2020 Quarterback Competition

49 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Frost has talked about fixing the culture issues since day 1 almost.  Hopefully he is not just now learning about fixing (flopping was your word?) the culture after this

long.   

I think one of the biggest challenges in coaching today is got to be finding ways to motivate the players to try harder and work

harder.  I think this can explain the mass exodus of guys - Riley and Frost recruits alike - as about half the recruits quit for lack of heart & desire and drive.  For some football is too much just a hobby or recreational deal and not taken seriously.  This is my opinion as an outsider looking in anyway.  We need the revolving door so we can bring em in, try em and release em until we finally get a full complement of 3 deep Big Ten contender level guys.  

Call it “catch & release” recruiting like Frost fishing.  Fish long enough and you get your limit of keepers.  

Good comparison with Frost and Riley regarding attrition of recruits.  Regardless if it was guys who never panned out, quit, transferred etc, the "revolving door" analogy is a good one.  When Clemson played for their 1st NC against Bama I knew Clemson would lose as they lacked the depth of Bama.  1 v 1, even in that first meeting, Clemson could go toe to toe with Bama.   But when they had to sub (fatigue, injury etc) that parity went away until Clemson was able to get the deep roster.....I really thought we would be "better" quicker than we are, but as you said, you try and flip the culture on a roster with 87 guys and bring in 75 kids in 3 years and about 30 (guestimate) pan out, it is going to take a long time to get roughly 45-50 guys (2 deep) that are capable of stepping in with little to no drop off.  We are closer at some positions, but what feels like no where close to others......Gotta have patience.....

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lo country said:

Good comparison with Frost and Riley regarding attrition of recruits.  Regardless if it was guys who never panned out, quit, transferred etc, the "revolving door" analogy is a good one.  When Clemson played for their 1st NC against Bama I knew Clemson would lose as they lacked the depth of Bama.  1 v 1, even in that first meeting, Clemson could go toe to toe with Bama.   But when they had to sub (fatigue, injury etc) that parity went away until Clemson was able to get the deep roster.....I really thought we would be "better" quicker than we are, but as you said, you try and flip the culture on a roster with 87 guys and bring in 75 kids in 3 years and about 30 (guestimate) pan out, it is going to take a long time to get roughly 45-50 guys (2 deep) that are capable of stepping in with little to no drop off.  We are closer at some positions, but what feels like no where close to others......Gotta have patience.....

One downside to catch & release revolving door is I am not sure that it is very conducive to building a close knot “family” or brotherhood culture.   
Having been a foster parent / household with over 80 foster kids coming thru over a 15 year period, our front door was a revolving door at times as many kids were placed back into bio homes or with other family etc.  Our home was much like the temporary home these football players are finding.  There is a strong tendency for young people to avoid attachment to friends and foster families because they are fearful of the pain of becoming detached.  This is a big challenge to welcome someone in as a “member of the family” but then turn them away or remain detached.  

11 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

This is an absolute no-win situation for Adrian. If he does win the competition, a small but loud portion of the fanbase (and this board) will scream that it was rigged, that Frost is just playing "his boy", and will wait with bated breath until something happens to him so that McCaffery will get to play. If he doesn't win the competition, then he loses his job. 

Not really.   If he wins the job, plays up to the standards of a Top 15 starting QB, then I’m guessing all Nebraska will love him.  

Mid he wins the job and doesn’t play well like last year, then people will probably call for the next man up.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
11 hours ago, lo country said:

Really?  Argue about the injuries?  Where did I mention that?  If we are doing that, AM played ALL YEAR INJURED......The style of O we ran with AM had him nursing injuries for 12 plus weeks....See how that works....

Noahs 2 games 34 for 52 with 65% completion percentage 8 yrds/attempt....Not too bad......

Luke 9-12 75% 11.8/attempt...Again not too bad.  

So statistically speaking (albeit a small sample) whatever O we ran with Noah and Luke looked pretty good.....And the O we ran with AM? He ended up injured both seasons......Not really sustainable over the course of a season Huh?.....And the loss posted by the back ups was eclipsed by AM's winning record.  News flash, he has a losing record as well...........And which QB did I say had "it"?  Huh?......

Verduzco is/was also very high on Luke giving him a lot of accolades.......Frost thinks he is ok also...

https://www.theindependent.com/sports/college/huskers_hq/luke-mccaffrey-does-it-all-for-huskers/article_069e29cc-1091-11ea-88e9-bf8eb4ab01d4.html

Noah has a great grasp of the system. He looked crisp in his play and ran a great up tempo O when he was in....

So what was your point again?

Slow your roll.  I’m not talking down any of our qbs, I am high on Luke as well.  My point is that the style we ran with Luke and mccaffrey led to them unable to play for 2-3 weeks. AM was banged up yes, but they were straight unable to play.  You can’t run them 12-15 times a game and expect them to hold up.  As for vedral....how many points did we score in his 1 start at MN?   But he looked crisp right and on paper his stats look pretty good.  The whole point of this is AM is still the front runner for the job, he still should be based on nobody doing anything else to unseat him, yet.  I have called for an open qb competition and let the chips fall where they may, I just won’t be surprised if AM wins that for very legitimate reasons.  Why, I’m looking at facts over feelings.  I’m not putting all the blame for the offensive struggles on AM, though he did share in them.  

I’ve said I’m high on all these guys multiple times throughout this thread and others.  I’ve specifically called for a qb competition.  I’m just not on the Luke is god and vedral should be starting and AM is garbage, but this is also a fluid deal, if Luke is better play him, same with vedral, or smothers.  Nobody should be there yet, facts don’t support that, but feelings and that “it” thing maybe do.  

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

Slow your roll.  I’m not talking down any of our qbs, I am high on Luke as well.  My point is that the style we ran with Luke and mccaffrey led to them unable to play for 2-3 weeks. AM was banged up yes, but they were straight unable to play.  You can’t run them 12-15 times a game and expect them to hold up.  As for vedral....how many points did we score in his 1 start at MN?   But he looked crisp right and on paper his stats look pretty good.  The whole point of this is AM is still the front runner for the job, he still should be based on nobody doing anything else to unseat him, yet.  I have called for an open qb competition and let the chips fall where they may, I just won’t be surprised if AM wins that for very legitimate reasons.  Why, I’m looking at facts over feelings.  I’m not putting all the blame for the offensive struggles on AM, though he did share in them.  

I’ve said I’m high on all these guys multiple times throughout this thread and others.  I’ve specifically called for a qb competition.  I’m just not on the Luke is god and vedral should be starting and AM is garbage, but this is also a fluid deal, if Luke is better play him, same with vedral, or smothers.  Nobody should be there yet, facts don’t support that, but feelings and that “it” thing maybe do.  

Fair enough.  I am not sold on any one starter (any position) either.  Let the guy with the best chance to get us wins play.  It might not be the "best" player.  I don't think AM is garbage.  A perfect storm of crap (to include AM's regression) made hom look worse than he was (I hope that was the case).  I do think Luke and Noah didn't look bad at all.  Smother's adds another "potential great" in the mix.  I just want to win and the culture, buy-in crap, Frosts guy etc stuff to go away...

I am just hoping that Frost truly opens up competition across the board. We need to go bowling this year.  His vision and hype can only recruit so much.  Gotta start balancing the wins column.....

• Fire 1
18 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

This is an absolute no-win situation for Adrian. If he does win the competition, a small but loud portion of the fanbase (and this board) will scream that it was rigged, that Frost is just playing "his boy", and will wait with bated breath until something happens to him so that McCaffery will get to play. If he doesn't win the competition, then he loses his job. 

For the life of me I can’t figure out the rational of those people.  Aren’t all these qbs “his guys”. Couldn’t agree with you more.  

• Haha 1
  • Fire 2
3 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

For the life of me I can’t figure out the rational of those people.  Aren’t all these qbs “his guys”. Couldn’t agree with you more.  

Actually heard frost didnt want to recruit any qbs the past 2 years and was going to start in 2022  - but he then read on the board that we should take one a year

• Haha 1
On 3/5/2020 at 8:26 PM, Cdog923 said:

57 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I don't disagree with your thoughts for Luke at QB.  However, what I've surrendered my mind to is that AM is Frost's QB.  He seems to be "all in" and will burn down the whole program before considering someone other than AM.  I'm having some fun in my comment but truly, Frost has convinced me that NO ONE will take his place.

giphy.gif

On 3/5/2020 at 8:26 PM, Cdog923 said:

Man, I just don't see that at all.  I hope AM not only wins the spot ... but is a real stud and takes us to a 9-3 or 8-4 record.  In that, I would hope that Luke is used in his packages and played at WR some ... to the point that Luke also contributed to the improvement at play and a better record.  I just want good roster management.  What I fear is that AM gets his QB gig if he continues with the same issues as last season.  If this does happen, I'm still good with it if he is our best guy, but, what I want to here is, "Well, AM is not playing with confidence, seems to make bad decisions in his processions ... but it is what it is because he is the best and only option we have."  In other words, don't bloviate anything to us.  At this point, as a Junior, AM doesn't deserve a gracious leash to continue playing like a Freshman [if we are Nebraska].

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

What I read into that is that with AM I jury and limited availability to play full contact, along with Luke's performance at the QB position, that Frost is still seeing Luke as an option should AM faulter due to health or lack of performance.

I like hearing this.  Also like that he remains open to moving Luke should that be seen as a need/possibility.

6 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

What I read into that is that with AM I jury and limited availability to play full contact, along with Luke's performance at the QB position, that Frost is still seeing Luke as an option should AM faulter due to health or lack of performance.

I like hearing this.  Also like that he remains open to moving Luke should that be seen as a need/possibility.

Some might interpret Frost as saying AM IS our QB and LM and LS and NV are back up QBs unless AM cant even play hurt (like the last 2 seasons).  Those words could easily be quite discouraging to all three backups imo.   

That said I will reserve my judgment on the QB competition until we see how practice and spring game play goes.  I hope all the players feel they have a shot to play - otherwise keeping morale up is very difficult or impossible.