2020 Quarterback Competition

15 hours ago, Landlord said:

When did Taylor play bad enough over a 2+ game stretch that he should have lost his job, and who should he have lost it to? 

He had some sloppy games which made victories a lot tougher to earn.    As far as losing his job due to performance, that was a big problem with Pelini.   The guy could not manage a roster.   Who was Taylor Martinez’s backup?  Was it Ron Kellogg?

35 minutes ago, OH HSKR FAN said:

He had some sloppy games which made victories a lot tougher to earn.    As far as losing his job due to performance, that was a big problem with Pelini.   The guy could not manage a roster.   Who was Taylor Martinez’s backup?  Was it Ron Kellogg?

His freshman year it was Cody Green and Zac Lee. Sophomore it was Brion Carnes and Ron Kellogg. Junior it was more or less the same, and senior it was Kellogg and Tommy.

8 minutes ago, EZ-E said:

Adrian Martinez will be your starting QB next year. I kind of feel a lot will be disappointed when they find out Luke McCaffrey will be 3rd behind Smothers 

I think Smothers has the best future between he and McCaffrey, but I don’t see him beating Luke out for 2nd string in 2020. If Vedral sticks around, I expect Smothers to be 4th string and redshirt. 

• Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think Smothers has the best future between he and McCaffrey, but I don’t see him beating Luke out for 2nd string in 2020. If Vedral sticks around, I expect Smothers to be 4th string and redshirt. 

Smothers will redshirt, yes. 

• Fire 1

14 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree smothers redshirts. I think Luke is 2nd and Vedral drops to 3rd maybe causing him to transfer? 

13 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yet he will be the backup to Martinez?

If Martinez stays healthy, you'd hope the backup doesn't need to play in more than 4 games. If we're blowing people out, you don't necessarily have to put the 2nd stringer in if you're trying to redshirt him. I can buy Smothers as the #2, meaning the guy who comes in if we're still in the game and Martinez is hurt - and hopefully Martinez isn't hurt enough that the #2 has to play in 5+ games. I personally don't think he beats out McCaffrey in year one, but a #2 redshirting works with the 4 game rule.

I believe we have all seen those threads where people debate endlessly on which running back or quarterback should be where and why.  In the end, it is oft times decided by who is left and healthy enough to play snaps.  The Big 10 really is a meat grinder when it comes to injuries, more so than (I believe) any other conference.  Then there is the suspension wild card that can happen, whether grades or shenanigans.  I don't care who starts the season as long as we have somebody left who is healthy enough to finish the season without any drop off.  Who they are, I don't care.

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, runningblind said:

His 12 passes have shown you this?

McCaffrey actually reads the defense, so yes.  And it was more than 12 plays, he ran 3-4 times off pass plays, too.  He makes smarter plays which moves us closer to the 'system' that Frost is installing.  So, yes, McCaffrey gets us to the system sooner at this point.  It is nice to have someone on the roster pushing Martinez.  BackInTheDay makes a great point.  Just being the best ability may not get you through the season because the B1G schedule is so brutal.  But I don't think it was any more brutal than the Big 12 until they chalked up more in-conference games.  I think the B1G would be wise to back off one in-conference game for the good of the members.

• Haha 1