2020 Quarterback Competition

10 minutes ago, madrat said:

The sample size was small for Tommie Frazier in 1992.  But fans got it correct using the Mark I Eyeball test.  There is a good vibes coming from the McCaffrey experience in 2019.  Fans are high on him for a reason.  That's no trick.

Frazier started the final 6 games of the regular season and the bowl game.  He went 5-2 in those games. It’s not nearly the same situation.

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Well, it’s fairly normal to play 3-4 running backs in a typical college game. It’s not normal to play 3 QB’s in one game, and bring in one of those QB’s for a play SPECIFICALLY called for him being the QB, unless it’s a gadget/trick play. 

Well I guess it is fairly normal to run trick plays 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, if we have big bruising back that’s only brought in for a goal line play then take out, is that a trick play?

Depending on context, kinda? Y'all are getting *way* too hung up on technicalities and not discussing the spirit behind why it was referred to as such in the first place. 

1 hour ago, madrat said:

The sample size was small for Tommie Frazier in 1992.  But fans got it correct using the Mark I Eyeball test.

He played in 9 games, started 7 of them, threw 100 passes and ran 86 times. What the hell are you talking about? 

• Plus1 1

Now that they have 4 scholarships QB's and 2 walkon QB's,   I would like the coaches to change the rules around QB's in practice.  Get rid of the green jersey no hit rule.  Make them live with a don't blow them up contraint.   I want to see Qb's that are battle ready, battle tested and tough.   Martinez is 225.   He should be Jamal Lord like in that he is a big tough QB that runs with authority.   I think he was thinking too much last season so maybe they should simplify some things for him.  Also I want them to not only test on plays and reading defenses but make sure they have game time awareness!   Know when to run out of bounds and when not too!   Know when to run clock.   Aaaargh. 

Oh and I love the bootleg run/pass.  One of my all time favorite plays.    Play action should always have a place in a playbook IMO.  It gets you a 1/2 second to second of free time. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, flatwaterfan said:

Oh and I love the bootleg run/pass.  One of my all time favorite plays.    Play action should always have a place in a playbook IMO.  It gets you a 1/2 second to second of free time. 

I agree with play action but I take it you are meaning more the under center variety which has is more effective if you have your back to the defense.   This offense has a lot of misdirection in the form of RPO but is different than traditional play action from under center. 

7 minutes ago, flatwaterfan said:

Now that they have 4 scholarships QB's and 2 walkon QB's,   I would like the coaches to change the rules around QB's in practice.  Get rid of the green jersey no hit rule.  Make them live with a don't blow them up contraint.   I want to see Qb's that are battle ready, battle tested and tough.   Martinez is 225.   He should be Jamal Lord like in that he is a big tough QB that runs with authority.   I think he was thinking too much last season so maybe they should simplify some things for him.  Also I want them to not only test on plays and reading defenses but make sure they have game time awareness!   Know when to run out of bounds and when not too!   Know when to run clock.   Aaaargh. 

Our three scholarship QBs all ended up injured this year without being hit in practice. If we start hitting QBs in practice we're going to be seeing what Masker can do or we'll be searching campus for a QB. 

Runningblind - I actually wasn't thinking about it that way, but you are right.   So applying your valid point I would like us to be able to do both -  under center and shotgun.  I hate being in shotgun on the goal-lines and in short situations.  So I think there is a time&place for both.

Wyo - I respectfully disagree.   It can happen certainly but we use to do it that way in the past.    I think teammates are smart enough not to light up their own QB.  Otherwise they may end up running steps and get a but chewing and ostricated by teammates.   I just think live action is invaluable.  Need to teach kids not to be afraid.  If you got 1 guy and no experience than I can see hands off or if they are trying to get over a bruise  other than that it should be football not 7 on 7.

QBs need to see some things at 100% speed to build good habits.  I didn't take it that you're asking for no holds barred contact on QBs.

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

He played in 9 games, started 7 of them, threw 100 passes and ran 86 times. What the hell are you talking about? 

Mike Grant was a wonder kid, until he wasn't.  Fans saw enough of Frazier that they were crying for him.  Osborne acknowledged the fan sentiment.  It was pretty self evident to fans, but Osborne wanted to ease him into taking snaps.  Circumstances forced the issue and Tommie became the man.  McCaffrey got the hook when his play suggested he was capable of great things.

I guess people forget Martinez came into Nebraska with minimal experience.  Frost sees him as the best athlete for the role.  The kid can pound the Maryland's of the conference.  But we really need someone that is going to stay mentally in the big games.

11 minutes ago, madrat said:

I guess people forget Martinez came into Nebraska with minimal experience.  Frost sees him as the best athlete for the role.  The kid can pound the Maryland's of the conference.  But we really need someone that is going to stay mentally in the big games.

Martinez came in with minimal experience? Lol how does that stack up to McCaffreys one year of starting in HS? Martinez was starting as a Soph in HS.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, flatwaterfan said:

Wyo - I respectfully disagree.   It can happen certainly but we use to do it that way in the past.    I think teammates are smart enough not to light up their own QB.  Otherwise they may end up running steps and get a but chewing and ostricated by teammates.   I just think live action is invaluable.  Need to teach kids not to be afraid.  If you got 1 guy and no experience than I can see hands off or if they are trying to get over a bruise  other than that it should be football not 7 on 7.

Frost has the team go thru plenty of live scrimmage situations where they take off the green jerseys on the QB’s.  They don’t go thru the entire practice without any contact.  The last thing the QB’s need is to take a hit for no reason at all. 

It was the last scrimmage situation of the 2018 fall camp where Martinez put on a show in live drills which won him the starting QB job over Gebbia.

On 11/30/2019 at 10:23 AM, Nebfanatic said:

Sorry but your experience as a former college athlete doesn't mean jack squat. The coaches put McCaffrey in easy situations. As they should, he is a freshman with little experience at QB. But if Martinez were throwing to a wide open spielman off of a reverse he probably hits him for a TD. If Martinez came in for one play and had mainly been used as a runner all season he would have tossed a TD on that play too. I'm saying THIS SEASON Martinez was our best choice. McCaffrey would have limited the offense even more than it was and probably would have been more mistake prone. That's what happened in practice over hundreds of reps. What makes you think the games against tougher opponents would have went better? 

Obviously the competition is wide open for next season but McCaffrey has to get better at throwing the football if he wants to win.

McCaffery was clearly the better passer this year.  The 2019 Martinez wouldn't have been able to complete that throw across his body rolling left to a wide open Spielman.  Teams played a lot of zone against us knowing that Martinez was not accurate enough to exploit it.  Yes, other teams watch film too.  Performance in a green jersey in practice is not always indicative of performance on Saturday.  I'm all for an open QB competition, but our QB room is too deep to struggle along for a whole season with a QB that is anointed the last week of fall camp.  Give the starter a chance to prove himself, but given the strength of our schedule we can't afford to keep a very long leash on our starter.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Frost has the team go thru plenty of live scrimmage situations where they take off the green jerseys on the QB’s.  They don’t go thru the entire practice without any contact.  The last thing the QB’s need is to take a hit for no reason at all. 

It was the last scrimmage situation of the 2018 fall camp where Martinez put on a show in live drills which won him the starting QB job over Gebbia.

You sure about the "live" QBs in practice?  Every practice clip I've seen has the QBs in green jerseys (including the spring game) and/or the defense easing up as they make the "tag your it" tackle.

21 minutes ago, Skeeball said:

McCaffery was clearly the better passer this year.  

Strong disagree. I think every pass McCaffrey threw this year was one option or run it. Martinez would have hit Spielman for a TD on the reverse in the Maryland game instead of massively underthrowing him like McCaffrey did. If McCaffrey had to make reads and all the throws he would have struggled this year. More than Martinez.

• Plus1 1