2020 Quarterback Competition

12 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Many of his critics are not impressed with his raw stats last year and they are not good by any reasonable comparative look but the biggest issue for me is more the lack of “it” factor plays.   I understand that his supporting cast was not good.  This hurts him too.  One can look past those things but its hard to point to very many special plays he made something out of nothing for example.  His highlight video would be pretty short so far with “difference maker” kinds of plays. In my opinion Frost’s offense by design requires a very special player as QB - its QB centric essentially and being a basic manager is not enough.  He needs to have and actually use exceptional run skills as well as read and throw with rare accuracy. Being average is not good enough to help the team overcome problems.   Maybe none of our QBs have this “it factor” but until we see it in AM there will be plenty of interest in trying other guys to see what happens.  We are not winning for many reasons and less than stellar QB play is one major one.  

At CFU in 2017, McKenzie Milton definitely had "it".   In 2018, I thought Adrian had "it", but he appeared to have lost "it" in 2019.  McCaffery looked like he might have "it", but the sample size was too small to know for sure.

8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

And...there's no body else on the offense or factors that play into it....other than "the QB sucks".

Are you really trying to tell me that AMart’s turnovers are someone else’s fault?!?   Seriously???   

The kid has potential.  If he took better care of the ball, and had a bit better decision making (which should come since he’s only a soon to be junior) he can a pretty good college QB.  

But currently he is not till he proves otherwise.  Dirant matter how much you try and twist my words, when I never said it’s all on him.  Of course tipped passes by the receiver that causes an INt are not his fault.  But there are just as many if not more INt’s dropped by the defense so things basically even out.  And yes, every single one of his many fumbles are his fault and his fault alone, except for any blindside strip sacks.   

Our other positions have some some definite issues, but stop being such an AMart homer that you blame them for his turnovers.  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I'm a Kurt Warner fan.  But I always tend to look at how a QB got to where he was.  Is he someone that a team built their franchise around?  Did he come in and then the team got better?  Did he get dropped into the right situation (I'm looking at you Tom Brady).  Kurt Warner is was lucky to be a part of the team he was on and got to showcase his talent.  Much better Qbs have not been so lucky

Kurt Warner took the Cardinals to the Super Bowl and darn near won it.  That’s not luck 

• Plus1 3
9 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Ah yes, let's make Warner responsible for teaching the point guard of an offense that he doesn't know. I get that he has an incredible amount of QB knowledge, but that seems like a bad idea. The jury is still out on Verduzco, but one bad QB year with a lot of mitigating circumstances doesn't completely invalidate his career to this point. And great QBs aren't necessarily great coaches, and at the very least not every great QB is a good fit for every type of offense.

2AM really looked well prepared this year right?  Give me a lawn chair and a case of beer and me and 2AM could have duplicated that $#it.  Actually looked better last year.

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Are you really trying to tell me that AMart’s turnovers are someone else’s fault?!?   Seriously???   

The kid has potential.  If he took better care of the ball, and had a bit better decision making (which should come since he’s only a soon to be junior) he can a pretty good college QB.  

But currently he is not till he proves otherwise.  Dirant matter how much you try and twist my words, when I never said it’s all on him.  Of course tipped passes by the receiver that causes an INt are not his fault.  But there are just as many if not more INt’s dropped by the defense so things basically even out.  And yes, every single one of his many fumbles are his fault and his fault alone, except for any blindside strip sacks.   

Our other positions have some some definite issues, but stop being such an AMart homer that you blame them for his turnovers.  

I don’t think anyone on here is a AM homer.  All have acknowledged he took a step back.  I would argue a whole lot more goes into interceptions and missed throws....wrs being where they should when they should be, creating separation, and an oline that provides time and windows to throw in.  Again, was AM good, no, but he went as did much of the offense which was largely paced by an awful oline.  

ive also said, 18 AM was pretty neat for a frosh, hence the heisman hype.....I’ve yet to see that out of any member of the oline.  That might explain why AM gets a little grace and benefit of the doubt with me vs, saying it was all on AM and the oline wasn’t as bad as I saw.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

I don’t think anyone on here is a AM homer.  All have acknowledged he took a step back.  I would argue a whole lot more goes into interceptions and missed throws....wrs being where they should when they should be, creating separation, and an oline that provides time and windows to throw in.  Again, was AM good, no, but he went as did much of the offense which was largely paced by an awful oline.  

ive also said, 18 AM was pretty neat for a frosh, hence the heisman hype.....I’ve yet to see that out of any member of the oline.  That might explain why AM gets a little grace and benefit of the doubt with me vs, saying it was all on AM and the oline wasn’t as bad as I saw.

I get it that the online has not been up to par, but the discussion was on AM’s INT’s. I don’t really care how awful your line is or how much separation the receivers do not get.  Don’t throw the ball into traffic.  

Aside from tipped passes, blind side hits, and miscommunication on routes, a QB’s turnovers are all his fault.  No one else’s no matter how bad the rest of the team is.  Full stop. He controls what he does with the ball.  Having pressure certainly doesn’t help AM, but he also shouldn’t just chuck the ball cause someone is close to his feet.  

it would be like blaming a running backs fumbling problems on a bad o line.  

• Plus1 2
59 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I get it that the online has not been up to par, but the discussion was on AM’s INT’s. I don’t really care how awful your line is or how much separation the receivers do not get.  Don’t throw the ball into traffic.  

Aside from tipped passes, blind side hits, and miscommunication on routes, a QB’s turnovers are all his fault.  No one else’s no matter how bad the rest of the team is.  Full stop. He controls what he does with the ball.  Having pressure certainly doesn’t help AM, but he also shouldn’t just chuck the ball cause someone is close to his feet.  

Ehh... you're painting a fairly wide brush here. You're correct about a number of things, particularly AM's aptitude for throwing into traffic he had no business throwing into. He has to be better than what he was. But, an inconsistent supporting cast can be just as responsible for some turnovers as anything else, even if it's more indirect.

That's not making excuses for AM but it does help explain why certain things happened.

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

does anyone doubt that if 2AM was at Ohio St he would be destroying our Az$ right now with obscene numbers?  Because he would and they would take him in a heartbeat.  I don't know whats up but our team has had the life sucked out of it for what seems like ever.

• Plus1 3

Throwing into traffic is something most QBs have to do.  AM is a competitive guy who forced some balls that maybe he shouldn't have.  That isn't uncommon, even among the best to ever play at the college level.  Here is a recent ESPN quote on Joe Burrows;

“Well also, not just his accuracy, but his willingness to throw balls into traffic knowing that he has the faith in those wide receivers – (Justin) Jefferson, (Ja’Marr) Chase, (Thaddeus) Moss, all of them being able to catch the football,” Leaf said. “And they do. If you look at all the catches against Oklahoma, a ton of them were contested. Some of them, he just kind of threw up there. He has so much belief in his receivers to make plays, and they do, which builds his completion percentage.”

A QBs stats are not on an island but rather a reflection of the offense as a whole.

AM will be a much better QB this year if his supporting cast performs as projected.  GBR

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Kurt Warner took the Cardinals to the Super Bowl and darn near won it.  That’s not luck 

Didn't he get a shot with the Rams because someone got hurt??  I would say that was luck.  He had a couple very good receivers and a hof rb.  Then he goes to the cards and gets to throw the ball to Larry Fitz. Who catches anything you get close to him.  Like I said I'm a Kurt Warner fan but he had two pretty good situations.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Didn't he get a shot with the Rams because someone got hurt??  I would say that was luck.  He had a couple very good receivers and a hof rb.  Then he goes to the cards and gets to throw the ball to Larry Fitz. Who catches anything you get close to him.  Like I said I'm a Kurt Warner fan but he had two pretty good situations.

Trent Green was injured with a torn ACL during preseason.  It's crazy because he could have easily been the one throwing the ball all over the field in those seasons with the Rams.  Not taking anything away from Warner because he was a very accurate passer and took a lot of punishment getting hit in the pocket.

28 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

So I guess we can also say Lou Gehrig was good because he was lucky.  Played because of an injury and had hall of famers all around him.  

A certain amount of luck encompasses anyones career, it’s what you do with that opportunity and how well prepared they are at the time.  By your standards pretty much every successful player was lucky.  Avoiding a wrong turn on their knee, getting seen by a certain coach at the right time, being born with god given talent, etc..Some bust their tails and take advantage of it and others coast through life and don’t live up to potential.  Kurt Warner made the most of every opportunity. 

• Plus1 1