2020 Quarterback Competition

13 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

I have a feeling that if he truly is the gamer people like you and I think he is, he will show it this offseason to the point the team wont be able to deny he needs to be the starter.  I know its different when your playing 2 hand touch on the QB but he can still show it.

I think a post like the one above is completely reasonable. I think a post like the one below is completely ridiculous.

10 hours ago, ndobney said:

There really shouldn't be a need for a qb competition. 2am is not the guy time to move on.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

He’s a f#&%.. has several tweets about Nebraska and Nebraska football. Probably thinks if he’s nice enough he’ll get a bunch of husker fans to follow him

Yea i get the humor of it, but honestly it was more about just putting someone in who wasnt a disaster.

Our fans are too polite to chant "Pull A M, Pull A M, PULL A M", so they chant LUUUUUUUUUUKE instead....

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

Took my kids to a playground in Greeley, CO today and started a conversation with a guy in a Blackshirts hoodie. He works in the UNC AD, where Ed McCaffrey was just named HC. He said there is talk internally of Luke transfering to play for his dad if he doesn't win the job this fall at Nebraska.

That could just be wishful thinking from UNC guys.  Unless it was coming from his dad.  But if that does happen, would be a huge loss.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, runningblind said:

Took my kids to a playground in Greeley, CO today and started a conversation with a guy in a Blackshirts hoodie. He works in the UNC AD, where Ed McCaffrey was just named HC. He said there is talk internally of Luke transfering to play for his dad if he doesn't win the job this fall at Nebraska.

On paper I understand the logic but damn that would be a huge step back for Luke transferring to Northern Colorado.  I'd be more inclined to get it if his dad was at a FBS school.

The optimist in me says that if McCaffery is transferring that must mean Smothers is the truth.

30 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

On paper I understand the logic but damn that would be a huge step back for Luke transferring to Northern Colorado.  I'd be more inclined to get it if his dad was at a FBS school.

The optimist in me says that if McCaffery is transferring that must mean Smothers is the truth.

I'd like to hear @runningblind response, but this could be nothing.  Some guy who works in the department said their is talk of this.   Even if McCaffrey has never even thought about going to UNC, there would be some people there talking about how he might transfer.  Only cause one would naturally speculate that possibility, in the same way some people here in Nebraska have wondered the same.  It depends what this guy meant by "their is talk" of it.  Speculation talk? Or people have heard from one of the McCaffreys that this will happen if he doesnt get the job here?  Either way I hope he stays here, the kid is fast.  His speed looks just as fast against college competition as it did against high school.  He hits the holes very quick and is a great running QB, a different level of speed than Adrian.  Not sure about his passing yet, but Luke is gonna be good at some position by the time he finishes his college career, so i hope he is here.

1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

Things can always change, but I can see three motivations for a move like that:

1. Able to play QB guaranteed, which it sounds like Luke really wants.

2. Able to play for his Dad.

3. Not having to sit a year transferring versus transferring to another D1 school.

This guy mentioned that the staff had talked about it, take that for whatever it's worth.  This could simply be offseason/new coach talk but I'm simply relaying what I heard.

If Smothers is good,  and Martinez has 2 years left,  then the QB avenue very well could dry up for McCaffrey.  Injuries can always happen of course, but I don't imagine a scenario where Martinez doesn't start this year without an injury,  so this will be intriguing none the less.

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Things can always change, but I can see three motivations for a move like that:

1. Able to play QB guaranteed, which it sounds like Luke really wants.

2. Able to play for his Dad.

3. Not having to sit a year transferring versus transferring to another D1 school.

This guy mentioned that the staff had talked about it, take that for whatever it's worth.  This could simply be offseason/new coach talk but I'm simply relaying what I heard.

If Smothers is good,  and Martinez has 2 years left,  then the QB avenue very well could dry up for McCaffrey.  Injuries can always happen of course, but I don't imagine a scenario where Martinez doesn't start this year without an injury,  so this will be intriguing none the less.

I could see the reasoning behind it too, but hope he chooses to stay.  Or maybe he beats out Martinez anyway.  The scenario where he beats Martinez is if, 1) Martinez is still the same as he was all of last year.  And 2) Scott has the guts to start the best player.  In that case Martinez could transfer.  Worst case scenario and the only way we dont have decent QB play, is if Martinez is still like he was this year, but Frost still starts him, Luke transfers, and now we have to go with a struggling Martinez or Vedral.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigPeterJ said:

I could see the reasoning behind it too, but hope he chooses to stay.  Or maybe he beats out Martinez anyway.  The scenario where he beats Martinez is if, 1) Martinez is still the same as he was all of last year.  And 2) Scott has the guts to start the best player.  In that case Martinez could transfer.  Worst case scenario and the only way we dont have decent QB play, is if Martinez is still like he was this year, but Frost still starts him, Luke transfers, and now we have to go with a struggling Martinez or Vedral.

This is a ridiculous rumor.  You are either a pwr five athlete that wants to compete at that level or you aren’t.  I see no way this has any legs at all.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1