2020 Quarterback Competition

2 hours ago, dspanther05 said:

I'm confident he can mesh that with understanding the playbook which seems to consistent of negative yardage swing pass and/or screens.  As long as #2 is breathing and not officially injured, there is no QB competition.  Like it or not, that is the reality. 

Again based on what.  Your feeling?  Frost has said everything to the contrary and keep in mind these are all “frosts guys” before you pull that garbage.  

• Plus1 1

If 2AM isn't injured he is 100% the starter. No questions asked. Now, if he starts playing like buns I know Frost will roll in Luke this time around. He will then give AM the reigns for the next game and if it happens again Luke will be the starter. 

BUT overall I think we see 2AM for 90% of the snaps this season at QB barring inury. 

• Plus1 2
39 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

Again based on what.  Your feeling?  Frost has said everything to the contrary and keep in mind these are all “frosts guys” before you pull that garbage.  

Based on my eyeballs watching what transpired last year.  I will bet you any sum of money that unless AM is injured he is the starting quarterback in 2020.  And if he struggles but is healthy, AM will still be the quarterback in 2020.  I'm all for AM having a rebound season and proving me wrong.

3 hours ago, dspanther05 said:

Based on my eyeballs watching what transpired last year.  I will bet you any sum of money that unless AM is injured he is the starting quarterback in 2020.  And if he struggles but is healthy, AM will still be the quarterback in 2020.  I'm all for AM having a rebound season and proving me wrong.

Your eyeballs are better than the coaches on the field, or the players?  LAmar Jackson was asked about this and said AM by a mile.  Now that’s one players opinion.  What transpired last yr that made you think vedral or mccafrrey were more capable of running the whole offense than AM.  Before you start speaking about your eyes, gut feel, quicker decision/run let me say this.

i like the upside of all our qbs rostered. However, vedral started 2 games leading the offense to zero tds at mn, and what 1 against Indiana.  The style he was required to play earned him two weeks resting injuries.

Mccaffrey played in 4 games, most extensively in Indiana.  Looked good, but you guessed it the style of play his knowledge of the playbook required him to play earned him 1-2 weeks resting injuries.  
frost has stated just yesterday, while all the keyboard warriors on here are moving mccaffrey to wr, that he wants him focused on winning the qb position.  If AM wins the starting job many of you have  already made up their minds it’s because it “frosts guy” or he won’t pick mccaffrey no matter what.  I’m saying AM Has a huge leg up over both vedral and mccaffrey and if he wins the qb job it won’t likely be for some nefarious reason.  Frost wants to win worse than you or I.  
i do agree AM didn’t have the best yr and the leash will certainly be shorter than in previous yrs.  this is otherwise referred to as depth, something frost thought was a good idea after going 20 yrs without any.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, 1.Time said:

The fact that 2AM is injured literally could mean he won't be starting since he's already not even likely getting the majority of starting snaps in practice due to physical limitations. And this is not Luke's first year in the system. That kid is actually experienced in it at this point and everyone already noted last year how he took a quick learning to it as soon as he got on campus to where it literally shocked everyone how fast he was catching on. Not to mention Luke is already "mentally" much smarter than the other QB's which was evidenced by Verduzco saying Luke scored exceptionally high on his idk... QB exam or whatever to where coach V just simply had to inform us about it. When you have a person who "starts high" like at where Luke's at, that person is veeerrrry likely to surpass the "inadequates" ahead of him do to such preciosity. Tua passed Jalen. Lawrence passed Bryant. And so on. 

I can't think of too many reasons not to start Luke over 2AM's slow blinking, not knowing when to run, can't throw an accurate ball, 2-4 interceptions a game, losing to a 2 win Purdue, always injured a*s. What experience? Well as mentioned in my last line 2AM has mostly "bad experience" over Luke. Sure. But I haven't heard of a crowd (our own) in a while literally *cheer* for a QB like how they do for Luke when they shout his name do to such appreciation of him on the field. When's the last time you heard a crowd do that for a QB they were so proud of? 

It's doing Adrian a reeeaaal disservice to be injured while an intelligent calculated athletic young-gun like Luke is getting exceptionally better and smarter each day. That could easily wind up to Luke passing him. Luke could pass him in this off-season alone let alone during the actual real games when Frost has to switch to Luke for whatever reason and sees for himself that Luke's a better d*mn QB than that gotd*mn complacent screw up Martinez. 

It doesn't matter to me who wins the QB competition as long as that QB can: 1.  Deliver the ball accurately and consistently.  2. Check down to his 2nd and 3rd options.  3. Run the ball when it's there.  4. Put his shoulder down and run someone over while securing the ball.  5.  Doesn't run out of bounds 6 yards deep, instead of just throwing the ball away.

21 minutes ago, Skeeball said:

It doesn't matter to me who wins the QB competition as long as that QB can: 1.  Deliver the ball accurately and consistently.  2. Check down to his 2nd and 3rd options.  3. Run the ball when it's there.  4. Put his shoulder down and run someone over while securing the ball.  5.  Doesn't run out of bounds 6 yards deep, instead of just throwing the ball away.

Ehh, I don't think it's worth it. I'd rather have a QB who knows how to get the most out of a run before getting down or out before taking a big shot. NFL MVP Lamar Jackson  is a pro at this and I think it's pretty important with the type of O we run

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

"We had a quarterback dinner (recently), and he sat next to me and I think he said three words the whole time," Verduzco said. "I had to tell him to shut up and not talk so much. He’s a quiet guy, but you know, Logan’s getting used to everybody around him and that sort of thing."

I’m starting to wonder if AM will be named the starter as long as the competition is even somewhat close for 1 reason.  AM is still a 3 for 2 guy and the coaches could believe that AM would just enter the transfer portal if not the starter instead of being back up while trying to win the job back.  

I dont think AM has to be the best, just close enough to justify starting him at the beginning and letting his game play dictate the next course of action.  

Just a random thought.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

I’m starting to wonder if AM will be named the starter as long as the competition is even somewhat close for 1 reason.  AM is still a 3 for 2 guy and the coaches could believe that AM would just enter the transfer portal if not the starter instead of being back up while trying to win the job back.  

I dont think AM has to be the best, just close enough to justify starting him at the beginning and letting his game play dictate the next course of action.  

Just a random thought.  

What, and they wouldn't be worried about McCaffrey or Smothers transferring in that scenario? Why wouldn't a kid transfer if they outplayed the other competitors and didn't get the job? The QBs would know it was close, and they use a lot of fairly objective grades. So I'm pretty sure they'd know if the "best man" didn't win, and any of the QBs could transfer if they felt that was the case.

I expect Martinez to win the job in a legitimate battle, and many fans to immediately question the validity of the competition just based on him winning.

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

Just now, Husker in WI said:

What, and they wouldn't be worried about McCaffrey or Smothers transferring in that scenario? Why wouldn't a kid transfer if they outplayed the other competitors and didn't get the job? The QBs would know it was close, and they use a lot of fairly objective grades. So I'm pretty sure they'd know if the "best man" didn't win, and any of the QBs could transfer if they felt that was the case.

I expect Martinez to win the job in a legitimate battle, and many fans to immediately question the validity of the competition just based on him winning.

This

• Plus1 3
51 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Smothers could redshirt, sit one and still have three to play.  Luke could believe AM won’t last a season W/O injury and he will get his chance.  It was just thinking out loud with no prediction. 

• Plus1 1