2020 Quarterback Competition

1 hour ago, nupowr said:

does anyone doubt that if 2AM was at Ohio St he would be destroying our Az$ right now with obscene numbers?  Because he would and they would take him in a heartbeat.  I don't know whats up but our team has had the life sucked out of it for what seems like ever.

I doubt it because he wouldn’t even see the field except for mop up duty.  No way he’s beating out Justin Fields last year or this coming year. Nothing against AM on this, he’s just nowhere near as good as Fields.  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, nupowr said:

does anyone doubt that if 2AM was at Ohio St he would be destroying our Az$ right now with obscene numbers?  Because he would and they would take him in a heartbeat.  I don't know whats up but our team has had the life sucked out of it for what seems like ever.

It begins and ends up front of both sides of the ball.  We haven’t had a dominate oline dline for 15 yrs.  it’s been both a development and recruiting up issue.  I believe Austin is the right guy and we are starting to recruit kids to the system.  Same could be said about LSU, swap burrow with AM, AM there burrow here.  This isn’t an AM issue as much as some want to believe.  It’s a very simplistic narrow take.

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

So I guess we can also say Lou Gehrig was good because he was lucky.  Played because of an injury and had hall of famers all around him.  

A certain amount of luck encompasses anyones career, it’s what you do with that opportunity and how well prepared they are at the time.  By your standards pretty much every successful player was lucky.  Avoiding a wrong turn on their knee, getting seen by a certain coach at the right time, being born with god given talent, etc..Some bust their tails and take advantage of it and others coast through life and don’t live up to potential.  Kurt Warner made the most of every opportunity. 

Um no.  First of your scenario doesn't work.  My ability to hit a fastball or field ground balls or catch pop flies has nothing to do with my teamate next to me.  Football on the other hand is as close to a true team sport as you can get.  Besides defenders who can still churn out good years while playing on crappy teams.  Would Kurt Warner do as well if he played for the browns?? History would probably say no.  As a QB i could he the most accurate passer and have a rocket arm but if I don't have anyone to throw to or time to do it I'm not going to look as good.  So yes Kurt Warner had some luck getting to play for the Rams who were going to be a pretty good team regardless if Warner played for them or not

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

I doubt it because he wouldn’t even see the field except for mop up duty.  No way he’s beating out Justin Fields last year or this coming year. Nothing against AM on this, he’s just nowhere near as good as Fields.  

Right, the point is if somehow AM was the starter at OSU (not that he beats out Fields) he would easily be all-conference as well. Not to take anything away from Fields, he's clearly better. But a lot of guys would look really good at OSU. 

And do we really care how much of Warner's success was luck vs. skill? I don't see a strong correlation between how good/not good someone is as a player and how good/not good they are as a coach. And it's really not even about whether Warner is a good coach or not, I have no issue with Frost and Co. keeping the QB training in house.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Um no.  First of your scenario doesn't work.  My ability to hit a fastball or field ground balls or catch pop flies has nothing to do with my teamate next to me.  Football on the other hand is as close to a true team sport as you can get.  Besides defenders who can still churn out good years while playing on crappy teams.  Would Kurt Warner do as well if he played for the browns?? History would probably say no.  As a QB i could he the most accurate passer and have a rocket arm but if I don't have anyone to throw to or time to do it I'm not going to look as good.  So yes Kurt Warner had some luck getting to play for the Rams who were going to be a pretty good team regardless if Warner played for them or not

Actually your ability to hit fast balls could slightly depend on your teammates, because if those hitting around you stink, then you will not be getting fastballs to hit.   Breaking balls and chasing fastballs and just pitch to the next guy.  

So how bout this.  Tom Brady must be the luckiest guy in the world.  Drew gets hurt for an extended period so Brady steps in.  Gets to play for one of the best owners and coaches in the history of the game.  

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Actually your ability to hit fast balls could slightly depend on your teammates, because if those hitting around you stink, then you will not be getting fastballs to hit.   Breaking balls and chasing fastballs and just pitch to the next guy.  

So how bout this.  Tom Brady must be the luckiest guy in the world.  Drew gets hurt for an extended period so Brady steps in.  Gets to play for one of the best owners and coaches in the history of the game.  

Exactly

The depth at qb is as good as i can remember.  I’m not sure we’ve ever had 4 guys on campus like this before.  Instead of throwing shade at any of them you should just be thanking frost and co for actually recruiting.  A new idea that was totally trashed over 20+ yrs by several unl coaches and staffs.  Now time for development and learning the system, if you’re not excited to see what this group can do you don’t have blood flowing through your veins.

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

The best attribute about Luke is the ability to keep moving towards the LOS while keeping the threat of still throwing. AM just needs to play faster. Too slow of reads etc. Can be special again if he does that this year. 

That's an unfortunate best attribute when our offense consists of maybe 5% rollouts?

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for McCaffrey and the QBs as a whole. But people are drawing some big conclusions from a small sample size of plays they chose specifically for him last year.

And I think we have good depth at QB, but you really don't know at QB until it's needed. We have 2 four stars (Martinez and Smothers), a highly athletic 3 star who is raw but has a lot of talent (McCaffrey), and a walk-on with some game experience (Vedral). Most of the past few years we've had multiple 4 stars, another guy (transfers like Lee, upside guys like Bush) and a walk-on who has played some. Hopefully these guys turn out differently than O'Brien, Gebbia, Stanton, Green, etc - but let's not pretend we know we have depth. We have talent there, but very little has been proven so far.

• Thanks 2
9 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

That's an unfortunate best attribute when our offense consists of maybe 5% rollouts?

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for McCaffrey and the QBs as a whole. But people are drawing some big conclusions from a small sample size of plays they chose specifically for him last year.

And I think we have good depth at QB, but you really don't know at QB until it's needed. We have 2 four stars (Martinez and Smothers), a highly athletic 3 star who is raw but has a lot of talent (McCaffrey), and a walk-on with some game experience (Vedral). Most of the past few years we've had multiple 4 stars, another guy (transfers like Lee, upside guys like Bush) and a walk-on who has played some. Hopefully these guys turn out differently than O'Brien, Gebbia, Stanton, Green, etc - but let's not pretend we know we have depth. We have talent there, but very little has been proven so far.

That doesn't mean he isn't good at other things. Keeping the pass/throw option open is hard and for a true fresh he did a great job of keeping his eyes downfield, processing whether to take off or throw it. It's not easy to do and doesnt have to be just on rollouts. We have better depth than last year but overall we are very young there still. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, LumberJackSker said:

That article is from august 2019 lets see what his odds are before this season.

Just for reference until they're updated later this year:

30-1 here: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2020-heisman-trophy-odds-trevor-lawrence-justin-fields-favored-but-are-they-the-best-bets/

+2500 (opened +1200) here: https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/heisman-odds-2020-by-player-for-2020-college-football-season-01dyjff5dcam

+5000 here: https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/college-football/heisman-trophy-odds/

30-1: