2020 Quarterback Competition

45 minutes ago, PoloWearingBeaver said:

Speaking of the quarterbacks, Frost won't accept help from a HOF QB.

Ah yes, let's bring in Kurt Warner and also Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Steve Young, John Elway and Dan Marino. Might as well have these guys hear from as many different sources as possible so they are all confused on what is the best.

What team in the country brings in former players who have no affiliation except a son on the team and no understanding of what the scheme asks of players for "help"? Warner doesn't know what Frost wants of his QBs so there isn't a lot of help he could provide outside of being a motivational speaker.

This just looks dumb.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

15 minutes ago, nupowr said:

It's crappy on Warner if the staff is 9-3 but not if they are 5-7.  After 2 yr. you've got to prove that you deserve the right to be left alone.

I disagree, its crappy anytime. When you're 9-3 people are more likely to brush it off and say look at this idiot. But when you're 5-7 and trying to turn the program around, things like this can gain traction when they shouldn't and cause a divide. Now we all know it probably won't, but it's pretty classless to trash your kids coaches unless they are somehow putting your kid in harms way, or have actually wronged him in someway other than he isn't getting enough PT or they aren't throwing him the ball enough. Kurt Warner is a HOF QB and it comes across fairly immature to speak down about the staff publicly

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Many of his critics are not impressed with his raw stats last year and they are not good by any reasonable comparative look but the biggest issue for me is more the lack of “it” factor plays.   I understand that his supporting cast was not good.  This hurts him too.  One can look past those things but its hard to point to very many special plays he made something out of nothing for example.  His highlight video would be pretty short so far with “difference maker” kinds of plays. In my opinion Frost’s offense by design requires a very special player as QB - its QB centric essentially and being a basic manager is not enough.  He needs to have and actually use exceptional run skills as well as read and throw with rare accuracy. Being average is not good enough to help the team overcome problems.   Maybe none of our QBs have this “it factor” but until we see it in AM there will be plenty of interest in trying other guys to see what happens.  We are not winning for many reasons and less than stellar QB play is one major one.  

Skip the whole 2018 season did we????

To say Warner has no understanding of what our QBs may or may not be doing well cant be correct.  There are large parts of basic QB fundamentals and play in our system that any pro QB would understand. Warner is one of the better ones ever.  He knows plenty about QB play WR play and offense generally.  

It may be fine that he stay out of the public discussion and he comment Trust me Ive tried says a lot but maybe somebody ought to consider listening.  His son is a walkon at NU for a reason - so he sees something worthy of his $ and his son’s time and effort.  

Maybe Walters is gone for a good reason?   

Our passing game has been lackluster at best.   

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, Husker from Kansas said:

I disagree, its crappy anytime. When you're 9-3 people are more likely to brush it off and say look at this idiot. But when you're 5-7 and trying to turn the program around, things like this can gain traction when they shouldn't and cause a divide. Now we all know it probably won't, but it's pretty classless to trash your kids coaches unless they are somehow putting your kid in harms way, or have actually wronged him in someway other than he isn't getting enough PT or they aren't throwing him the ball enough. Kurt Warner is a HOF QB and it comes across fairly immature to speak down about the staff publicly

I guess i didn’t know Warner wanted to get into coaching.  Did he apply with frost or want the qb coach job.  If not, then he should stfu or get his kid out of here.

3 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

Exactly, and for example Martinez's TD to Spielman in the Maryland game was almost picked by two players before falling into Spielman's arms. The 'what if' game would result in a 9 TD to 10 INT ratio. 

Yeah and some  of his throws would have been touchdowns but the receiver was covered or dropped it. If they played better then I bet it would even be like 16 TD to 10 INT!!

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Husker from Kansas said:

You make a good point but where I am at is I would tell Verduzco to walk today if Kurt Warner came to my door with Mike Martz on his cell and asked for the gig.

• Haha 1

Just now, nupowr said:

You make a good point but where I am at is I would tell Verduzco to walk today if Kurt Warner came to my door with Mike Martz on his cell and asked for the gig.

Ah yes, let's make Warner responsible for teaching the point guard of an offense that he doesn't know. I get that he has an incredible amount of QB knowledge, but that seems like a bad idea. The jury is still out on Verduzco, but one bad QB year with a lot of mitigating circumstances doesn't completely invalidate his career to this point. And great QBs aren't necessarily great coaches, and at the very least not every great QB is a good fit for every type of offense.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
24 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Damn he coached 1 good QB that did well in a completely different system. Fire Frost and Verduzco and hire Warner quick!! 

Just pointing out that he was coaching (or at least was, can't tell if he still is), since that was the question I quoted. But, yes, let's go full sarcasm. 

20 minutes ago, PoloWearingBeaver said:

They allow the Manning camp but no outside private coaches. He could bring Warner in as a consultant/analyst to help out.

College QBs go to the Manning camp as instructors which is why they allow it - they might get some pointers, but they're really there to help teach and network, not to be privately coached. And they definitely could bring him in, but I doubt Warner wants an official consultant role and I doubt the staff wants to spend time hashing out which things Warner would teach that work with Verduzco.

• Plus1 3