2020 Quarterback Competition

42 minutes ago, desertshox said:

correct, but in the OL thread the grades you were referring to came from PFF which isnt the coaches grading, it is a site entirely separate from nebraska football. so, the grades you keep referring to as the coaches grades are not the coaches grades.

And when did I point at them?  I never said anything about PFF grades.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Landlord said:

What makes anything a trick play?

Actually, that’s a good question. 

I've always thought the term “trick play” is used way too much. Many times, it’s used simply to describe a play that fools the defense into thinking something else is going to happen.  

Why is a play action pass less of a trick play than a half back pass?

Are the direct snaps to the RB we do a trick play?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I guess I don’t see it. He’s a QB that threw a pass. 

The point isn’t that it was a QB throwing a pass. The point is that Luke wasn’t coming in to take over for Adrian and be the QB for the rest of that game or even that series. He was brought in to run that specific “gadget” play which was designed specifically for Luke.  That’s why basically it was a trick play. If the pass had been incomplete or Iowa’s DBs stayed on Spielman and Luke ran the ball for a few yards, he was most likely returning to the bench on the next play.  That’s why Adrian went back at QB the next offense play/drive after the Luke TD pass. If Frost were trying a different QB to test something out with the QB’s, Luke would have came back in at QB the next drive. But, because Adrian came back in, it shows that the play was basically a trick play and Luke was only used for that specific play. 

Next year when a guy turns the ball over I hope we have more emphasis on correcting the problems.  Regardless of if the margin is -2 or -3 turnovers our chances of winning drops to around 21%.  Bad enough -1 turnover margin knocks about 5% off your chances already!  We cannot have a turnover prone QB running the show anymore.  It was ridiculous to hear the excuses this past year let alone in 2018.  Find the best through your rotation rather than sticking to a favorite.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, madrat said:

Next year when a guy turns the ball over I hope we have more emphasis on correcting the problems.  Regardless of if the margin is -2 or -3 turnovers our chances of winning drops to around 21%.  Bad enough -1 turnover margin knocks about 5% off your chances already!  We cannot have a turnover prone QB running the show anymore.  It was ridiculous to hear the excuses this past year let alone in 2018.  Find the best through your rotation rather than sticking to a favorite.

What teams actually do this? Not successful ones. They take enough practice reps to determine who the best player is.

• Fire 1

35 minutes ago, Mavric said:

What you linked to when asked about it earlier.

You have the wrong guy, because I did not link to it.  What Nebfanatic alludes to is that SSO didn't have direct access to the material.  He did know people that could verify it.  I know at least two guys on there that were able to speak specifically about it so I knew they had it.  Nobody is going to - at least I hope they do not due to its sensitive nature - put it out to the public.  If you want to really find inside information I suggest you use the PM's over there because the threads get polluted by a few jokers.  I hope Max really likes those few people that dominate the board because they are pretty closed to anything beyond pumping sunshine and drinking koolaid.  That is fine when we are winning, but right now this team is a WIP moving at a slow pace.  Slow and steady does win the race, but it is painful to see missed opportunities to accelerate the process.

• Haha 2
29 minutes ago, madrat said:

You have the wrong guy, because I did not link to it.  What Nebfanatic alludes to is that SSO didn't have direct access to the material.  He did know people that could verify it.  I know at least two guys on there that were able to speak specifically about it so I knew they had it.  Nobody is going to - at least I hope they do not due to its sensitive nature - put it out to the public.  If you want to really find inside information I suggest you use the PM's over there because the threads get polluted by a few jokers.  I hope Max really likes those few people that dominate the board because they are pretty closed to anything beyond pumping sunshine and drinking koolaid.  That is fine when we are winning, but right now this team is a WIP moving at a slow pace.  Slow and steady does win the race, but it is painful to see missed opportunities to accelerate the process.

A direct quote from your friend Short Side in that thread you posted

"I'm using the 3rd party that Rivals uses, Pro Football Focus."

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The point isn’t that it was a QB throwing a pass. The point is that Luke wasn’t coming in to take over for Adrian and be the QB for the rest of that game or even that series. He was brought in to run that specific “gadget” play which was designed specifically for Luke.  That’s why basically it was a trick play. If the pass had been incomplete or Iowa’s DBs stayed on Spielman and Luke ran the ball for a few yards, he was most likely returning to the bench on the next play.  That’s why Adrian went back at QB the next offense play/drive after the Luke TD pass. If Frost were trying a different QB to test something out with the QB’s, Luke would have came back in at QB the next drive. But, because Adrian came back in, it shows that the play was basically a trick play and Luke was only used for that specific play. 

So, if we have big bruising back that’s only brought in for a goal line play then take out, is that a trick play?

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
22 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, if we have big bruising back that’s only brought in for a goal line play then take out, is that a trick play?

Well, it’s fairly normal to play 3-4 running backs in a typical college game. It’s not normal to play 3 QB’s in one game, and bring in one of those QB’s for a play SPECIFICALLY called for him being the QB, unless it’s a gadget/trick play.