2020 Quarterback Competition

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

There's also a fine line between taking what you can get and buying time for your receivers to work open.  If you take off too soon you might get 8-10 yards on the scramble but miss a chance for 20-30 yards if you give your receivers more time.  So it's kind of hard to know where the line should be.

Given the struggles of the offense, I think it's fair to say he should have been running more than he did in the situations you describe.  But the reason doesn't have to be that he's hesitant to run.

All of The QB’s should be watching film of Mahomes and analyze how he handles a broken pocket.  He is a master at figuring out when it is appropriate to by time for a receiver to break open and when to take off for the positive yardage.  

• Plus1 2

On 10/15/2020 at 1:35 PM, LumberJackSker said:

I think theres a 97% chance martinez is the starter... BUT if he had a hard time making plays last year with that supporting cast he might have those same problems this year. I think a lot of fans are assuming that a bunch of unproven young players are going to step in and be able to make plays. Nebraska is about as inexperienced as it gets at right tackle and wide receiver. With a new offensive coordinator and a backup in mccaffery who might be able to make plays in the run game that Martinez can't there's about a 3% mccaffery starts a game this year not due to injury.

yeah, sure, that makes sense!  lol

On 10/15/2020 at 12:35 PM, LumberJackSker said:

I think theres a 97% chance martinez is the starter... BUT if he had a hard time making plays last year with that supporting cast he might have those same problems this year. I think a lot of fans are assuming that a bunch of unproven young players are going to step in and be able to make plays. Nebraska is about as inexperienced as it gets at right tackle and wide receiver. With a new offensive coordinator and a backup in mccaffery who might be able to make plays in the run game that Martinez can't there's about a 3% mccaffery starts a game this year not due to injury.

You can definitely add me to that group of people that thinks he’s got a better supporting cast, even though they’re all so young. Wan’Dale wasn’t a fluke last season. Any one of the following guys can have that same impact this season:

True freshman that could make a huge impact:

- Alante Brown

- Marcus Fleming

- Xavier Watts

- Sevion Morrison

R-FR & Transfers

- Manning

- Houston

- Thompkins

The TE’s and Oline will be improved. Plenty of others have a chance to shine too. We have the talent to make waves. We have the QB to take us to the next level as well. Martinez could be that QB, but if he comes out with the his historical performance, then #7 needs his shot. He’s proven through camp he’s ready. I’m getting excited for next week’s game already! This week... not so much. 

Just now, ZMagers22 said:

You can definitely add me to that group of people that thinks he’s got a better supporting cast, even though they’re all so young. Wan’Dale wasn’t a fluke last season. Any one of the following guys can have that same impact this season:

True freshman that could make a huge impact:

- Alante Brown

- Marcus Fleming

- Xavier Watts

- Sevion Morrison

R-FR & Transfers

- Manning

- Houston

- Thompkins

The TE’s and Oline will be improved. Plenty if others have a chance to shine too. We have the talent to make waves. We have the QB to take us to the next level as well. Martinez could be that QB, but if he comes out with the his historical performance, then #7 needs his shot. He’s proven through camp he’s ready. I’m getting excited for Next weeks game already! This week... not so much. 

Is there something I need to know? :lol: