2020 Quarterback Competition

I know the saying goes, that if you have 2 quarterbacks than you don't have one, or something like that lol...but I honestly feel really really good about our guys.  I like them both so much that it doesn't matter who is QB1 or not.  Next man up is always gone be ready.  That's a great feeling to have  chuckleshuffle

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, admo said:

I know the saying goes, that if you have 2 quarterbacks than you don't have one, or something like that lol

I don't think that pertains to having two QBs on the roster that pushes each other.  That's the way every team should be and thank GOD we have that now.

It's what is so frustrating about the QBs constantly transferring if the don't get the starting job.

• Fire 1
43 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't think that pertains to having two QBs on the roster that pushes each other.  That's the way every team should be and thank GOD we have that now.

It's what is so frustrating about the QBs constantly transferring if the don't get the starting job.

Luke doesn't seem like that kind of player. I think he is going to continue to fight for the number 1 spot, and truly believes that if he gets the opportunity he'll take the no.1 spot and run with it, never giving it back

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Completely agree, but what makes it difficult is when the fan base immediately calls for the starter to be pulled after the first 3 and out. At least we won't have fans in the stands and such calls will be confined to Huskerboard this year. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Completely agree, but what makes it difficult is when the fan base immediately calls for the starter to be pulled after the first 3 and out. At least we won't have fans in the stands and such calls will be confined to Huskerboard this year.

Well, my first reaction to that is those fans need to get clue in life because they're idiots.  The vast majority of coaches don't listen to that noise and manage the team as they see fit.  That's what they should do.

Random thoughts: McCaffrey will be special here eventually, but he also would have fit right into Osborne & Solich's scheme. They probably would have had him add a bit more than just 10 pounds during his redshirt freshman year to run the option, though.

In a run-first scheme, he'd be the guy. But that's not exactly what this offense is at the QB position. I think some of our fans are still stuck in "1995 run the damn ball" mode, and that's probably what drives a lot of the commentary on putting Luke in over Adrian.

• Plus1 1

First real QB competition since Eric and Bobby?  I am liking that this appears to be a real competition.  Two guys capable (read potential) to do some great things. I'm guessing Smothers will add to that next year.  And Luke at 6'2 and 205 is a lot bigger than last season......I like that AM says he feels great.  I am hoping even healthier than he was in 2019.

14 hours ago, Undone said:

Random thoughts: McCaffrey will be special here eventually, but he also would have fit right into Osborne & Solich's scheme. They probably would have had him add a bit more than just 10 pounds during his redshirt freshman year to run the option, though.

In a run-first scheme, he'd be the guy. But that's not exactly what this offense is at the QB position. I think some of our fans are still stuck in "1995 run the damn ball" mode, and that's probably what drives a lot of the commentary on putting Luke in over Adrian.

Luke completed a RB screen.  Don't forget about that.  He's not just a running QB

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
29 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Luke completed a RB screen.  Don't forget about that.  He's not just a running QB

It always amuses me how many critics we have for every “backup” QB on the roster, whether they have played or not.  I start with the view that Frost & Co wouldnt waste scholarships on QBs or any other position really so the guys are capable.  Frost’s offense is very QB focused and average or below QBs will not win games for us.  The QB has to throw very well, run well and make quick, smart reads and decisions. If not, we will punt early and often.  

As for Luke and Adrian, imo both are capable but neither has shown enough yet.  Adrian at times has done good things but rarely exhibits the difference maker stuff Frost must have to win vs top 30 teams.  If we have a winning season, the QB will have played better than any of the past 5 seasons by a good margin.  Stats are a good indicator but making keys plays at key times to convert third downs and move the chains, and getting points (7 or 3) on most drives is the best measure.  

The QB cant be a one-man team but he can’t rely on others to make him look better in this offensive scheme (assuming we dont unvail something remarkably different) which is very unlikely.  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Adrian at times has done good things but rarely exhibits the difference maker stuff Frost must have to win vs top 30 teams.  If we have a winning season, the QB will have played better than any of the past 5 seasons by a good margin.

I think that true freshman Adrian was roughly on par with junior or senior Tommy Armstrong. If we had good run blocking and two good RBs that were rotating in (which I think we probably do have this season already in Mills + whoever is #2) I think we could beat Minnesota & Iowa.

But beating those two teams goes along with a big caveat that special teams has to see a complete 180 degree turnaround, along with at least slightly better defensive play.

2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Stats are a good indicator but making keys plays at key times to convert third downs and move the chains, and getting points (7 or 3) on most drives is the best measure.

Freshman Adrian did those things, for sure. The Iowa game in 2018 comes to mind. 

• Plus1 3
26 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think that true freshman Adrian was roughly on par with junior or senior Tommy Armstrong. If we had good run blocking and two good RBs that were rotating in (which I think we probably do have this season already in Mills + whoever is #2) I think we could beat Minnesota & Iowa.

But beating those two teams goes along with a big caveat that special teams has to see a complete 180 degree turnaround, along with at least slightly better defensive play.

Freshman Adrian did those things, for sure. The Iowa game in 2018 comes to mind. 

I'm not trying to knock Tommy, but freshman Adrian was better than Tommy and sophomore Adrian was on par with those years with Tommy. Adrian has outrun Tommy every year except for his sophomore year where he went for 705. As a passer so far, Adrian has been consistently more accurate than even Tommy's best year and AM's passer rating his freshmen bested anything Tommy did and their sophomore years were similar. Tommy threw for a few more TD's and yards, but also more interceptions (with a few more games) than AM has. So, if we get freshman AM or better this year along with good OL and RB play we should see our best QB play in a long time.

• Plus1 1