2020 Quarterback Competition

3 hours ago, Undone said:

Fake news. Here's proof from https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4243539/noah-vedral:

image.png.eb1a5811a386df6675eb5a64d2d7a20f.png

No...I'm not going to do that. I wasn't one of the people saying that "Vedral is better than Martinez." That comment is directed at that crowd. 

Or conflicting sources.  https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/boxscore?id=31014

I found the issue.  RTG is conventional QBR whereas the QBR used by ESPN is adjusted.  So I was correct.

• Fire 1

16 hours ago, Undone said:

Iowa learned their lesson the first time.

This sounds like something somebody would say that hasn't ever listened to a single Scott Frost presser. Frost doesn't comment on injuries unless they're season-ending. This is common knowledge and goes back to early last year when this pattern of his first emerged.

We are in the off season, why would it matter to keep this surgery a "secret"....  your comment makes no sense what so ever

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

We are in the off season, why would it matter to keep this surgery a "secret"....  your comment makes no sense what so ever

I figured you were saying "Why didn't Frost tell everybody that Martinez was hurt during the season?" 

Someone else can chime in but I think Frost did actually hint in one of the last pressers that Martinez had been playing injured. He just didn't go into specifics.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

I figured you were saying "Why didn't Frost tell everybody that Martinez was hurt during the season?" 

Someone else can chime in but I think Frost did actually hint in one of the last pressers that Martinez had been playing injured. He just didn't go into specifics.

No, I get during the season...  but why not now..  after the season..?  it would defiantly explain his drop off but open other questions as to why he was being used hurt..

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

Eerily similar to another Martinez....hobble an injured QB out there who can't do what he is supposed to do instead of playing a possibly not as talented backup (maybe debatable) who is probably at or much closer to 100%...guess we didn't learn our lesson the first time. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

No, I get during the season...  but why not now..  after the season..?  it would defiantly explain his drop off but open other questions as to why he was being used hurt..

I think it's just Frost's style. I really don't think there's anything else to it. 

We want more info as fans, but it seems like Scott just doesn't gaf.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Aliens05 said:

Eerily similar to another Martinez....hobble an injured QB out there who can't do what he is supposed to do instead of playing a possibly not as talented backup who is probably at or much closer to 100%...guess we didn't learn our lesson the first time. 

This is one of those tough situations where we, as fans, can only rely on the coaching staff's opinions and perspectives. The only assumption we can safely make is that Martinez was still, in their opinion, the best quarterback for the job. I feel pretty confident that Frost & Co. are playing the players they believe give them the best chance to win, but they're also trying to do what they believe is best for each player overall.

As for Martinez' potential injury, I guess that's certainly possible, but I also felt AM had quite a few problems this year that appeared more mental than physical.

• Fire 1

Martinez scrambling into pressure was troubling. He should have been stepping under it.  Sometimes he ran away from pressure which is just as bad of a choice.  Vedral knew how to step under it, so I think it was a mental break on Adrian's part.  But gosh darnit it was so repetitive!  That alone is good reason to sub.

12 hours ago, Undone said:

He did.  said he's been injured.....Didn't state specific injury.  I posted the comments earlier.  If I can find the thread, i'll repost here.  IIRC, It was a recent presser.

Here it is

“Adrian’s been hurt this year and that certainly affected it,” Frost said after the Iowa game. “We need to find more people that can be open for him more consistently so he can trust that, we got to protect him better. I’m not defending anybody on the team, we all need to get better, but there’s a lot of things that need to happen a lot better around whoever’s playing quarterback.”

://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/a-look-at-the-key-offseason-questions-in-front-of/article_46034902-2fd2-5af7-a178-2c3d82ee412b.amp.html

• Plus1 2

18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I haven't waded through this entire thread but I assume there has been speculation about his health and surgery after the season.  This would seem to support that.

IF this is indeed the case, it really makes me question why when the other two were healthy they didn''t see more playing time. If it hindered him that much, in effect hindering the team, then why would you not play someone who isn't banged up. I realize that Vedral was banged up at times too...but not the whole season. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Aliens05 said:

IF this is indeed the case, it really makes me question why when the other two were healthy they didn''t see more playing time. If it hindered him that much, in effect hindering the team, then why would you not play someone who isn't banged up. I realize that Vedral was banged up at times too...but not the whole season. 

I can't say for certain.  But maybe Adrian's injury wasn't going to get worse, and the staff still thought Martinez gave the team the best chance to win. 

I mean, the Huskers still lost both games that Martinez didn't take snaps.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, funhusker said:

I can't say for certain.  But maybe Adrian's injury wasn't going to get worse, and the staff still thought Martinez gave the team the best chance to win. 

I mean, the Huskers still lost both games that Martinez didn't take snaps.  

Why not just tell the media he’s not 100%? Seems like you’re just doing yourself and Martinez a disservice by not disclosing his injury. 

10 hours ago, Aliens05 said:

The Tweet says after Purdue, Martinez was wearing a harness on his left shoulder. Vedral was injured the entire final month of the season, and McCaffrey was also unable to suit up for Purdue and Wisconsin.  Prior to the Purdue game, Martinez sat out Minnesota and Indiana after injuring his knee against Northwestern.

7 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Why not just tell the media he’s not 100%? Seems like you’re just doing yourself and Martinez a disservice by not disclosing his injury. 

Frost doesn’t disclose non-season ending injuries, although I do think he could have said recently that Adrian has had surgery to clean up his shoulder which was injured during the season.