2020 Quarterback Competition

I tend to believe that Adrian fans gave him too much credit for good plays and he did have some scattered thru his frosh year and gave him too many allowances as being just a freshman on his not so good plays.  Understandable as we all wanted badly to believe the hype (frost included).  We could then rationalize how coming as a super soph he’d be something magical!   Didnt happen.  I want to hope he will have a much much better junior season but i camt believe it now until he does it for six games in a row.  

He must run hard and play QB as the veteran that he will then be: no excuses.  If not, I want to give the other QBs a good opportunity.  The job is AM’s to lose and he will have very little time to make mistakes before someone gets a fair chance (several games worth) to show the porential to do more.   Imo.  

2 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

And then there is @HUSKER 37 who thinks Vedral is the best at this point.  Probably was last year.   I'm just going with my gut, got nothing else.  

Maybe the best at what we were doing last season..But I still think 2AM is going to be our best going forward..

Wasn't he Freshman or Offensive B10 player of the week 4 or 5 times his Freshman year?

You should watch our games you missed on youtube during this horrid offseason.

Martinez..... returns after a record-breaking 2018 campaign. The 6-foot-2, 225-pounder set 11 school records after becoming the first true freshman quarterback to start an opener in school history. Martinez completed 224-of-347 passes for 2,617 yards and 17 touchdowns last season, while also rushing for 629 yards and eight TDs on his way to All-Big Ten accolades.

Last season, Martinez ranked 12th nationally and led all freshmen nationally in total offense per game (295.1 ypg, a Nebraska record) while also setting school marks for 300-yard total offense (seven) and 400-yard total offense (three) games. He set freshman records for completions, completion percentage, passing yards, passing touchdowns, total offense and total touchdowns (25) and ranked fourth nationally among all freshmen with 237.9 passing yards per game.

41 minutes ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Maybe the best at what we were doing last season..But I still think 2AM is going to be our best going forward..

Wasn't he Freshman or Offensive B10 player of the week 4 or 5 times his Freshman year?

You should watch our games you missed on youtube during this horrid offseason.

Ok ok...look i will try to be humble.  It goes against my very name on here, and to be honest i created the name very drunk and this whole thing was a joke at first to me.  If i'm gonna take time to post on a message board, i was gonna try to liven it up , at least have a lil fun while in the despair that is Nebraska football.  But that was at first.  Since then, i actually try to share my true opinions.  But i do still like to add some fun to the board.  I mean its not a serious part of life, its a college football message board.  To me the only things in life that matter are the things that are eternal, everything else dies.  And 100 years from now 95% of anything on this earth means nkthing other than wether souls go to heaven or to hell.  

Now that some of you guys bring it up, i do remember the good Martinez from the 2 games i watched in 18', and i will take your word he was like that most of the year.  What the f#&% happened in 19' then? I watched every single play of every single game in 19' and my honest opinion is Martinez cost us alot of games.  This is a sport, so it doesn't mean i dont like him as a person.  I just thought his play at QB was 80% of the time very harmful to our team, and 20% of the time was fair enough.  If he was so good as a freshman, than why was he so bad the entire year (from South Alabama to Iowa), it wasn't like he had a few bad games, he was bad overall throughout the entire year.  

3 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

Ok ok...look i will try to be humble.  It goes against my very name on here, and to be honest i created the name very drunk and this whole thing was a joke at first to me.  If i'm gonna take time to post on a message board, i was gonna try to liven it up , at least have a lil fun while in the despair that is Nebraska football.  But that was at first.  Since then, i actually try to share my true opinions.  But i do still like to add some fun to the board.  I mean its not a serious part of life, its a college football message board.  To me the only things in life that matter are the things that are eternal, everything else dies.  And 100 years from now 95% of anything on this earth means nkthing other than wether souls go to heaven or to hell.  

Now that some of you guys bring it up, i do remember the good Martinez from the 2 games i watched in 18', and i will take your word he was like that most of the year.  What the f#&% happened in 19' then? I watched every single play of every single game in 19' and my honest opinion is Martinez cost us alot of games.  This is a sport, so it doesn't mean i dont like him as a person.  I just thought his play at QB was 80% of the time very harmful to our team, and 20% of the time was fair enough.  If he was so good as a freshman, than why was he so bad the entire year (from South Alabama to Iowa), it wasn't like he had a few bad games, he was bad overall throughout the entire year.  

AM didn’t play as well that is clear.  He was also injured to a far greater extent than many of us gave him credit for.  In addition, he was surrounded by far lesser athletes in yr two than yr one, with a far worse offensive line than the yr prior.  I’m not sure I can name one offense, at any level, where you lose leading rusher, wr, and 3 starting oline and expect to be better.  Add on to that through ‘19 season you lose jd, wandale, Warner, and Washington for some or most of ‘19.

21 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

AM didn’t play as well that is clear.  He was also injured to a far greater extent than many of us gave him credit for.  In addition, he was surrounded by far lesser athletes in yr two than yr one, with a far worse offensive line than the yr prior.  I’m not sure I can name one offense, at any level, where you lose leading rusher, wr, and 3 starting oline and expect to be better.  Add on to that through ‘19 season you lose jd, wandale, Warner, and Washington for some or most of ‘19.

Regardless of what we had/lost.  He was really bad in 19'. All year.  From beginning to end.  What exactly makes you think he will be better....significantly.

1 hour ago, BigPeterJ said:

Regardless of what we had/lost.  He was really bad in 19'. All year.  From beginning to end.  What exactly makes you think he will be better....significantly.

The offense consists of 11 people.  He lost over half of the receiving threat and over 60-70% of the rushing threat plus three oline.  That’s not, yeah whatever type loss.  So why better.  He should be healthier, with an established rb who came on last half of the season, better depth at Rb too.  The wrs should see a huge jump in athleticism and depth should be much better.  Biggest piece is the oline should be much better allowing for players to move into more natural positions.  I believe farniok moves into guard, and Hixson and Wilson get pushed hard by several others for the last guard spot.  Oline should be substantially better allowing AM more time to read, better throwing lanes, and wrs where they should be and not needing to focus in on 1-2 guys.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Landlord said:

no, sorry, that's not true

6 hours ago, Mavric said:

No he wasn't

6 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

The offense consists of 11 people.  He lost over half of the receiving threat and over 60-70% of the rushing threat plus three oline.  That’s not, yeah whatever type loss.  So why better.  He should be healthier, with an established rb who came on last half of the season, better depth at Rb too.  The wrs should see a huge jump in athleticism and depth should be much better.  Biggest piece is the oline should be much better allowing for players to move into more natural positions.  I believe farniok moves into guard, and Hixson and Wilson get pushed hard by several others for the last guard spot.  Oline should be substantially better allowing AM more time to read, better throwing lanes, and wrs where they should be and not needing to focus in on 1-2 guys.  

I disagree.  Regardless of how bad the rest of the offense was, Adrian was as bad as anyone on the offense.  I find it ironic how some people will throw every single offensive player under the bus in order to defend Adrian's bad play.  The offense had many problems, not just AM, but I'm not gonna blame 10 other dudes for the decisions, lack of vision, and bad passing (even on simple screen passes) of our QB.

AM 2.0 was not as good as AM 1.0.  I don't think that is debatable.  BUT, he was injured throughout 2019.  He had a brand new center.  He was without Foster and Farmer on the OL.  No Stan or Oz, an eventually hobbled Wan'dale, a quadrupled covered JD, no deep passing threat, the TE game was MIA, Mo packed in before he was told to pack it in etc......It was the perfect storm of what could go wrong did.

I think that we have a true QB competition this year.  I still think it's AM's to lose, but IMHO, he will not be given the latitude he was last year.  You have Vedral in year 4 or 5 of Frost's system, Luke year 2 etc.....I do not think Frost will hitch his wagon to AM like he did last year.  If AM 1.0 shows up and the skill guys step up (new guys as JD/Wan'dale are known) our O could be very prolific.  I'm still not seeing top 10, but I never saw us going 4-8 and 5-7 either.... 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
11 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

I won't go over every offensive weapon he lost as that's been covered extensively.  One thing that hasn't been mentioned is he was running the entire playbook and he was being asked to think a lot more.  Right or wrong, AM was given a LOT more to think about, including preserving himself.  The kids is a competitor and my money is on him making a big jump back this season for 3 reasons.  He should be completely comfortable with what he is asked to do this season.  He will have a larger, more talented supporting cast of skill players.  Lastly, our coaches can call plays that may put him in harm's way since the QB room is finally talented and deep.  I believe the hesitation we saw last year disappears and he looks much closer to the year 1 guy we saw with many of the rookie mistakes removed.  GBR 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1