HuskerNation1

2020 Quarterback Competition

Just now, nupowr said:

You make a good point but where I am at is I would tell Verduzco to walk today if Kurt Warner came to my door with Mike Martz on his cell and asked for the gig.

Ah yes, let's make Warner responsible for teaching the point guard of an offense that he doesn't know. I get that he has an incredible amount of QB knowledge, but that seems like a bad idea. The jury is still out on Verduzco, but one bad QB year with a lot of mitigating circumstances doesn't completely invalidate his career to this point. And great QBs aren't necessarily great coaches, and at the very least not every great QB is a good fit for every type of offense.

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Damn he coached 1 good QB that did well in a completely different system. Fire Frost and Verduzco and hire Warner quick!! 

Just pointing out that he was coaching (or at least was, can't tell if he still is), since that was the question I quoted. But, yes, let's go full sarcasm. 

3 hours ago, PoloWearingBeaver said:

Speaking of the quarterbacks, Frost won't accept help from a HOF QB.

Hasn't Frost made it clear he's uninterested in his quarterback(s) getting coached or trained from resources outside of the program, or has that changed?

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

Hasn't Frost made it clear he's uninterested in his quarterback(s) getting coached or trained from resources outside of the program, or has that changed?

They allow the Manning camp but no outside private coaches. He could bring Warner in as a consultant/analyst to help out.

20 minutes ago, PoloWearingBeaver said:

They allow the Manning camp but no outside private coaches. He could bring Warner in as a consultant/analyst to help out.

College QBs go to the Manning camp as instructors which is why they allow it - they might get some pointers, but they're really there to help teach and network, not to be privately coached. And they definitely could bring him in, but I doubt Warner wants an official consultant role and I doubt the staff wants to spend time hashing out which things Warner would teach that work with Verduzco.

• Plus1 3

7 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Correct.  Look at pretty much every other top QB in the country and his TD/INt ratio. That is what AMart needs to be at (or whoever the starter is). 

He is and has been turnover prone and many times at costly points in the game.  

And...there's no body else on the offense or factors that play into it....other than "the QB sucks".

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nupowr said:

You make a good point but where I am at is I would tell Verduzco to walk today if Kurt Warner came to my door with Mike Martz on his cell and asked for the gig.

And here we have why fans aren't head coaches.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Remember when Kurt Warner was so good at Quarterbacking that he bagged groceries for a living

And then won 2 mvps and a superbowl...

• Upvote 1

Good players don't always make good coaches.  Knowledge and ability don't mean squat as a coach if you can't effectively train others to have the same.  There is a reason KW isn't a coach somewhere.  Making a snide tweet that possibly creates bad feelings is likely an example of that. 

I just personally can't believe any of our fan base is ready to change any coaching at this point unless Frost calls for it.  The past 10-20 years should have taught us the grass isn't always greener.  

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, deedsker said:

Just pointing out that he was coaching (or at least was, can't tell if he still is), since that was the question I quoted. But, yes, let's go full sarcasm. 

Sorry, if you werent in on the bashing, you were the last one on the comment chain. It's just silly that people think because you were good at something it makes you a good coach.  I'm sure it makes you better than someone with 0 knowledge, but coaching is a skill set on its own and is irrelevant to how good you were at the game. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, nupowr said:

It's crappy on Warner if the staff is 9-3 but not if they are 5-7.  After 2 yr. you've got to prove that you deserve the right to be left alone.

I figure 

6 hours ago, Husker from Kansas said:

Am I the only one who reads that and things it's pretty crappy on Warner to publicly complain about the coaching staff of his sons team. I've been around parents who b*tch and moan about coaches and most of the time it's cancerous and those people are almost unbearable to be around. And it's almost always because their son (in this case a walk-on) isn't the star they think he is

Warner of all people should know development takes time.  Perhaps even some Arena Football and Hy-Vee boot camp may be needed. Bottom line is that some folks need time.

3 hours ago, Enhance said:

Didn’t hear that one.  Is that like the feelings and assumptions by many on this group thinking mccaffrey is light yrs ahead of AM on all of his 20 career attempts?  The same assumption that he will lose to AM regardless of that because somehow AM is “frosts guys” but the other guys frost recruited aren’t “his” guys.  I’m looking forward to the frost quote.