2020 Quarterback Competition

7 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I'm not trying to knock Tommy, but freshman Adrian was better than Tommy and sophomore Adrian was on par with those years with Tommy. Adrian has outrun Tommy every year except for his sophomore year where he went for 705. As a passer so far, Adrian has been consistently more accurate than even Tommy's best year and AM's passer rating his freshmen bested anything Tommy did and their sophomore years were similar. Tommy threw for a few more TD's and yards, but also more interceptions (with a few more games) than AM has. So, if we get freshman AM or better this year along with good OL and RB play we should see our best QB play in a long time.

Lol no

Nebraska coach Scott Frost hasn't made a final decision on who will be the starting quarterback, he said Tuesday. The top two competitors, Adrian Martinez and Luke McCaffrey, will go into a final week of competition. 

"I wouldn't say it's clear yet," Frost said. The coach would prefer to pick one starting quarterback and stick with him, but will do "whatever's best to help the team."

McCaffrey could play other positions if he's one of the best athletes on the field — coaches have indicated he is — but he remains primarily a quarterback, Frost said. 

"He's a quarterback," Frost said. "I want to make that clear. Right now our offense moves exceptionally well when he's playing quarterback. He finds ways to make a lot of plays work, he's throwing the ball really well and I don't think anybody has any questions about his athletic ability or his speed.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

I think he's right with no. (all stats pulled from cfbstats.com)

Tommy had 2695 yard passing with 22 TD's his sophomore year.  Adrian had 1956 with 10 TD's his sophomore year.  Tommy averaged over 200 yards passing per game.  Adrian did not.

Tommy had 705 yards rushing with 7 TD's his sophomore year.  Adrian had 625 yards.

You're barely factoring in the 13 games versus 10. 207 YPG is better, but not drastically different than 195 YPG. The TDs is a bigger difference for sure, and I think that's where a lot of the disappointment was last year. So edge to Armstrong in TDs and YPG, push in YPA and INT (just less than 1 per game each), edge Martinez in completion percentage and carrying a team with very little skill position help. Also don't know if you noticed this with the 705 rushing versus 625, but that's 54 per game for Armstrong and 62.5 for Martinez. Better YPC for Armstrong though.

It's impossible to compare exactly because the offenses are different, and just as importantly the talent is different. How do Martinez's numbers look last year if he's throwing to Westerkamp, Bell, and DPE with Ameer, Cross and Newby in the backfield? In my opinion, a lot better. The 2014 offense was less conducive to great passing numbers schematically, but much much more so with the talent. 

8 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Opinions vary.

Regardless, Tommy's sophomore year was very comparable and exceeded in certain areas to Adrian.  That means @KingBlank 's original statement has merit.  Disagreement with it should be evidence based instead of just snarky disagreement with no substance.

So, I'm more in agreement with his statement than disagreement with it based on the stats/evidence.

So... you could say on par with?

Fair enough though, I know people have different views on it and at some point stats can be used to back up either side. But if the contention is no, Adrian last year was not on par with Tommy in 2014 I need more than "Tommy threw more TDs and 12 more yards per game" to agree with it. Especially given the surrounding talent difference. 

1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

Opinions vary.

Regardless, Tommy's sophomore year was very comparable and exceeded in certain areas to Adrian.  That means @KingBlank 's original statement has merit.  Disagreement with it should be evidence based instead of just snarky disagreement with no substance.

So, I'm more in agreement with his statement than disagreement with it based on the stats/evidence.

My second snarky response was just in response to his initial snarky response in which he offered no evidence to my post that did include evidence. If you go back to the original statement I quote, it said Adrian's first two years were on par with Tommy's Sophomore and Junior. I was sharing that Adrian's freshmen year exceeded anything Tommy did (go check the evidence, it does) and Adrian's sophomore year was more on par with Tommy's sophomore and junior years. I never said better or exact just that his sophomore year was more comparative to those.

• Plus1 2

Real games against other opponents. Watching highlights and games "in 60 minutes" you quickly see certain formations over and over just baiting defenses into show this, then this, and then gotcha. Most plays are easy reads or one option reads that I don't know how well he could handle a full playbook for 60 minutes and really stretch a defense. Not saying he can't, just seems odd at this point.

One part of Martinez struggles last year was a deeper playbook that asked more of him with less veterans to execute the plan. Those growing pains had to further expand his grasp on being a "full" quarterback.

9 minutes ago, deedsker said:

This still feels like smoke and mirrors. The number of formations and concepts Luke has been exposed to in live ball is limited. I can't think how this is actually a real competition. 

I mean AM lead the conf in turnovers last year, so it's not like his tape is extremely strong. We also have a new set of eyes in Lubick, who Frost really trusts. Lubick might see something in McCaffery that gives him an edge.

• Plus1 1