2020 Quarterback Competition

1 minute ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Bring back the old Player/Coach position?  Now that you mention it, I think last year's starting QB (who played ahead of Luke in High school) is recently in the transfer portal.

Colorado's starting QB? And yea, Luke would be a steal for the Buffs.  He could be both a Heisman QB and a Coach of the year candudate, 2 for 1 deal.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

My reason for that concern is just the way last year played out.  Just felt Luke was a better QB and Frost has a bias toward AM.  I could be wrong, but thats how I feel.

Why did you think Luke was the ''better QB''?

He did seem to get better snaps which helped his timing, Completed some wobbly passes and ran with more purpose than 2AM but such a small number of plays...Still think overall. Vedral had the best ''look'' of the 3...And I'm guessing 2AM was hurt more than the coach is letting on.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Why did you think Luke was the ''better QB''?

He did seem to get better snaps which helped his timing, Completed some wobbly passes and ran with more purpose than 2AM but such a small number of plays...Still think overall. Vedral had the best ''look'' of the 3...And I'm guessing 2AM was hurt more than the coach is letting on.

3fold.  1) Luke was the best QB in his limited snaps.  Yes it was a small sample size, but what else do we have to go on?  Also you could use that argument for him.  Coming cold off the bench n STILL performed.  Imagine how he would have been in a rhythm.

2) Regardless of his talents, he seems to be the biggest fighter.  Spirit, Drive, Contagious energy that effects entire team.

3) just a gut feeling (but regardless of if he passes the ball well, you got some things guarenteed) Fastest QB, gonna be high energy, gonna bring that spirit n soul.  Even IF he doesn't pass the ball well, it cant be much worse than AM was, and you dont get those 3 traits i mentioned from AM or Vedral, at least not on the level of Luke.

1 hour ago, BigPeterJ said:

3fold.  1) Luke was the best QB in his limited snaps.  Yes it was a small sample size, but what else do we have to go on?  Also you could use that argument for him.  Coming cold off the bench n STILL performed.  Imagine how he would have been in a rhythm.

2) Regardless of his talents, he seems to be the biggest fighter.  Spirit, Drive, Contagious energy that effects entire team.

3) just a gut feeling (but regardless of if he passes the ball well, you got some things guarenteed) Fastest QB, gonna be high energy, gonna bring that spirit n soul.  Even IF he doesn't pass the ball well, it cant be much worse than AM was, and you dont get those 3 traits i mentioned from AM or Vedral, at least not on the level of Luke.

Your 2nd and 3rd points are basically the same thing.  They are intangible qualities, which I agree Luke looks to have. Regarding your first point, it was easier for Luke to come in and look good in specifically designed play calls for him, in limited action. He wasn’t running the full play book when he was playing. Also, he was very thin in 2019, and is significantly the smallest QB, among the top 4 QB’s. His size will be an issue in staying healthy.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
36 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

. He wasn’t running the full play book when he was playing. Also, he was very thin in 2019, and is significantly the smallest QB, among the top 4 QB’s. His size will be an issue in staying healthy.  

To these points, AM looked great with smaller size and limited playbook his first year as well. 

• Plus1 3

On 12/26/2019 at 3:06 PM, Landlord said:

In the interest of curiosity, I went and watched the Indiana game, which I never saw because I was working that day. I also watched all of Luke's passes from every other game

1st pass - Simple halfback screen dump, complete

2nd pass - Rollout right, no reads just a single receiver wide open in the endzone, complete (receiver had to adjust awkwardly as it wasn't really in stride and on the numbers, but was fine nonetheless)

3rd pass - Incomplete, threw it in the dirt 3 yards in front of the receiver

4th pass - No read, simple dump out to Wandale in the flat, complete (good pass, on the numbers in stride)

5th pass - Pump fake to Wandale, went through a read, nice play complete to Noa for a first down

6th pass - bubble to Wandale, complete but at his feet

7th pass (Maryland) - trick play black 41 flash reverse - complete, would have been a touchdown if he didn't underthrow Spielman

8th pass - incomplete, i guess trying a back shoulder end zone throw? Threw it in the dirt 2 yards short of the receiver's feet

9th pass - bubble to woodyard, no read, complete, good throw

10th pass - pop pass handoff to woodyard on end around

11th pass - rollout left, incomplete to hickman

12th pass (Iowa) - arguable "trick play", no read, wide open to JD in stride for a touchdown

I mean...

3 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

3fold. 

1) Luke was the best QB in his limited snaps.  Yes it was a small sample size, but what else do we have to go on?  Also you could use that argument for him.  Coming cold off the bench n STILL performed.  Imagine how he would have been in a rhythm.

3) just a gut feeling (but regardless of if he passes the ball well, you got some things guaranteed) Fastest QB, gonna be high energy, gonna bring that spirit n soul.  Even IF he doesn't pass the ball well, it cant be much worse than AM was, and you don't get those 3 traits i mentioned from AM or Vedral, at least not on the level of Luke.

I like all 3 of these guys.

After watching the video of our swing/screen passes shared in another thread...and above:

1) Looked like 2AM threw about half of his swing passes  behind the receivers or their trailing foots. 

2) Luke completed maybe two nice screens just behind our OTs..Which is an easier throw than the swing pass to the sidelines.

3) Vedral appeared to hit ~80% in stride and in the #s. on his 40 or so swing passes.

Adrian seems to be able to make throws that I haven't seen a Husker QB make since Sam Keller (when he was here at ASU).

He also seemed to throw picks when the line gave him too much time...Which really concerns me.

Vedral seemed to be our best option ...at running and swing passes..And at chasing down an opposing lineman returning his shovel pass.

Luke looks very raw....Maybe due to running on too much adrenaline in the short amount of plays he's been in...I expect he'll show the most improvement this next season.

They all seem to have similar speed, but Adrian tended to hesitate last season..Hopefully that will improve with further healing.

I guess a lot depends on what sort of plays we plan to run and maybe opponent's tendencies...Seems like more teams are playing more than just one QB in games lately...I'd almost like to see us play more than one on single plays.

3 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

So, just stating the facts.  I too like his running ability, same as vedral, over AM.  That running style and gameplan, while necessary, put both Luke and vedral on the bench nursing injuries after one game for 2-3 weeks.  Not really a qb or system I think makes it the entire season.  I like Luke and think he could very well be the best qb of the bunch in time, but in his freshman yr to make statement indicating he’s the best by far is a huge leap

1 hour ago, Husker03 said:

To these points, AM looked great with smaller size and limited playbook his first year as well. 

To these points AM also was playing healthy with a much better supporting cast than in 2019.  He also ran the whole offense all game so has a much bigger sample size to analyze.  Some husker fans are the best, trying to run off an actual preseason heisman candidate in favor of their self appointed one with less than 20 pass attempts, 0-1 record as a starter, and 4 games played in.  Gotta love the offseason around here.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

To these points AM also was playing healthy with a much better supporting cast than in 2019.  He also ran the whole offense all game so has a much bigger sample size to analyze.  Some husker fans are the best, trying to run off an actual preseason heisman candidate in favor of their self appointed one with less than 20 pass attempts, 0-1 record as a starter, and 4 games played in.  Gotta love the offseason around here.

I'm like Scott Frost, pot committed to AM. I spent all last season arguing with friends and family that he's exactly the horse I thought he was as a Freshman, he just had a slump year and will bring us offensive riches in 2020 and 2021.. I need to be right about this because I dug my heels in deep. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

Maybe it's cause I only watched 2 games in 2018, so I dont have visuals in my brain of whoever this heisman candidate AM 1.0 was.  I watched every single play last year, and can't figure out why people think AM is good.  He lools like he has talent, Yes, but the decision making and accuracy really hurt us.

1 hour ago, Husker03 said:

I'm like Scott Frost, pot committed to AM. I spent all last season arguing with friends and family that he's exactly the horse I thought he was as a Freshman, he just had a slump year and will bring us offensive riches in 2020 and 2021.. I need to be right about this because I dug my heels in deep. 

I just hope at least one of us is right.

And then there is @HUSKER 37 who thinks Vedral is the best at this point.  Probably was last year.   I'm just going with my gut, got nothing else.  

14 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

Maybe it's cause I only watched 2 games in 2018, so I dont have visuals in my brain of whoever this heisman candidate AM 1.0 was.  I watched every single play last year, and can't figure out why people think AM is good.  He lools like he has talent, Yes, but the decision making and accuracy really hurt us.

I just hope at least one of us is right.

You only watched 2 games from Adrian’s freshman year?  No wonder you don’t think he’s any good. While Adrian had plenty of freshman mistakes, but he had some games where he dazzled out there.  He had big games against Colorado, Minnesota, Ohio State, Illinois, Northwestern, and Iowa to name a few.  You comment that you liked McCaffrey’s play in limited snaps in 2019, well Adrian was just as electric and a leader as the full-time starter in 2018. 

Side point, what kind of Husker fan only watches 2 games of an entire season?  That makes no sense to me. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
24 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You only watched 2 games from Adrian’s freshman year?  No wonder you don’t think he’s any good. While Adrian had plenty of freshman mistakes, but he had some games where he dazzled out there.  He had big games against Colorado, Minnesota, Ohio State, Illinois, Northwestern, and Iowa to name a few. 

Side point, what kind of Husker fan only watches 2 games of an entire season?  That makes no sense to me. 

I mean he was a preseason Heisman candidate, so i figured he must have looked alot better as a Freshman.  

I'm actually surprised also.  It was the first year in maybe 9 or 10 years that i didn't watch almost every game.  Was traveling alot and just had a lot going on.  Was super pumped for the season too and after watching us blow the opener against Colorado (was living in Colorado too) , that just killed me.  And then hearing after the game AM got hurt....and maybe it was too painful, but after getting super drunk and trying to forget about it......well somehow i forgot there were 10 more games, until Iowa came around.  Honestly was busy chasing ladies and chasing the sun traveling, but I'm not really sure how i forgot about it. 

Edit: that reminds me , thats 2 years in a row Colorado has absolutely put a dagger in our spirit to start the year.  Both the game in Lincoln, and the one in Boulder were in our hands.  That was AM's first game as a Husker, and Colorado's dirty play has made it so AM hasn't maybe played 1 game fully healthy ever.  I wonder if that injury has lingered or led to more issues ever since.  f#&% CU.

5 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

I mean he was a preseason Heisman candidate, so i figured he must have looked alot better as a Freshman.  

I'm actually surprised also.  It was the first year in maybe 9 or 10 years that i didn't watch almost every game.  Was traveling alot and just had a lot going on.  Was super pumped for the season too and after watching us blow the opener against Colorado (was living in Colorado too) , that just killed me.  And then hearing after the game AM got hurt....and maybe it was too painful, but after getting super drunk and trying to forget about it......well somehow i forgot there were 10 more games, until Iowa came around.  Honestly was busy chasing ladies and chasing the sun traveling, but I'm not really sure how i forgot about it. 

Nothing wrong with chasing ladies, but I don’t think you can have a fair opinion on Martinez based on only 2019. Everything you liked from McCaffrey did in 4 games, Adrian did it over 10 games. Adrian took a step back in 2019 due to a number of factors, but IMO McCaffrey and Vedral have a lot to do to catch him as the #1 QB. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Nothing wrong with chasing ladies, but I don’t think you can have a fair opinion on Martinez based on only 2019. Everything you liked from McCaffrey did in 4 games, Adrian did it over 10 games. Adrian took a step back in 2019 due to a number of factors, but IMO McCaffrey and Vedral have a lot to do to catch him as the #1 QB. 

Yea i added a post edit.  But now i remember our young star QB getting hurt in his very first game.  And when i saw the replay of how dirty the play was.....just wonder how much that could have led to future injuries, or if he healed from that.  And why do we always lose to the teams we hate the most, even when theyre not very good?