2020 Quarterback Competition

32 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

This is a ridiculous rumor.  You are either a pwr five athlete that wants to compete at that level or you aren’t.  I see no way this has any legs at all.

Agree. If his dad took over North Dakota State or a team that actually competed in FCS maybe I could see it. This is a team that hasn't been good and it's gonna take Ed sometime to turn it around. I don't see this making any sense unless he just really wanted to play for his dad. 

Furthermore, if this has any truth, he should probably leave now. I am as excited about Luke as as anyone, but this whole scenario stinks to high Heaven. Frost will no6 be held hostage by the notion he may lose him if he does not start. Game over.  I just had a hs kid transfer bc he may not be starting qb.  The kid would have also been our starting lb on defense.  As a coach, I didnt lose any sleep. 

35 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Agree. If his dad took over North Dakota State or a team that actually competed in FCS maybe I could see it. This is a team that hasn't been good and it's gonna take Ed sometime to turn it around. I don't see this making any sense unless he just really wanted to play for his dad. 

Unless he finds out he is never gonna start ahead of Martinez or Smothers.  If he wants to be a QB, he probably doesn't want to be a career backup.  But not only would Martinez have to beat him out, but also Smothers.  So if Luke leaves, i would take it that Smothers is the real deal

Luke comes from a family of winners.  The "quitting is easy" mantra doesn't seem like it'd be in his DNA.  I can't imagine him shrinking from the challenge.  Kid appears to a be a gamer.  I also don't think that Frost will ride or die with an injured AM or the 2.0 version we saw last year.  Frost, as calm and steady as he appears, has gotta be feeling this season needs to be, has to be better than the previous 2.  And it is shaping up to be a tough one with the schedule....

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

10 hours ago, runningblind said:

Took my kids to a playground in Greeley, CO today and started a conversation with a guy in a Blackshirts hoodie. He works in the UNC AD, where Ed McCaffrey was just named HC. He said there is talk internally of Luke transfering to play for his dad if he doesn't win the job this fall at Nebraska.

It would be way more surprising if the transferred *to* UNC than if he transferred *from* NU.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigPeterJ said:

Unless he finds out he is never gonna start ahead of Martinez or Smothers.  If he wants to be a QB, he probably doesn't want to be a career backup.  But not only would Martinez have to beat him out, but also Smothers.  So if Luke leaves, i would take it that Smothers is the real deal

How is he “finding out” in year 1.5 he is NEVER going to start ahead of AM and a kid that just stepped on campus 30 days ago.  I realize it’s the off-season but Jesus.  The idea he’s transfers came from where?  That his daddy now coaches at a college, any college.  What about Dylan, maybe they can both go back?  Does Christian have any eligibility left?  Is there a baby of the family?  I heard, from a guy, that knows a girl, that saw her ex-husbands babysitters, boyfriend at 31 flavors last night that all our coaches are going to start recruiting on Mars for the next 7 star player.  I know how cool.  That rumor has as much truth to it as this one about mccaffrey.

33 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

Also, interesting, is a good amount of this board wants to crown mccaffrey as the hiesman winner 2020 but also thinks he’s not good enough or won’t beat AM or Smothers.  

I am a lil worried of just that.  I think McCaffrey could be better than Martinez, and Frost still goes with Martinez.  Not saying Frost will do that, but it is a worry of mine.  Luke could be the next Eric Crouch or Tommie Frazier.  In fact I'd crown him with the Hesiman right now if i could.

11 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

I am a lil worried of just that.  I think McCaffrey could be better than Martinez, and Frost still goes with Martinez.  Not saying Frost will do that, but it is a worry of mine.  Luke could be the next Eric Crouch or Tommie Frazier.  In fact I'd crown him with the Hesiman right now if i could.

There’s nothing, to lead you to that concern.  If you  have a few  actual reasons I’d like to hear them.  Crowning a kid that has yet to attempt 20 passes is the reasons we have washouts and busts.  Let the kids develop, they all have work to do and let the winner come out on top.  The way that whole freshman class was talking last yr I have a hard time thinking their not here for the long haul and to win some games... I’m talking luke,wandale, and Nelson for sure.

5 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

How is he “finding out” in year 1.5 he is NEVER going to start ahead of AM and a kid that just stepped on campus 30 days ago.  I realize it’s the off-season but Jesus.  The idea he’s transfers came from where?  That his daddy now coaches at a college, any college.  What about Dylan, maybe they can both go back?  Does Christian have any eligibility left?  Is there a baby of the family?  I heard, from a guy, that knows a girl, that saw her ex-husbands babysitters, boyfriend at 31 flavors last night that all our coaches are going to start recruiting on Mars for the next 7 star player.  I know how cool.  That rumor has as much truth to it as this one about mccaffrey.

TBH..I'm a little surprised that the Colorado Buffs haven't offered Ed McCaffrey the HC position yet. 

5 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

There’s nothing, to lead you to that concern.  If you  have a few  actual reasons I’d like to hear them.  Crowning a kid that has yet to attempt 20 passes is the reasons we have washouts and busts.  Let the kids develop, they all have work to do and let the winner come out on top.  The way that whole freshman class was talking last yr I have a hard time thinking their not here for the long haul and to win some games... I’m talking luke,wandale, and Nelson for sure.

My reason for that concern is just the way last year played out.  Just felt Luke was a better QB and Frost has a bias toward AM.  I could be wrong, but thats how I feel.

• Fire 1