2020 Quarterback Competition

5 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Martinez came in with minimal experience? Lol how does that stack up to McCaffreys one year of starting in HS? Martinez was starting as a Soph in HS.

I remember seeing an article last spring where Verduzco was bragging that Luke tested out as the fastest "blinker" in the QB room.  Experience is important, but the ability read and react quickly and decisively is also important.  Some have it, some don't.  We don't have a large enough sample size to anoint McCaffery as next year's starter, but his passing efficiency definitely warrants some deep consideration this next year.

15 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Strong disagree. I think every pass McCaffrey threw this year was one option or run it. Martinez would have hit Spielman for a TD on the reverse in the Maryland game instead of massively underthrowing him like McCaffrey did. If McCaffrey had to make reads and all the throws he would have struggled this year. More than Martinez.

Martinez is not a good player.  He's simply not.  Folks loving being mired in mediocrity may disagree and fight for him, but he's simply not good.  

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Skeeball said:

I remember seeing an article last spring where Verduzco was bragging that Luke tested out as the fastest "blinker" in the QB room.  Experience is important, but the ability read and react quickly and decisively is also important.  Some have it, some don't.  We don't have a large enough sample size to anoint McCaffery as next year's starter, but his passing efficiency definitely warrants some deep consideration this next year.

Think you are exaggerating there. I know the quote you are talking about and I'm pretty sure there wasn't a test for it(luke did very well on the playbook test, that is something different) also, I'm almost positive he didn't anoint McCaffrey as the fastest blinker among the QB room. He said he was a fast blinker, I don't think he ever said he was the fastest. I'm sure they look at passing efficiency of the practice reps as well. 

Just now, DefenderAO said:

Martinez is not a good player.  He's simply not.  Folks loving being mired in mediocrity may disagree and fight for him, but he's simply not good.  

Frost loves being mired in mediocrity, got it. This is a clown level take

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Think you are exaggerating there. I know the quote you are talking about and I'm pretty sure there wasn't a test for it(luke did very well on the playbook test, that is something different) also, I'm almost positive he didn't anoint McCaffrey as the fastest blinker among the QB room. He said he was a fast blinker, I don't think he ever said he was the fastest. I'm sure they look at passing efficiency of the practice reps as well. 

Brilliant comeback.  I watched every snap.  He's poor. He can't read defenses.  He's erratic on accuracy.  He has no juke.  His top end speed dipped this year...bad.

4 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Brilliant comeback.  I watched every snap.  He's poor. He can't read defenses.  He's erratic on accuracy.  He has no juke.  His top end speed dipped this year...bad.

So you think the coaches are lying or flat our wrong about the kid? Hey man, if you know more than the staff does, why didn't we just hire you??

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Strong disagree. I think every pass McCaffrey threw this year was one option or run it. Martinez would have hit Spielman for a TD on the reverse in the Maryland game instead of massively underthrowing him like McCaffrey did. If McCaffrey had to make reads and all the throws he would have struggled this year. More than Martinez.

Agree on the one option or run, but the coaching staff bragged about how quickly he picked up the play book.  Another year in the program will only help.  Agree to disagree on the Martinez/McCaffery passing accuracy.  McCaffery was 9/12 with 2 TDs passing, 0 ints & 1 TD rushing.  I remember one incompletion to Martinez who appeared to ease up on the route down the sideline.  Sample size is awfully small to draw too many conclusions, but one other intangible is he seemed to elevate the play of those around him.  Can't speak to the psychological rational behind that.  Maybe the rest of the team realized they had to step up their play to help the "new" kid out.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Skeeball said:

Agree on the one option or run, but the coaching staff bragged about how quickly he picked up the play book.  Another year in the program will only help.  Agree to disagree on the Martinez/McCaffery passing accuracy.  McCaffery was 9/12 with 2 TDs passing, 0 ints & 1 TD rushing.  I remember one incompletion to Martinez who appeared to ease up on the route down the sideline.  Sample size is awfully small to draw too many conclusions, but one other intangible is he seemed to elevate the play of those around him.  Can't speak to the psychological rational behind that.  Maybe the rest of the team realized they had to step up their play to help the "new" kid out.

I think you voiced my concern with the small sample size combined with the limited playbook when he was out there. There was also talk of McCaffrey being far too interception prone in practice. I think we put our best option out there every week this season. Now, as far as next season is concerned that is another conversation entirely. McCaffrey seems like the type of kid who will improve massively through his career as he works hard and is intelligent and athletic so in no way will I rule out him taking over the job next year. I think it will be an open and competitive competition. That said, I also wouldn't rule out Martinez coming back with a vengeance next season. I think we will see greatly improved play from our QB position next season regardless of who the starter is. This year was an outlier for this staff in that regard, I expect to regress to the mean.

20 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

You are right.  I looked it up.   Verduzco said his performance on the 722 question test was as good as he's ever seen for a young guy.   Do you think if we limit Martinez to two options,  we'll see a return of the 2018 "fast" blinker?   I'd still like to see him run hard and decisively.  He's got 20lbs on Vedral and 40lbs on McCaffery.  Use them to get those extra yards.  Vedral & McCaffery weren't afraid to put their shoulder down.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Skeeball said:

You are right.  I looked it up.   Verduzco said his performance on the 722 question test was as good as he's ever seen for a young guy.   Do you think if we limit Martinez to two options,  we'll see a return of the 2018 "fast" blinker?   I'd still like to see him run hard and decisively.  He's got 20lbs on Vedral and 40lbs on McCaffery.  Use them to get those extra yards.  Vedral & McCaffery weren't afraid to put their shoulder down.

Next years starter will be operating the full playbook whoever it is. Martinez seemed to be slow all season, that will have to change if he is going to start next year. I think he will get it together but if he doesn't we will be fine.

I trust the staff to get the QB play right. They have an impressive track record at that position and I don't think it was dumb luck or they suddenly forgot how to coach. I think there was more to the struggles this year than meets the eye and I think we get some of that ironed out before next year.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

So you think the coaches are lying or flat our wrong about the kid? Hey man, if you know more than the staff does, why didn't we just hire you??

Mr. Martinez, I'd focus on your son's regression and his future mental health vs. trying to do the forensics on the many reasons the Staff played him before other competent QB's this year.  

• Haha 1
Just now, DefenderAO said:

Mr. Martinez, I'd focus on your son's regression and his future mental health vs. trying to do the forensics on the many reasons the Staff played him before other competent QB's this year.  

Is the staff lying or incompetent? Because if Martinez is so bad they are one or the other.

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

Is the staff lying or incompetent? Because if Martinez is so bad they are one or the other.

Long game and Frost's commitment to his pre-Frosh commit to the kid.  He really likes Adrian.  Frost goes 1996 and wants Adrian to fight through adversity, but Adrian is not in the mold.  Frost also knew, after a bit, this year wasn't the right one to burn a red shirt on.  

Any sane, unbiased, rational person watching Adrian this year should see this kid doesn't have "it."  He cannot take this program where it needs to be.  That's no bash on him.  I want AMart healthy, mentally sound, in good spirits...and to be usurped by better QB's who can truly lead a team with good decisions, conviction, and consistently high play.  

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Can't wait for Martinez to have the best season for a QB in Husker history next year and watch heads explode lol

I've said this multiple times; Tommie Frazier wasn't in the top 25 in total yardage in 1995.  He needed 600 more yards to get there.  

Have you note-padded your excuses for why your kid may not be the right fit for this team yet?