2020 Quarterback Competition

19 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

"Well, AM is not playing with confidence, seems to make bad decisions in his processions ... but it is what it is because he is the best and only option we have."  In other words, don't bloviate anything to us.  At this point, as a Junior, AM doesn't deserve a gracious leash to continue playing like a Freshman [if we are Nebraska].

yeah....That sends a great message to the team.  Our starting QB is sucking, but the rest of the room sucks even more so I'm going to keep sending him out there even though I don't have confidence that he can do what we need.

• Fire 1

15 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

What I read into that is that with AM I jury and limited availability to play full contact, along with Luke's performance at the QB position, that Frost is still seeing Luke as an option should AM faulter due to health or lack of performance.

I like hearing this.  Also like that he remains open to moving Luke should that be seen as a need/possibility.

What I read into it is they promised Luke he would be a QB. And that Luke is a good enough kid that he'll want to help the team in any way he can, but a big reason he came here is we told him if he wanted to be a QB, he would be a QB. I don't believe anyone else recruiting him was solid on that point.

5 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Some might interpret Frost as saying AM IS our QB and LM and LS and NV are back up QBs unless AM cant even play hurt (like the last 2 seasons).  Those words could easily be quite discouraging to all three backups imo.   

That said I will reserve my judgment on the QB competition until we see how practice and spring game play goes.  I hope all the players feel they have a shot to play - otherwise keeping morale up is very difficult or impossible.   

Good stuff.  Ya, I agree.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

yeah....That sends a great message to the team.  Our starting QB is sucking, but the rest of the room sucks even more so I'm going to keep sending him out there even though I don't have confidence that he can do what we need.

And to that I say, AM has not been very good.  Frost has had his back.  If the guy continues to play like a Freshman, at least be honest with the player, the media and the fan base.  If he doesn't, he will lose a player like Luke to the portal, probably Vedral as well.

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

And to that I say, AM has not been very good.  Frost has had his back.  If the guy continues to play like a Freshman, at least be honest with the player, the media and the fan base.  If he doesn't, he will lose a player like Luke to the portal, probably Vedral as well.

I think it's impossible for us as fans to completely accurately assess any one position's performance, given how most of them had serious issues last year. Martinez did not play as well as we hoped, but claiming the only reason he's the starter over is Frost's stubbornness is ridiculous. Obviously no one would come out and say it directly, but I think we'd be hearing rumors if players felt McCaffrey or Vedral had earned more PT than they got last year. So it's quite possible that Martinez is our best QB, and was not as bad individually as people claim.

• Thanks 3
  • Fire 1

On 3/6/2020 at 6:26 AM, The Dude said:

What's changed since the Iowa game that makes you think this?

I don't have a dog in this fight and I'm not even all that interested in trying to figure out whether Frost has penciled Adrian in as starter or not, but I will just say that Scott fired two of his guys after two years.

So, I think that's a solid data point that suggests he's getting closer at least to that "do whatever it takes" frame of mind given how bad both seasons were.

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I think it's impossible for us as fans to completely accurately assess any one position's performance, given how most of them had serious issues last year. Martinez did not play as well as we hoped, but claiming the only reason he's the starter over is Frost's stubbornness is ridiculous. Obviously no one would come out and say it directly, but I think we'd be hearing rumors if players felt McCaffrey or Vedral had earned more PT than they got last year. So it's quite possible that Martinez is our best QB, and was not as bad individually as people claim.

Read and understand what you have said.  If you believe that I'm "claiming the only reason he's the starter over is Frost's stubbornness is ridiculous", well, that might be some people ... but it's not me.  I do believe Scott is "stubborn", has a bit of wrong pride in his football knowledge in this stage of his career and has made mistakes that he does not seem to really own up to.  Do note ... I work with addicts in recovery ... so, what I transfer into how I look at is ... I don't care what your words are ... show me by your actions.

Good to interact with you.

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Read and understand what you have said.  If you believe that I'm "claiming the only reason he's the starter over is Frost's stubbornness is ridiculous", well, that might be some people ... but it's not me.  I do believe Scott is "stubborn", has a bit of wrong pride in his football knowledge in this stage of his career and has made mistakes that he does not seem to really own up to.  Do note ... I work with addicts in recovery ... so, what I transfer into how I look at is ... I don't care what your words are ... show me by your actions.

Good to interact with you.

That's fair, I was replying to you but that's directed more at things like below. And I get your last point - there's been a lot of talk and not a lot of backing it up for a long time. Martinez has not proven he's a great starter, sure. But we just don't even know if the gap between Martinez and Vedral/McCaffrey is small enough to justify letting someone else try and prove they are. I still trust that Frost wants to win enough that he would/will give them their opportunities if there's a chance they will perform better.

10 minutes ago, That.1.Dude said:

Well that's a hint and a half for your a$$ on who should be taking over the d*mn QB position. I've never been mad at either Noah's or McCaffrey's performances in game (and you all know that says a daaaaaa*n lot!) versus almost always being upset at Martinez in basically every game he plays now a days. 

We need change at the QB position.

Just now, Husker in WI said:

That's fair, I was replying to you but that's directed more at things like below. And I get your last point - there's been a lot of talk and not a lot of backing it up for a long time. Martinez has not proven he's a great starter, sure. But we just don't even know if the gap between Martinez and Vedral/McCaffrey is small enough to justify letting someone else try and prove they are. I still trust that Frost wants to win enough that he would/will give them their opportunities if there's a chance they will perform better.

Guys like That.1.Dude are here for a few posts and then gone.  I'm grateful for that.  My guess is he won't even make it through this day.  

Grateful for the majority of Husker fans ... but more so for guys like Frost who I believe have the best intentions for the :bigredn:.  As much as I'm frustrated even with the last three years under Frost, I'm still willing and able to "keep hope alive" that it will turn around.  I'm choosing to even look at Scott's first class as a good effort in a tough spot ... so with that, I'm choosing to see the last two classes as his.  It will get ugly this year.  I will stick with Scott longer than most here ... but in that, for my own sanity, I cannot drink the Red stuff ... it's better for me to be honest and deal with it.  It worked in my own personal life and I choose to be a fan in the same way [regardless with how it looks to others and if they come down on me].

Hey, GO BIG RED!

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

How many games have Vedral or McCaffrey won as starters? 

I knew someone would say that sh*t. But your question doesn't tell the whole gotd*mn story. Matter fact, how many games did Martinez win last season that Vedral or McCaffrey wouldn't have been able to win? How how many did Vedral and McCaffrey lose that Martinez would have been able to win? 

If Martinez would have played in those games the other 2 lost, then those games would have been even worse blowouts up the as* than they already were. And we daaaaaaaaaa*n sure at the very least would have beaten Purdue had Vedral or McCaffrey would have started those games and that's just one example I'm using while I'm sure there's many others as well.

• Haha 1