2020 Quarterback Competition

9 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Vedral came here for the chance to work more with Frost/Verduzco.  He was never going to be QB1 unless there were major injuries.  He got to see the field some and learned a lot.  He is a really smart guy and knows he isn't going to see the field unless AM and LM go down to injury.  He can also see that he would likely be 4th on the depth chart next year.  It's the perfect time for him to transfer.  Add to that the closures from the virus so wherever he goes he won't be behind for the current season.  I thought most expected this move.  I'm hoping he goes to Wyoming.  The Cowboys currently have a RS/SO and a true Freshman on the depth chart and their projected starter only had 95 passes last year with a 51.6% completion and 1TD to 4 INT.  I think Vedral would be a massive upgrade for them and he would get to stay fairly close to home.  Wish him the best of luck!

Woo, yes!

5 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I don't think we have a single receiver better than JD last year if he leaves, but give me Wan'Dale and Manning/Betts/Alante Brown/Warner/Fleming/Nixon over freshman Wan'Dale and Noa/Woodyard/Williams any day. RBs are the same (with some freshman reinforcements), TEs the same and adding Vokolek.

I think you oversell JD a bit. I've said 100 times, I truly love the kid.. He isn't a game changing #1 or even #2 receiver. I hope he's back, he is literally one of my favorite players of all time. But I mostly hope he's back so he can have some success with a decent team, not because I think we are sunk w/o him. 

Idk if anyone has said this or not, but there is no way Adrians attitude this year won’t be different than it was last year. He’ll come back more focused and driven, and probably the healthiest he’s been since he got here since his body will have had a ton of time to rest and recover. Last year he was considered a big deal and was in the talking of a heisman trophy caliber season. That’s a ton of expectation on a true sophomore. And then when the team around him was so shaky, especially his offensive line, he was bound to struggle. He’s been through a lot more now and should have the mental maturity to come in focused and ready to lead. It’s easy to forget that as a freshman nobody looked to him to be the true team leader as Farmer and other guys like that were there and we’re excited about what the future has in store. We missed that last year, hell we didn’t have any real leadership or team chemistry. I expect that to be different this year

• Plus1 2
  • 3 weeks later...

AM was pretty good against it but many of those are the middle of the field plays where our receivers took the biggest hits.  JD was pretty good at finding the holes in the zones but man did he pay the price for it sometimes.  Hopefully we find balance with the added talent at receiver this year.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

AM was pretty good against it but many of those are the middle of the field plays where our receivers took the biggest hits.  JD was pretty good at finding the holes in the zones but man did he pay the price for it sometimes.  Hopefully we find balance with the added talent at receiver this year.

I think we will, bri going in two receivers tgat can take the top off of the defense forces those safeties to actually cover they’re deep haves which in turn opens up the middle. If linebackers vacate due to a blitz or a run read then the quick slant or sit down could be there. If not then the skinny post right behind them could be there. 

3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

The cover 2 requires throws deep down the middle, and sometimes they need to be thrown a little higher to get over the MLB dropping into coverage.  Yes, the throws against Illinois were high, but they were put where his receiver could go up and get it.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The cover 2 requires throws deep down the middle, and sometimes they need to be thrown a little higher to get over the MLB dropping into coverage.  Yes, the throws against Illinois were high, but they were put where his receiver could go up and get it.

I agree, not being critical of AM.  The safeties, as mentioned previously, just didn't have to respect the deep ball so they punished JD for those catches.

• Plus1 1

The loss of JD definitely hurts but having Wandale back at duck-r and Warner healthy to provide reliable possession work should help. If Manning and Betts are as good as the hype we should have a nice group with increased production. Hopefully a couple guys establish themselves as deep threats, when defenses don't have to respect the long ball it makes everything harder. 

17 minutes ago, Danimal said:

The loss of JD definitely hurts but having Wandale back at duck-r and Warner healthy to provide reliable possession work should help. If Manning and Betts are as good as the hype we should have a nice group with increased production. Hopefully a couple guys establish themselves as deep threats, when defenses don't have to respect the long ball it makes everything harder. 

That and then hopefully they’ll help a ton in the RZ. Writers have mentioned that’s the one area the offensive staff has been irate about through the spring and fall camps the last two years. And then we’ve been pretty bad in the RZ once the season rolls around which probably shouldn’t have been a surprise given the camp reports.

Betts and Manning should change that issue by themselves.

4 hours ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

I would certainly hope our offense is better this year. It took a step back in like every metric from the 2018 season.

I agree.  Losing JD (if gone) will hurt.  People crazy to say it won't impact NU if he's out.  We have the entire OL back, Wan'dale, a healthy AM, Vokolek at TE, a ton of potential OL talent, two potential game changing receivers etc.....And Austin as the running game coordinator.  I continue to beat the drum of liking to see Luke used like Taysom Hill. That'd be a nightmare for opposing DC's....I think that'd go a long way into getting him meaningful snaps/experience and keep him happy (not that he isn't).

Defense, I see some issues....Sipple mentioned a comment that Chin made about the DL would have some big shoes to fill...Sip was concerned with this comment as the shoes to fill were almost deadlast against the run (4.8 ypc) in the B1G and the towards the bottom in FBS...But that's another thread.

To the OP, I really believe there is no competition.  The job is AM's to lose.  BUT if he struggles, I think Luke gets a shot. Losing Noah makes it interesting in the decision making though.  How ready will Smothers be to go from #3 to #2 if AM goes down and Luke starts......We had all 3 injured last year......

• Plus1 2
16 hours ago, Danimal said:

Manning/Betts as the big body  guys, Vokolek at TE, Warner in the Westy/Nate Swift role and Wan'dale as the slot (duck R) gives us a lot of options we haven't had...Maybe ever at NU.  OF COURSE, this is all based on "potential" of Mannung/Betts/Vokolek.......The fact we will finally have receivers over 6' has got to be worth at least 2 wins.....:D

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, lo country said:

I agree.  Losing JD (if gone) will hurt.  People crazy to say it won't impact NU if he's out.  We have the entire OL back, Wan'dale, a healthy AM, Vokolek at TE, a ton of potential OL talent, two potential game changing receivers etc.....And Austin as the running game coordinator.  I continue to beat the drum of liking to see Luke used like Taysom Hill. That'd be a nightmare for opposing DC's....I think that'd go a long way into getting him meaningful snaps/experience and keep him happy (not that he isn't).

Defense, I see some issues....Sipple mentioned a comment that Chin made about the DL would have some big shoes to fill...Sip was concerned with this comment as the shoes to fill were almost deadlast against the run (4.8 ypc) in the B1G and the towards the bottom in FBS...But that's another thread.

To the OP, I really believe there is no competition.  The job is AM's to lose.  BUT if he struggles, I think Luke gets a shot. Losing Noah makes it interesting in the decision making though.  How ready will Smothers be to go from #3 to #2 if AM goes down and Luke starts......We had all 3 injured last year......

I think the DL has a chance to be pretty good.  I look for Ty Robinson to be ready to be a force.

Something tells me that YPC is going to drop this season, and Mauga-Clements will be a reason why.

The dude is a tackling machine.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
43 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I think the DL has a chance to be pretty good.  I look for Ty Robinson to be ready to be a force.

Something tells me that YPC is going to drop this season, and Mauga-Clements will be a reason why.

The dude is a tackling machine.

I agree that the guys starting have more "potential", but they are young.  Really hoping that we get a full season this year (practice and 12 games).  Saw and article Moos hopes we get all 12, but might be a shorter season starting towards the end of Sept.  As an off season article mentioned, NU lost over 30 additional practoves missing bowl games.  Can ill afford to lose anymore this season.  In the article by Sip on the D, Chin did mention simplifying the D this year. I am unsure what that means.  Calls, check downs, coverage, responsibilities etc...Simple doesn't alway mean easier or better, but it does appear to be a tweak.  Maybe the new D consultants will help with this.  

As you mentioned, a LB who can get the correct run fits, not over pursue or make the wrong reads will be huge.....

I still think we are a year or 2 away from seeing what we really have.  We need to get the depth where we are not replacing all 3 starters on the DL, or safety, or RB etc....That is going to take time.  

• Plus1 1