2020 Quarterback Competition

4 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I mean AM lead the conf in turnovers last year, so it's not like his tape is extremely strong. We also have a new set of eyes in Lubick, who Frost really trusts. Lubick might see something in McCaffery that gives him an edge.

I didn't realize it was that bad, but when this is your life in the pocket I can only fault you so much.

Opponent Film Breakdown: What to expect from Nebraska

What a phenomenal effort': Iowa's A.J. Epenesa was a one-man wrecking crew  against Nebraska – The Athletic

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Real games against other opponents. Watching highlights and games "in 60 minutes" you quickly see certain formations over and over just baiting defenses into show this, then this, and then gotcha. Most plays are easy reads or one option reads that I don't know how well he could handle a full playbook for 60 minutes and really stretch a defense. Not saying he can't, just seems odd at this point.

One part of Martinez struggles last year was a deeper playbook that asked more of him with less veterans to execute the plan. Those growing pains had to further expand his grasp on being a "full" quarterback.

Eh, that quite the stretch.  Playing in games is one tool to help you get better but it is far from the only one.  Trevor Lawrence had played in exactly zero games before a season where he threw for 3,200 yards, 30 TDs and only 4 INTs and led Clemson to the Playoff. 

No QB anywhere has played in games before they do.  You have to play in your first games at some point.  

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Eh, that quite the stretch.  Playing in games is one tool to help you get better but it is far from the only one.  Trevor Lawrence had played in exactly zero games before a season where he threw for 3,200 yards, 30 TDs and only 4 INTs and led Clemson to the Playoff. 

No QB anywhere has played in games before they do.  You have to play in your first games at some point.  

Tommie Frazier seemed to do ok.

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Luke has and what they asked of him was very small, imho. Nobody restricted Trevor very much after he got the reigns a couple games in and had most of a full playbook to use. He never seemed to be limited in formations and concepts his first year.

Also seems to be a stretch to compare Luke to a guy who was considered a once in a generation talent expected to be a first round NFL draft pick guy out of high school. Trevor also basically unseated a multiyear starter at the beginning of the year when he got just as much playing time right away and Bryant transferred seeing the writing on the wall.

• Thanks 2
Just now, deedsker said:

Luke has and what they asked of him was very small, imho. Nobody restricted Trevor very much after he got the reigns a couple games in and had most of a full playbook to use. He never seemed to be limited in formations and concepts his first year.

Luke also didn't play nearly as much QB before he got to college.  Yet he was still good enough to get on the field as a true freshman.  Now he's had an entire year of practice and study.   It seems wholly disingenuous to completely discount the ability of someone to be better than they were a year ago.  Why even practice?

Just now, deedsker said:

Also seems to be a stretch to compare Luke to a guy who was considered a once in a generation talent expected to be a first round NFL draft pick guy out of high school. Trevor also basically unseated a multiyear starter at the beginning of the year when he got just as much playing time right away and Bryant transferred seeing the writing on the wall.

I figured you'd go the "so now you're comparing Luke to Trevor" route rather than try to understand the point that prior experience doesn't always have anything to do with future results, which is the point you continue to ignore.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Luke also didn't play nearly as much QB before he got to college.  Yet he was still good enough to get on the field as a true freshman.  Now he's had an entire year of practice and study.   It seems wholly disingenuous to completely discount the ability of someone to be better than they were a year ago.  Why even practice?

I figured you'd go the "so now you're comparing Luke to Trevor" route rather than try to understand the point that prior experience doesn't always have anything to do with future results, which is the point you continue to ignore.

You also don't seem to want to give me any credit for a lot of qualifiers I have put into my explanations. I am skeptical. I am not saying I don't believe Luke will ever be good. Some nuance is probably needed on both sides of this back and forth.

I am saying comparing a situation like many good people have to the very best probably doesn't equate to a lot of solid comparisons. Luke, at this point, is probably a better comparison to his brother at Michigan than he is to one of the best QBs in college football. And just fwiw, I really liked his brother and thought he deserved more, so lets pump the brakes a little.

• Plus1 1
Just now, deedsker said:

You also don't seem to want to give me any credit for a lot of qualifiers I have put into my explanations. I am skeptical. I am not saying I don't believe Luke will ever be good. Some nuance is probably needed on both sides of this back and forth.

I didn't say that you were saying that either.  So I guess we agree there.

Just now, deedsker said:

I am saying comparing a situation like many good people have to the very best probably doesn't equate to a lot of solid comparisons. Luke, at this point, is probably a better comparison to his brother at Michigan than he is to one of the best QBs in college football. And just fwiw, I really liked his brother and thought he deserved more, so lets pump the brakes a little.

You've been basically saying that he can't really be that close to Martinez because the coaches didn't trust him with very much last year.  There doesn't seem to be any basis for that other than you just don't want to believe it.  Which is fine if that's what you think.  But it doesn't really make much sense to think that someone couldn't have gotten better from one year to the next.

• Plus1 2
Just now, Mavric said:

.  But it doesn't really make much sense to think that someone couldn't have gotten better from one year to the next.

So has Martinez not gotten better/healthier? I would assume both have made more progress. I just give credit to Martinez likely having started from a much higher point. :dunno

10 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

To be fair here that was mostly driven by injuries after the two scholarship guys above him were out minus the Iowa game.

To be fair, they were purposefully trying to avoid playing him in more than four games to preserve his redshirt.

Which makes waiting to see if he would be needed in an injury situation a pretty prudent course of action.

• Plus1 1

I think theres a 97% chance martinez is the starter... BUT if he had a hard time making plays last year with that supporting cast he might have those same problems this year. I think a lot of fans are assuming that a bunch of unproven young players are going to step in and be able to make plays. Nebraska is about as inexperienced as it gets at right tackle and wide receiver. With a new offensive coordinator and a backup in mccaffery who might be able to make plays in the run game that Martinez can't there's about a 3% mccaffery starts a game this year not due to injury.

• Plus1 2