2020 Quarterback Competition

On 12/13/2019 at 8:52 AM, BigPeterJ said:

Unless Adrian just wasn't there mentaly and he gets their by next season, i really believe Luke needs to be our guy.

Frost knows about the calls for McCaffrey.  In the presser he said something to the effect of the entire state of Nebraska loving Luke.

Frost was very complimentary of Smothers too......

On 12/18/2019 at 4:09 PM, TheSker said:

Frost knows about the calls for McCaffrey.  In the presser he said something to the effect of the entire state of Nebraska loving Luke.

Frost was very complimentary of Smothers too......

On 12/18/2019 at 5:07 PM, Stumpy1 said:

Smothers is in the same mold of Mariotta IMO,  strong arm, great speed and has the size that we like.  

I think AM will be named the starter but hopefully he has a short leash, especially after this year's performance. 

I agree Adrian will be named the starter next fall.  I think he stays healthy and plays well in 20 with actual WR and a good line.  I expect Smothers to pass McCaffrey on the depth chart.  I expect McCaffrey will change positions or leave if it becomes clear he won't play QB.

I also expect that to make a lot of people salty.

:thumbs

11 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I agree Adrian will be named the starter next fall.  I think he stays healthy and plays well in 20 with actual WR and a good line.  I expect Smothers to pass McCaffrey on the depth chart.  I expect McCaffrey will change positions or leave if it becomes clear he won't play QB.

I also expect that to make a lot of people salty.

:thumbs

I really believe Luke will be a game changer by the time he is a senior if not earlier.  So i hope he changes positions in that scenario.  I just think the passion he plays with and the energy is contagious.  If Adrian is the starter, he better be a completely different QB than this year.

36 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

I really believe Luke will be a game changer by the time he is a senior if not earlier.  So i hope he changes positions in that scenario.  I just think the passion he plays with and the energy is contagious.  If Adrian is the starter, he better be a completely different QB than this year.

I think Luke deserves to be on the field, don't get me wrong, he is an A+ athlete.  I do think Adrian plays much better next year.

On 12/10/2019 at 7:04 PM, funhusker said:

I can't say for certain.  But maybe Adrian's injury wasn't going to get worse, and the staff still thought Martinez gave the team the best chance to win. 

I mean, the Huskers still lost both games that Martinez didn't take snaps.  

I get that. But we probably would have lost regardless who played QB because we looked just as bad if not worse when he played all year. I am not sold a non throwing arm injury made him miss his reads, look slow and throw inaccurate? 

• Plus1 2
38 minutes ago, OH HSKR FAN said:

This has been a problem since Taylor Martinez.    The incumbent doesn’t lose his job to poor performance.     Granted the QB rooms have been horrible until recently but it’s an observation of the last decade.

Not sure the QB rooms have been all that bad.  How bad were we under Cody Green?  He fit our system, but he wasn't a bright guy to pack up and go to the system at Tulsa.  Tulsa was 8-5 and  11-3 with him there.  Obviously someone beat him out for a reason.  But he was actually pretty good at minimizing turnovers when he did play.  He's coaching now at UNLV now, so he couldn't have been too terrible.

• Haha 1

On 12/20/2019 at 7:47 PM, madrat said:

Adrian has steadily worsened over his two seasons and it's not like he just suddenly started playing poorly in season 2.  When he begins next season the same way, the fear is we repeat the same stubbornness to move on.

Wait are you claiming Adrian was getting worse as the season went on last year? 

11 hours ago, OH HSKR FAN said:

This has been a problem since Taylor Martinez.    The incumbent doesn’t lose his job to poor performance.     Granted the QB rooms have been horrible until recently but it’s an observation of the last decade.

When did Taylor play bad enough over a 2+ game stretch that he should have lost his job, and who should he have lost it to? 

• Plus1 2
On 12/20/2019 at 10:09 AM, BigPeterJ said:

Make it an open QB competition, but practice reps in a green jersey are not always a very good indication of performance on Saturday's.  We have a deep QB room and need to make use of it if needed.  Keep the QBs on a short leash until we figure out who is the fastest blinker on Saturday's.

• Plus1 1

You do realize that 'fast blinkers' theory is more or less about small organisms and has little to do with fast performance?  We just plain need a smarter breed of football at Nebraska.  The reason Devaney was so good was he put it on the staff to think and left it on the players to react.  He held people accountable by replacing underperformers.  But when it gets down to the nitty gritty, he minimized thinking out of most of the players.  The coaches and a few select leaders do all the thinking in a system like he ran.  You don't need to be a fast blinker, you need to be a fast do-er.

• Haha 1
50 minutes ago, madrat said:

You do realize that 'fast blinkers' theory is more or less about small organisms and has little to do with fast performance?  We just plain need a smarter breed of football at Nebraska.  The reason Devaney was so good was he put it on the staff to think and left it on the players to react.  He held people accountable by replacing underperformers.  But when it gets down to the nitty gritty, he minimized thinking out of most of the players.  The coaches and a few select leaders do all the thinking in a system like he ran.  You don't need to be a fast blinker, you need to be a fast do-er.

Isn't blinking doing something? 

• Haha 1