2020 Quarterback Competition

44 minutes ago, Landlord said:

like 3 times

way more times than that. doesn't have to be a pass play. he does a good job of keeping space on option plays as well and sneaking in those 10 yard runs. i get overall is a small sample size but you can tell he's got it 

• Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

way more times than that. doesn't have to be a pass play. he does a good job of keeping space on option plays as well and sneaking in those 10 yard runs. i get overall is a small sample size but you can tell he's got it 

What is “it”?  You must be a super bowl gm if you can watch ~15 pass attempts and immediately tell he’s 1) way better than anyone else we have 2) should absolutely be the starter 3) has “it”

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

What is “it”?  You must be a super bowl gm if you can watch ~15 pass attempts and immediately tell he’s 1) way better than anyone else we have 2) should absolutely be the starter 3) has “it”

I think most whose opinion is we need to try a differemt QB is not so much a matter of feeling Luke or Noah or somebody else has “it” as much as saying we have seen lots of Adrian and havent seen “it” from him enough.  We have been losing more than enough with AM so lets try something else.  

I am not sure at this point but quite a few others see it this way.  Maybe a change in personnel as well as staff and scheme could help?  

• Fire 1

I don't recall the specific games when AM was out last season (I think it was 2), but Noah and Luke did "look better".  They also had pretty gaudy completion percentages.  The tempo appeared faster. They played (to my unskilled eye) with less "window dressing" and more "line up" and go.  ie simpler.  Perhaps it had something to do with a more simplified play book.  Maybe the "full" playbook was too much for AM and in reality Noah and Luke (Noah probably has the most complete grasp).  Maybe Frost and Lubick will  look at what worked and really focus on those plays and running those "few" plays via multiple sets and looks.  Kind of like another guy that did all right with "limited" plays run from a lot of different looks/formations.  Complexity in the simplicity.  Regardless, this is the most loaded QB room I can remember at NU (on paper/potential).

• Plus1 1

15 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

1) I never said he was way better than anyone else we have

2) I never said he should absolutely be the starter

1 hour ago, lo country said:

I don't recall the specific games when AM was out last season (I think it was 2), but Noah and Luke did "look better".  They also had pretty gaudy completion percentages.  The tempo appeared faster. They played (to my unskilled eye) with less "window dressing" and more "line up" and go.  ie simpler.  Perhaps it had something to do with a more simplified play book.  Maybe the "full" playbook was too much for AM and in reality Noah and Luke (Noah probably has the most complete grasp).  Maybe Frost and Lubick will  look at what worked and really focus on those plays and running those "few" plays via multiple sets and looks.  Kind of like another guy that did all right with "limited" plays run from a lot of different looks/formations.  Complexity in the simplicity.  Regardless, this is the most loaded QB room I can remember at NU (on paper/potential).

So let me get this straight, vedral looked soooo much better the game he started we scored.....7 pts, in mop up time, and he wasn’t in at that time cuz he was hurt.  Oh, and the type of offense we had to run with him earned him ~2-3 weeks nursing injuries.  Luke started one game, looked better than vedral, still lost, and yes the style of offense we were forced to run earned him ~2-3 weeks nursing injuries.  Not really sustainable over the course of a season, you think.  But he’s got “it” so who cares throw him in there, he’s really the next Joe Montana with that “it” thing going on.

• Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

But he’s got “it” and the rest of them don’t.  Don’t we want the guy with “it” playing.  God I wish I had “it”.  Wait, what is “it”?

Then watch some more film. He's got a great feel for the game in HS and for what he was thrown into for college so far. Doesn't hurt you come from one of the best football familes ever. Dad is a HOF WR, brother is going to be a HOF RB, and your other brother will start for Michigan at QB who could be a top 10 team next season. The coaches said right away that he picked up the playbook really well and even knew multiple positions. He's a good kid with good leadership qualities the team gravitates towards. 

• Thanks 1

Martinez and Vedral had practically the same passer rating. McCaffrey had 12 pass attempts and at least half of those were 1 route or pull it down and run it type plays. As I said in another thread, it will be funny to see opinions change when Martinez is lighting it up early this fall. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

5 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Then watch some more film. He's got a great feel for the game in HS and for what he was thrown into for college so far. Doesn't hurt you come from one of the best football familes ever. Dad is a HOF WR, brother is going to be a HOF RB, and your other brother will start for Michigan at QB who could be a top 10 team next season. The coaches said right away that he picked up the playbook really well and even knew multiple positions. He's a good kid with good leadership qualities the team gravitates towards. 

Didn’t say he wasn’t a good kid.  In fact I’ve said I really like all 4 qbs we have and am excited about the development and upside if all of them.  I’ve watched plenty of film, the point is the most lazy fan favorite is always the backup qb.  He’s thrown ~15 passes, pump the brakes a bit.  I’ve said AM didn’t have a good soph yr, multiple reasons for that, but remember he was being discussed as a heisman candidate preseason.  He obviously didn’t live up to that, again for multiple reasons, but he’s got the skill set he flashed his freshman yr, it didn’t disappear like a fart in the wind.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
11 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

So let me get this straight, vedral looked soooo much better the game he started we scored.....7 pts, in mop up time, and he wasn’t in at that time cuz he was hurt.  Oh, and the type of offense we had to run with him earned him ~2-3 weeks nursing injuries.  Luke started one game, looked better than vedral, still lost, and yes the style of offense we were forced to run earned him ~2-3 weeks nursing injuries.  Not really sustainable over the course of a season, you think.  But he’s got “it” so who cares throw him in there, he’s really the next Joe Montana with that “it” thing going on.

Really?  Argue about the injuries?  Where did I mention that?  If we are doing that, AM played ALL YEAR INJURED......The style of O we ran with AM had him nursing injuries for 12 plus weeks....See how that works....

Noahs 2 games 34 for 52 with 65% completion percentage 8 yrds/attempt....Not too bad......

Luke 9-12 75% 11.8/attempt...Again not too bad.  

So statistically speaking (albeit a small sample) whatever O we ran with Noah and Luke looked pretty good.....And the O we ran with AM? He ended up injured both seasons......Not really sustainable over the course of a season Huh?.....And the loss posted by the back ups was eclipsed by AM's winning record.  News flash, he has a losing record as well...........And which QB did I say had "it"?  Huh?......

Verduzco is/was also very high on Luke giving him a lot of accolades.......Frost thinks he is ok also...

https://www.theindependent.com/sports/college/huskers_hq/luke-mccaffrey-does-it-all-for-huskers/article_069e29cc-1091-11ea-88e9-bf8eb4ab01d4.html

Noah has a great grasp of the system. He looked crisp in his play and ran a great up tempo O when he was in....

So what was your point again?

• Plus1 1

This is an absolute no-win situation for Adrian. If he does win the competition, a small but loud portion of the fanbase (and this board) will scream that it was rigged, that Frost is just playing "his boy", and will wait with bated breath until something happens to him so that McCaffery will get to play. If he doesn't win the competition, then he loses his job. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
23 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

This is an absolute no-win situation for Adrian. If he does win the competition, a small but loud portion of the fanbase (and this board) will scream that it was rigged, that Frost is just playing "his boy", and will wait with bated breath until something happens to him so that McCaffery will get to play. If he doesn't win the competition, then he loses his job. 

I think Frost is past the point of "playing his guy". I do see your point though.  RUMORS-on another board- alluded to Frost continuing to allow Mo to play despite numerous issues and other players were dinged (sat) for lesser mistakes....JUST A RUMOR, but I think Frost is learning a lot about flipping culture, getting the right guys etc....

• Fire 1
29 minutes ago, lo country said:

I think Frost is past the point of "playing his guy". I do see your point though.  RUMORS-on another board- alluded to Frost continuing to allow Mo to play despite numerous issues and other players were dinged (sat) for lesser mistakes....JUST A RUMOR, but I think Frost is learning a lot about flipping culture, getting the right guys etc....

Frost has talked about fixing the culture issues since day 1 almost.  Hopefully he is not just now learning about fixing (flopping was your word?) the culture after this

long.   

I think one of the biggest challenges in coaching today is got to be finding ways to motivate the players to try harder and work

harder.  I think this can explain the mass exodus of guys - Riley and Frost recruits alike - as about half the recruits quit for lack of heart & desire and drive.  For some football is too much just a hobby or recreational deal and not taken seriously.  This is my opinion as an outsider looking in anyway.  We need the revolving door so we can bring em in, try em and release em until we finally get a full complement of 3 deep Big Ten contender level guys.  

Call it “catch & release” recruiting like Frost fishing.  Fish long enough and you get your limit of keepers.  

• Plus1 1