2020 Quarterback Competition

JD is a loss no matter how you look at it - however we have guys that can be similar to him.  It will only be a major factor if we have season long injuries.  This will be the first year where we have 5 RB/WR/TE that can do different things.  IF AM and the OL show up good things will happen.

The D has a lot of questions but that may not be a bad thing - just give the O the ball once or twice a game and make a few stops.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, lo country said:

I agree that the guys starting have more "potential", but they are young.  Really hoping that we get a full season this year (practice and 12 games).  Saw and article Moos hopes we get all 12, but might be a shorter season starting towards the end of Sept.  As an off season article mentioned, NU lost over 30 additional practoves missing bowl games.  Can ill afford to lose anymore this season.  In the article by Sip on the D, Chin did mention simplifying the D this year. I am unsure what that means.  Calls, check downs, coverage, responsibilities etc...Simple doesn't alway mean easier or better, but it does appear to be a tweak.  Maybe the new D consultants will help with this.  

As you mentioned, a LB who can get the correct run fits, not over pursue or make the wrong reads will be huge.....

I still think we are a year or 2 away from seeing what we really have.  We need to get the depth where we are not replacing all 3 starters on the DL, or safety, or RB etc....That is going to take time.  

The D line will be fine.

We need a linebacker to have in the 130 to 150 tackles range....which is where names such as Barrett Ruud, Demorrio Williams and LaVonte David ranked.

Mo Barry had 89 last season.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, TheSker said:

The D line will be fine.

We need a linebacker to have in the 130 to 150 tackles range....which is where names such as Barrett Ruud, Demorrio Williams and LaVonte David ranked.

Mo Barry had 89 last season.

Was hoping that JoJo would have been used similar to Super D....

As far as needing play like Ruud, David or Super D those are 3 of  best LB's to play at NU......Anyone would want a LB to play lke them...

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, lo country said:

Was hoping that JoJo would have been used similar to Super D....

As far as needing play like Ruud, David or Super D those are 3 of  best LB's to play at NU......Anyone would want a LB to play lke them...

Domann isn't always assignment fit.

Ironically "3 of best LB's" have a head coach in common ......

You don't think Barry had the opportunity to have 125+ tackles in Chinander's system?  Cuz I do.....

2 hours ago, TheSker said:

Domann isn't always assignment fit.

Ironically "3 of best LB's" have a head coach in common ......

You don't think Barry had the opportunity to have 125+ tackles in Chinander's system?  Cuz I do.....

That common coach is Bo.  Not sure what he has to do with this.  He also coached Suh.....Ruud gives him credit for turning him into the LB he was.  We have a coach he taught as a player that has yet to have the ILB position excel.........Frost was also coached by TO........

JoJo isn't always correct, but he makes mistakes 100 MPH which is better than some of the players....So if guys in year 2 as a starter are still making the same mistakes, whose fault is that?  TBH, not really sure why Ruud's name has never come up for a guy not coaching up to expectations/pedigree/ability/insert word choice here....

• Plus1 1

29 minutes ago, lo country said:

That common coach is Bo.  Not sure what he has to do with this.  He also coached Suh.....Ruud gives him credit for turning him into the LB he was.  We have a coach he taught as a player that has yet to have the ILB position excel.........Frost was also coached by TO........

JoJo isn't always correct, but he makes mistakes 100 MPH which is better than some of the players....So if guys in year 2 as a starter are still making the same mistakes, whose fault is that?  TBH, not really sure why Ruud's name has never come up for a guy not coaching up to expectations/pedigree/ability/insert word choice here....

Ruud's name has come up in that way.

Hopefully one or more of Heinrich, Hannah, and Mauga-Clements is ready to make some noise.  My bet is Mauga-Clements....

And I think the staff is high on what Gunnerson can do at OLB.

Ruud is not the problem with the LB group’s lack of production imo. The group has lacked speed and some size and general toughness as demonstrated by their play thus far but I tend to also feel scheme and staff changes as well as inconsistency in the D line roles and play are also major factors.  

We will see improvement this year and next IF the revolving door stops spinning.  Lets give the team and staff two more seasons and then assess the results all over the team.  

4 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Ruud is not the problem with the LB group’s lack of production imo. The group has lacked speed and some size and general toughness as demonstrated by their play thus far but I tend to also feel scheme and staff changes as well as inconsistency in the D line roles and play are also major factors.  

We will see improvement this year and next IF the revolving door stops spinning.  Lets give the team and staff two more seasons and then assess the results all over the team.  

I think next year 2021 (if we play this year) we will have a more honest picture of where we are. To the bolded, unsure if many teams have undergone what NU has the past 4-5 years with changes to scheme, coordinators, position coaches etc....

21 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I would agree that Ruud isn't the issue.  The defensive side of the ball has had so many changes the past five seasons it's almost unbelievable.

Luke is faster, a better arm, and better athlete than AM.  He represents a true dual threat that opponents will not enjoy playing against.  

If Luke starts and stays healthy we will have a winning season.  

if it’s AM we will see more of the same and another losing season.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4

Let's see.... It's wait and see on the Martinez injury that bugged the hell out of him all last season and made it hard to perform the running game against the mastodons of the Arctic League. Smothers is in the same position as McCaffrey last year...not likely to do much but come in for mop up or in an emergency. McCaffrey seems like the solid #2 with a chance at starting and running the whole play book....but could get smashed like a bug and also be hampered or done. Vedral is gone. The new local recruit looks pretty good but is strictly a practice QB at this point.
I think we should stop obsessing about the quarterback position and focus on almost everything else. Our best receiver was double-teamed most of last season and may not even be back. Our other receivers were ordinary and not as fast as most DB's they came up against. Our O line improved but still looked like second rate patchwork. Our RB's need to carry the load and not just show up once in a while. We've always looked down on Minnesota; It's been 20 years, we should start looking up to teams that are putting it together against long odds and quit acting entitled. I hope our new OC is able to get the most out of our guys and instill some confidence whoever is at quarterback.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
22 hours ago, Hilltop said:

The list in the article is indicative of what a joke the award is.  Don't get me wrong, I would love for 2AM or any Husker to win it. But, they list their top 15.  All but two are QBs with the other two being RBs.  

Sorry, a football team is more diverse than that.

• Plus1 1