2020 Quarterback Competition

8 minutes ago, madrat said:

Your facts sound like opinions, especially how you remember Cody Green.  And you want to say Martinez has more experience so it excuses his performances, which is also just another opinion.  I have an opinion that performance matters.  I also have an opinion that great people are excellent groomers of great people.  So Like growing up in a family of athletes that know the game at a professional and all-American level does likely rub off.  And his ability to repeat the track record of his older brothers lends credence to that theory.

I haven't said a word about Cody Green. Get ya posters straight. You said Martinez has minimal experience which is a weird comment to make when Luke has less experience at the position. That is not an opinion.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Saban played hurts all year then tua came in the natty game and led them to the win. I think even frost commented how did it take all year to figure out he was better than hurts or something to that effect. 

The point is sometimes coaches stick with what’s comfortable. Saban stuck with hurts because he trusted him due to games played vs tua potential.

Hurts also led them to a 26-2 record including two national championship game appearances, so it wasn't like he was a slouch or it was exceedingly obvious that he should get benched. There's no way to say if Tua was better than Hurts all season; maybe Tua came on strong late, maybe Hurts got into a funk late, maybe it was something specific about that game.

So so even Saban makes mistakes and maybe luke is tua and frost can’t see it quite yet. 

You can't even say it was a mistake; Saban won a national championship making the right decision. How is that a mistake? :P

2 hours ago, madrat said:

So I'm not sure how you judge QBs because so far you're bagging on guys that got stuck behind Martinez for no good reason.

I'm not sure how you judge QBs, you just used the crowd chanting one of their names as evidence that they're better.

34 minutes ago, madrat said:

Your facts sound like opinions, especially how you remember Cody Green.  And you want to say Martinez has more experience so it excuses his performances, which is also just another opinion.

I was the one who brought up Cody Green, not him. And for the record, Green was a bad quarterback. And he didn't say Martinez' experience excuses his performance. He said Adrian has more quarterback experience coming into NU than Luke, because you used a lack of experience as an argument against Adrian, but you haven't used it the same against Luke. You're logically  inconsistent and all over the place and you can't seem to understand what people are saying to you and who the people are.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

McCaffrey threw 12 passes this year. 12. That's barely a half of football. So all the genious QB evaluators in this thread can see less than a half off football and determine a player is the better passer, fastest blinker, better runner and whatever nonsense is tossed out in here? Our coaches who have watched these guys throw hundreds of pases can't see that? All of you better be making millions as QB coaches or you're just tossing out nonsense. 

• Fire 1
On 12/3/2019 at 11:26 PM, Igetbored216 said:

I also don't know how anyone could say McCaffrey is a better QB. He's definitely good at running the option, but I haven't seen him throw enough to know if he's good at that. 12 passes isn't enough to determine that. 

But is he throwing to the correct guy on those 12 plays?  Just wanted to comment so our profile pics could be together

49 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

McCaffrey threw 12 passes this year. 12. That's barely a half of football. So all the genious QB evaluators in this thread can see less than a half off football and determine a player is the better passer, fastest blinker, better runner and whatever nonsense is tossed out in here? Our coaches who have watched these guys throw hundreds of pases can't see that? All of you better be making millions as QB coaches or you're just tossing out nonsense. 

Not only did McCaffrey only have 12 passes, but most of them were screen plays or 1-2 man routes where he was looking for one wide open receiver. 

• Plus1 1

In the interest of curiosity, I went and watched the Indiana game, which I never saw because I was working that day. I also watched all of Luke's passes from every other game

1st pass - Simple halfback screen dump, complete

2nd pass - Rollout right, no reads just a single receiver wide open in the endzone, complete (receiver had to adjust awkwardly as it wasn't really in stride and on the numbers, but was fine nonetheless)

3rd pass - Incomplete, threw it in the dirt 3 yards in front of the receiver

4th pass - No read, simple dump out to Wandale in the flat, complete (good pass, on the numbers in stride)

5th pass - Pump fake to Wandale, went through a read, nice play complete to Noa for a first down

6th pass - bubble to Wandale, complete but at his feet

7th pass (Maryland) - trick play black 41 flash reverse - complete, would have been a touchdown if he didn't underthrow Spielman

8th pass - incomplete, i guess trying a back shoulder end zone throw? Threw it in the dirt 2 yards short of the receiver's feet

9th pass - bubble to woodyard, no read, complete, good throw

10th pass - pop pass handoff to woodyard on end around

11th pass - rollout left, incomplete to hickman

12th pass (Iowa) - arguable "trick play", no read, wide open to JD in stride for a touchdown

I mean...

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
11 hours ago, madrat said:

That same Luke McCaffrey offered by Ohio State, Michigan, Washington, Virginia, Mississippi, Colorado, Duke, Colorado State, and Western Kentucky.

That same Luke McCaffrey that is son of Ed McCaffrey, head coach of his high school team, Stanford All-American, and 13 years in the NFL.  And who did Luke not start over?  His brother, Dylan, who has multiple Colorado Class 5A state championship wins under his belt and now is on the Michigan roster as a QB.  Then Luke took over and won the Class 5A state championship, too.  Ed didn't too bad, because his oldest son, Max, had a pretty good professional career as a wide receiver.  His next oldest was a Heisman candidate as a RB at Stanford and then went to Carolina for the pros.  And now both Dylan and Luke are in major college programs.

Adrian doesn't get his name called out loud by fans every time he enters the game.  That "LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE" that erupts from the fan base is because he is exciting.  I can't wait to see if they both lead their teams when Michigan comes to Lincoln in 2021.

So I'm not sure how you judge QBs because so far you're bagging on guys that got stuck behind Martinez for no good reason.

Can we all agree that we need to find a way to get this kid on the field more than a handful of plays over the course of the next season.  He has all the indications of being a gamer who makes positive things happen and elevates the plays of those around him.  The same could be said of the 2018 Martinez.

• Plus1 1

43 minutes ago, Skeeball said:

Can we all agree that we need to find a way to get this kid on the field more than a handful of plays over the course of the next season.  He has all the indications of being a gamer who makes positive things happen and elevates the plays of those around him.  The same could be said of the 2018 Martinez.

I have a feeling that if he truly is the gamer people like you and I think he is, he will show it this offseason to the point the team wont be able to deny he needs to be the starter.  I know its different when your playing 2 hand touch on the QB but he can still show it.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Landlord said:

In the interest of curiosity, I went and watched the Indiana game, which I never saw because I was working that day. I also watched all of Luke's passes from every other game

1st pass - Simple halfback screen dump, complete

2nd pass - Rollout right, no reads just a single receiver wide open in the endzone, complete (receiver had to adjust awkwardly as it wasn't really in stride and on the numbers, but was fine nonetheless)

3rd pass - Incomplete, threw it in the dirt 3 yards in front of the receiver

4th pass - No read, simple dump out to Wandale in the flat, complete (good pass, on the numbers in stride)

5th pass - Pump fake to Wandale, went through a read, nice play complete to Noa for a first down

6th pass - bubble to Wandale, complete but at his feet

7th pass (Maryland) - trick play black 41 flash reverse - complete, would have been a touchdown if he didn't underthrow Spielman

8th pass - incomplete, i guess trying a back shoulder end zone throw? Threw it in the dirt 2 yards short of the receiver's feet

9th pass - bubble to woodyard, no read, complete, good throw

10th pass - pop pass handoff to woodyard on end around

11th pass - rollout left, incomplete to hickman

12th pass (Iowa) - arguable "trick play", no read, wide open to JD in stride for a touchdown

I mean...

What dump off pass doesn't begin with reads?  I think you aren't seeing what is really visible in a play and have missed it because may you don't know it at a very detailed level.  You called one pass a handoff.  Very odd.  You're still calling his last TD a trick play which is preposterous.

8 hours ago, madrat said:

What dump off pass doesn't begin with reads?  I think you aren't seeing what is really visible in a play and have missed it because may you don't know it at a very detailed level.  You called one pass a handoff.  Very odd.  You're still calling his last TD a trick play which is preposterous.

It would be a lot easier for people to be interested in trying to have a conversation with you if you would at least make any effort whatsoever towards reading comprehension.

The first time I used the word dump was in the context of a designed runningback screen. The second time was slightly more ambiguous, and maybe it was the wrong word to use, but it was designed to be a quick easy throw out into the flat with no read through progressions, which it was. I can understand if you use the word dump differently when talking about passing, but it's clear to anyone with any reasonable amount of communication skills what I meant. 

I didn't call one pass a handoff. I called it a pop pass, which is a glorified hand off. Why do you think I made mention of that? What do you think the point was in me explaining it that way? It's very clear what was being communicated. 

• Plus1 2