2020 Quarterback Competition

Ultimately, it's a no-win situation for Adrian. He could win the job outright in both Spring and Fall camps, but the same birds that have been chirping all season will come back with the "Frost handed him the job" narrative, and at the very first sign of any sort of problem, will begin crowing again like they did this season. 

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Ultimately, it's a no-win situation for Adrian. He could win the job outright in both Spring and Fall camps, but the same birds that have been chirping all season will come back with the "Frost handed him the job" narrative, and at the very first sign of any sort of problem, will begin crowing again like they did this season. 

I don't disagree with you here....but if the problems last the entire season again they will crowing rightfully so. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, Aliens05 said:

I don't disagree with you here....but if the problems last the entire season again they will crowing rightfully so. 

Biggest thing to me that seems to have gotten ignored/lost probably due to sheer frustration by some fans after the three loss streak of Minnesota/Indiana/Purdue was just how terrible the pass protection was. It was bad most of the season. It got a little bit better around the Wisconsin game (as did run blocking) but still probably graded out as a D or maybe C- for the year on the whole in my opinion.

If Adrian comes back 100% healthy next year but the pass blocking still sucks, we'll probably see similar results but as @Cdog923 alluded to, many will parrot the narrative they believe to be true.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2

On 12/11/2019 at 2:41 PM, Undone said:

Biggest thing to me that seems to have gotten ignored/lost probably due to sheer frustration by some fans after the three loss streak of Minnesota/Indiana/Purdue was just how terrible the pass protection was. It was bad most of the season. It got a little bit better around the Wisconsin game (as did run blocking) but still probably graded out as a D or maybe C- for the year on the whole in my opinion.

If Adrian comes back 100% healthy next year but the pass blocking still sucks, we'll probably see similar results but as @Cdog923 alluded to, many will parrot the narrative they believe to be true.

The pass blocking was good the last half of the season, and Adrian still looked just as bad.  If Adrian isnt vastly improved next year we will see similar results, but many will parrot the narrative that the offensive line can always take the blame for everything.

Adrian made the pass blocking look worse than it was initially.  He was not eluding the committed rush lanes correctly and forced unnecessary sacks.  There were times he could have simply stepped outside the tackle and dumped the ball, but he held on trying to hold out longer.  Just not smart football, which is why many Husker fans hated watching the train wreck.  Finding out he was injured just makes diehard fans pissed at Frost for keeping him in.  It was a terrible idea to play through it.

• Plus1 3
7 hours ago, madrat said:

Adrian made the pass blocking look worse than it was initially.  He was not eluding the committed rush lanes correctly and forced unnecessary sacks.  There were times he could have simply stepped outside the tackle and dumped the ball, but he held on trying to hold out longer.  Just not smart football, which is why many Husker fans hated watching the train wreck.  Finding out he was injured just makes diehard fans pissed at Frost for keeping him in.  It was a terrible idea to play through it.

We wanted to redshirt Luke, and Noah was hurt for some games.  So the decision to play Adrian wasnt as bad as it looked.  But i agree that we should have played Noah when he was healthy.  The point is Adrian's poor play had to do with more than just his injuries.  And had nothing to do with pass blocking the second half of the year.  Like you said it was like he didnt have a feel for the game at all.  Maybe he wasn't there mentaly. Not just his field vision in the passing game, but also his feel for how to find the spots to step into to buy more time.

Unless Adrian just wasn't there mentaly and he gets their by next season, i really believe Luke needs to be our guy.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I doubt that. I think Martinez is your starter but hopefully they will get smart enough to use Luke in some packages and find him ways on the field.

I assume Martinez wasnt fully healthy but I think Frost has hitched his wagon to him. Vedral is a solid backup but I am just hoping this was just a bad year for Martinez because it seemed like his struggles were far more than just an injury... but he is still young, so I am fine with working through them.

23 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I doubt that. I think Martinez is your starter but hopefully they will get smart enough to use Luke in some packages and find him ways on the field.

I assume Martinez wasnt fully healthy but I think Frost has hitched his wagon to him. Vedral is a solid backup but I am just hoping this was just a bad year for Martinez because it seemed like his struggles were far more than just an injury... but he is still young, so I am fine with working through them.

Eh, I don't think there's much reason to not believe him.  I'm sure he still believe in Martinez and thinks he'll be the guy.  But things can go south in a hurry if you're not playing someone who's clearly better.  Especially if you're losing games.

I think it's more likely that there was a bunch of stuff going on this year that all played into Martinez not playing as well as we thought.  Which was still much better than a lot of people want to believe.  And Frost has a much better handle on all that than any of us do.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 2