2020 Quarterback Competition

2 hours ago, madrat said:

McCaffrey actually reads the defense, so yes.  And it was more than 12 plays, he ran 3-4 times off pass plays, too.  He makes smarter plays which moves us closer to the 'system' that Frost is installing.  So, yes, McCaffrey gets us to the system sooner at this point.  It is nice to have someone on the roster pushing Martinez.  BackInTheDay makes a great point.  Just being the best ability may not get you through the season because the B1G schedule is so brutal.  But I don't think it was any more brutal than the Big 12 until they chalked up more in-conference games.  I think the B1G would be wise to back off one in-conference game for the good of the members.

That’s the opposite of what people who actually have insider contacts have said so I’m inclined to be skeptical.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
26 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That’s the opposite of what people who actually have insider contacts have said so I’m inclined to be skeptical.

I haven't talked to many people who don't believe Martinez when healthy is our best option AS IT STANDS. That's obviously subject to change. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Landlord said:

Agreed, this madrat fella has educated opinions.

I'm following our team from a football perspective.  All my love for the Huskers won't fix bad football.  You build a program around people.  And sometimes people let you down so you adjust.  But you don't do that by wearing emotions on the sleeve.  In the end the score is what sets the mood.  Someday Nebraska will get good again and fixing the Jimmys and Joes helps.  We've got close to a total conversion now, so it's time to expect good Xs & Os.

I'm pretty sure football forums are filled with opinions.  You don't have to agree with mine, but instead of getting on the messenger you could pick apart the message.

On 12/3/2019 at 8:07 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

It was a trick play, inserted for that game and used for a specific situation. It wasn’t a run-pass option for McCaffrey.  It was a hard rollout left for Luke, with the idea of sneaking JD behind the defense who would be keyed on McCaffrey running the ball. It was much like using a Wildcat RB/QB and having that Wildcat RB/QB throw the ball, to try and trick the defense. It was the epitome of a trick play.

Frost even said after the game that Vedral and McCaffrey were going to be used for certain package (trick) plays. Frost wasn’t using Luke in that situation as another choice at QB for a few series.  Luke was put in to run that special play, and it worked. Then Luke went back to the bench, as was planned. 

What makes that a trick play?

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What makes that a trick play?

IMO, it was a trick play. He wasn’t being brought into run the offense, he was brought into the game for that specific play.  Iowa knew McCaffrey’s tendency to run the ball, and Frost countered that specific play call for McCaffrey. It was mainly a one man route with the hope of getting Spielman behind the secondary when McCaffrey rolled to his left. Just because it didn’t look like a “trick” play, it doesn’t mean it wasn’t a trick play in my opinion (and others in the media). 

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

IMO, it was a trick play. He wasn’t being brought into run the offense, he was brought into the game for that specific play.  Iowa knew McCaffrey’s tendency to run the ball, and Frost countered that specific play call for McCaffrey. It was mainly a one man route with the hope of getting Spielman behind the secondary when McCaffrey rolled to his left. Just because it didn’t look like a “trick” play, it doesn’t mean it wasn’t a trick play in my opinion (and others in the media). 

That’s not a trick play. QBs run similar plays all the time. And he’s a QB. 

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That’s not a trick play. QBs run similar plays all the time. And he’s a QB. 

He was brought into run that specific play, and only that play. IMO, it’s like a wildcard RB being brought in and having him throw the ball.  McCaffrey wasn’t being brought in to run the offense, he was brought in to run a trick play. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, madrat said:

What are you pointing at?  I did not post grades here.

correct, but in the OL thread the grades you were referring to came from PFF which isnt the coaches grading, it is a site entirely separate from nebraska football. so, the grades you keep referring to as the coaches grades are not the coaches grades.

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

He was brought into run that specific play, and only that play. IMO, it’s like a wildcard RB being brought in and having him throw the ball.  McCaffrey wasn’t being brought in to run the offense, he was brought in to run a trick play. 

I understand where you’re coming from but if Martinez had run the same play would it be a trick play?