2020 Quarterback Competition

11 minutes ago, teachercd said:

He was not bad and he will be the starter this season.  

Agree that he will be the starter but he was horrible with his in game decisions. Any casual fan could tell something was off with him throwing the football, but my big criticism of 2am were his reads in both the passing game and running game. Some of his reads in the run game, on whether to give or take, exemplified the game was coming at him too fast last year as his struggles continued to snowball. 

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

I disagree.  Regardless of how bad the rest of the offense was, Adrian was as bad as anyone on the offense.  I find it ironic how some people will throw every single offensive player under the bus in order to defend Adrian's bad play.  The offense had many problems, not just AM, but I'm not gonna blame 10 other dudes for the decisions, lack of vision, and bad passing (even on simple screen passes) of our QB.

First I’m pretty sure I said he didn’t play well last yr.  I’ve also stated I’m in favor of a competition not just at qb but every position every yr.  I’m just saying in a legitimate competition it is still AM to lose and no that’s not because he’s “frosts guy”.  Pretty sure frost recruited vedral, mccaffrey, and smothers so they are all “frosts guys”.  Question though.  How difficult would it be to be qb in a system that has a limited rushing game, low trust in wrs to be where they are supposed to be, and an oline that provided some of the best look out blocks in the country last yr.  all while doing this with an injured shoulder that required off season surgery.  My point is we’ve seen good AM, outside of jd the wr group was meh, the rbs were new, and the oline had the usual suspects in Wilson, hixson, and farniok you could always see were out of position or we should have better at the position.  I think it says a lot that a player in the two deep at guard chose to transfer to the talent that is coming up.  

so I’ve said AM didn’t play well, but that isn’t in a bubble.  AM had an excellent frosh season, hence the heisman talk.  The others around him were unproven or had proven they were lacking.  Therefore, AM has a bit more rope than say hixson, Wilson, or say mike Williams.  The bigger issue is we had more of the hixsons and the Williams on the field last yr with AM than the Sunday stans and oz’s of the previous yr.

• Plus1 2
44 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Agree that he will be the starter but he was horrible with his in game decisions. Any casual fan could tell something was off with him throwing the football, but my big criticism of 2am were his reads in both the passing game and running game. Some of his reads in the run game, on whether to give or take, exemplified the game was coming at him too fast last year as his struggles continued to snowball. 

Except we don't know which run plays he had a read and which were called gives/keepers. I think one of the reporters was pressing Austin or another coach to try and get an answer on how many are reads versus called, and they declined to answer. We run a lot of things that look like read options but are not.

I suspect a healthy Martinez is the best QB on our roster by a pretty wide margin. And I expect a big year as long as he's healthy - the better supporting cast will go a long way.

• Fire 1
7 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Except we don't know which run plays he had a read and which were called gives/keepers. I think one of the reporters was pressing Austin or another coach to try and get an answer on how many are reads versus called, and they declined to answer. We run a lot of things that look like read options but are not.

I suspect a healthy Martinez is the best QB on our roster by a pretty wide margin. And I expect a big year as long as he's healthy - the better supporting cast will go a long way.

That's a fair point but often if its a called give there won't be a read/unblocked defender. If there is an unblocked defender at the LOS its an indication of a read type play. 

• Plus1 1

11 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

The offense consists of 11 people.  He lost over half of the receiving threat and over 60-70% of the rushing threat plus three oline.  That’s not, yeah whatever type loss.  So why better.  He should be healthier, with an established rb who came on last half of the season, better depth at Rb too.  The wrs should see a huge jump in athleticism and depth should be much better.  Biggest piece is the oline should be much better allowing for players to move into more natural positions.  I believe farniok moves into guard, and Hixson and Wilson get pushed hard by several others for the last guard spot.  Oline should be substantially better allowing AM more time to read, better throwing lanes, and wrs where they should be and not needing to focus in on 1-2 guys.  

On top of all this, we replaced the OC.  I'm excited to see how that changes the offense to more of what Frost is looking for.

• Fire 1
13 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Holy cow, if AM was "bad" last year than people need to watch more football. He was definitely average, he definitely didn't live up to the talent we saw as a freshmen and he certainly had some bad plays/decisions. However, I don't think he was all around "bad" at all.

This is so true.  It wasn't that he was bad or terrible or what ever.  He needed to take a step forward and be better than he was the year before and he didn't do that.  He took 1 step back basically and was fairly average.    There were probably a lot of reason's for this, all of which have been discussed.  Injuries to him, missing WR and RB from year before and replacing 2 key offensive linemen. 

This team needed a good to great AM to have a really good season and they didn't get it.  

• Fire 2
14 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Holy cow, if AM was "bad" last year than people need to watch more football. He was definitely average, he definitely didn't live up to the talent we saw as a freshmen and he certainly had some bad plays/decisions. However, I don't think he was all around "bad" at all.

10 TDs to 9 INTs is bad.  There's no getting around it.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

But there is a way around it.  If you understand all the dynamics from the season, those stats are likely much better than what many QBs would have produced.  Those unwilling to truly understand all elements from the season will almost always blame the QB when results aren't good.  Reality is they can only control so much of what happening.  

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, Landlord said:

There's an easy way getting around it. We never called pass plays in the red zone. Like hardly ever. 

Is being in the top 3 of the conference all season in total yards per game bad?

Red zone offense was a challenge for Frost as a play caller.  There wasn't a receiver who could create separation or make plays with size and athleticism.  There is less space in the red zone, so it required Martinez to make quick decisions and accurate passes,  which he struggled in 2019.  Frost also didn't trust the o-line for most of the year to just plow ahead with run plays.  Frost tried to get creative (which some people would call cute) and it didn't always work.  I think the biggest thing the red zone struggles showed was that there is a need for talent upgrade across the skill positions, and continued development of the o-line.

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, The Dude said:

If farniok and Wilson make two of the easier blocks I’ve seen against Purdue and Wisconsin that’s 12 td to 9 int.  My point is not many ppl are saying AM had a good yr, the point is that his struggles were shared by failures across ALL players on offense.  I’ve seen good AM, I have yet to see GOOD Wilson or farniok.  

• Plus1 1