against Maryland that game or Iowa. 

Sorry if we disagree about the definition of a trick play.  

Not pulling hairs here because this is kind of silly, but to deceive somebody by definition means to trick someone. 

• Plus1 2