HuskerNation1

2020 Quarterback Competition

11 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I just can't stress how much I disagree with this. Luke and Logan both look like studs, but we've seen very little from Luke and nothing from Logan. Martinez didn't have his best year last year, but he had a great freshman year and still had more great moments last year than critics are willing to remember.

And maybe he does have favorites, but I don't know why we're jumping to that conclusion when it's quite possible the guys he's playing are just the best players.

Assuming we play this fall as scheduled:

?   How many wins do you expect with Adrian starting all year

?   How many fewer with Luke?

?   How many with Vedral?

I feel the best case scenario with any of the three is 7 wins.  5 or 6 is more likely.  We may be slightly better with Adrain but its not worth using a year of eligibility for all three with very little net result change.  

Save Adrian a year to heal and get better. 

Play Luke and Noah to get experience and get better.  
Then next year - let them duke it out and see who wins the job!

If Adrian quits so be it.   Why should he get a guarantee?

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Assuming we play this fall as scheduled:

?   How many wins do you expect with Adrian starting all year

?   How many fewer with Luke?

?   How many with Vedral?

I feel the best case scenario with any of the three is 7 wins.  5 or 6 is more likely.  We may be slightly better with Adrain but its not worth using a year of eligibility for all three with very little net result change.  

Save Adrian a year to heal and get better. 

Play Luke and Noah to get experience and get better.  
Then next year - let them duke it out and see who wins the job!

If Adrian quits so be it.   Why should he get a guarantee?

7-8 with Adrian, and I think it's much more likely we go 5-7 with the others. But we really don't know, haven't seen a lot of them. I don't think Adrian is hurt any more, and I do think he's currently the best QB on the roster. I'm not even saying give him a guarantee, but you don't redshirt your top QB. Just let them duke it out this year and play the best guy, why hold off and make the team worse?

If you listen to guys who have to redshirt or sit out a year (like Deontai), they hate it. It sucks not being out there. You don't make a starter do it just to have an extra year when he is presumably healthy again. We can build for the future without throwing in the towel on this year, it's year 3. There's a little depth now - the time for "redshirting everyone possible was years 1 and 2 and the staff did for the most part.

10 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

7-8 with Adrian, and I think it's much more likely we go 5-7 with the others. But we really don't know, haven't seen a lot of them. I don't think Adrian is hurt any more, and I do think he's currently the best QB on the roster. I'm not even saying give him a guarantee, but you don't redshirt your top QB. Just let them duke it out this year and play the best guy, why hold off and make the team worse?

If you listen to guys who have to redshirt or sit out a year (like Deontai), they hate it. It sucks not being out there. You don't make a starter do it just to have an extra year when he is presumably healthy again. We can build for the future without throwing in the towel on this year, it's year 3. There's a little depth now - the time for "redshirting everyone possible was years 1 and 2 and the staff did for the most part.

I agree but we failed to play the younger guys last year enough yo be ready for year 3.  And year 3 is now screwed by the shutdown of spring   and maybe fall.  

we failed to use the first two years to build experience and develop juniors and seniors for year 3 (most are gone) do that effectively makes year three a rebuild year too.  

I hate it but things just havent gone right so a three year became a five year grind.  

The cupboard was almost bare and too many guys didnt work out, quit/left, etc.  

We need a real O line this year and its doubtful.  Adrain will get better snaps but more time?  Better receivers?  Better RBs ?   Better TEs?   All very shaky as we remain young and inexperienced / unproven at best.  

Frost RB and WR recruits have not been all that special except Wandale as a wingback.  Losing JD hurts too.  

By 2021 these youngsters will have some time to grow up and get better.  you need juniors ans seniors starting.  We have few and few frosh / sophs with time last year.  

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I agree but we failed to play the younger guys last year enough yo be ready for year 3.  And year 3 is now screwed by the shutdown of spring   and maybe fall.  

we failed to use the first two years to build experience and develop juniors and seniors for year 3 (most are gone) do that effectively makes year three a rebuild year too.  

I hate it but things just havent gone right so a three year became a five year grind.  

The cupboard was almost bare and too many guys didnt work out, quit/left, etc.  

We need a real O line this year and its doubtful.  Adrain will get better snaps but more time?  Better receivers?  Better RBs ?   Better TEs?   All very shaky as we remain young and inexperienced / unproven at best.  

Frost RB and WR recruits have not been all that special except Wandale as a wingback.  Losing JD hurts too.  

By 2021 these youngsters will have some time to grow up and get better.  you need juniors ans seniors starting.  We have few and few frosh / sophs with time last year.  

I'm cautiously optimistic. All those things you mentioned were on offense, and in my opinion the oline and Mills were playing pretty well by the end of the year. Skill positions were shaky for sure overall, and I really hope JD comes back (not super optimistic there though), but at least we've got some dudes now. Definitely unproven, but last year there was also just a lack of talent and this year that's not the case.

Overall to the bolded, I think the answer is yes to all of those. I don't think we have a single receiver better than JD last year if he leaves, but give me Wan'Dale and Manning/Betts/Alante Brown/Warner/Fleming/Nixon over freshman Wan'Dale and Noa/Woodyard/Williams any day. RBs are the same (with some freshman reinforcements), TEs the same and adding Vokolek. I've convinced myself there has to be some improvement from the returners, or better athletes able to replace them. Who knows though.

It almost hurt to read the last 2 pages...  Adrian Martinez is in the top 10 (or 15 in some books) odds to win the Heisman.  Last year, with injuries, inconsistent line play, limited wide receiver talent, a run game that was inconsistent, etc, he completed just under 60% of his passes.  Of course he didn't play great at times.  His play was a reflection of all the things wrong around him.  I'm excited for the future.  I think Adrian will have a great 2020, and 2021 season and then Luke will have 2 full years to start as long as a young Smothers doesn't pass him up.  Losing Vedral isn't even a blip on the radar.  I honestly hope he makes a good transfer choice and has a great finish to his career.   

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Vedral came here for the chance to work more with Frost/Verduzco.  He was never going to be QB1 unless there were major injuries.  He got to see the field some and learned a lot.  He is a really smart guy and knows he isn't going to see the field unless AM and LM go down to injury.  He can also see that he would likely be 4th on the depth chart next year.  It's the perfect time for him to transfer.  Add to that the closures from the virus so wherever he goes he won't be behind for the current season.  I thought most expected this move.  I'm hoping he goes to Wyoming.  The Cowboys currently have a RS/SO and a true Freshman on the depth chart and their projected starter only had 95 passes last year with a 51.6% completion and 1TD to 4 INT.  I think Vedral would be a massive upgrade for them and he would get to stay fairly close to home.  Wish him the best of luck!

Woo, yes!

5 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I don't think we have a single receiver better than JD last year if he leaves, but give me Wan'Dale and Manning/Betts/Alante Brown/Warner/Fleming/Nixon over freshman Wan'Dale and Noa/Woodyard/Williams any day. RBs are the same (with some freshman reinforcements), TEs the same and adding Vokolek.

I think you oversell JD a bit. I've said 100 times, I truly love the kid.. He isn't a game changing #1 or even #2 receiver. I hope he's back, he is literally one of my favorite players of all time. But I mostly hope he's back so he can have some success with a decent team, not because I think we are sunk w/o him. 

Idk if anyone has said this or not, but there is no way Adrians attitude this year won’t be different than it was last year. He’ll come back more focused and driven, and probably the healthiest he’s been since he got here since his body will have had a ton of time to rest and recover. Last year he was considered a big deal and was in the talking of a heisman trophy caliber season. That’s a ton of expectation on a true sophomore. And then when the team around him was so shaky, especially his offensive line, he was bound to struggle. He’s been through a lot more now and should have the mental maturity to come in focused and ready to lead. It’s easy to forget that as a freshman nobody looked to him to be the true team leader as Farmer and other guys like that were there and we’re excited about what the future has in store. We missed that last year, hell we didn’t have any real leadership or team chemistry. I expect that to be different this year

• Plus1 2

AM was pretty good against it but many of those are the middle of the field plays where our receivers took the biggest hits.  JD was pretty good at finding the holes in the zones but man did he pay the price for it sometimes.  Hopefully we find balance with the added talent at receiver this year.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

AM was pretty good against it but many of those are the middle of the field plays where our receivers took the biggest hits.  JD was pretty good at finding the holes in the zones but man did he pay the price for it sometimes.  Hopefully we find balance with the added talent at receiver this year.

I think we will, bri going in two receivers tgat can take the top off of the defense forces those safeties to actually cover they’re deep haves which in turn opens up the middle. If linebackers vacate due to a blitz or a run read then the quick slant or sit down could be there. If not then the skinny post right behind them could be there. 

3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

The cover 2 requires throws deep down the middle, and sometimes they need to be thrown a little higher to get over the MLB dropping into coverage.  Yes, the throws against Illinois were high, but they were put where his receiver could go up and get it.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The cover 2 requires throws deep down the middle, and sometimes they need to be thrown a little higher to get over the MLB dropping into coverage.  Yes, the throws against Illinois were high, but they were put where his receiver could go up and get it.

I agree, not being critical of AM.  The safeties, as mentioned previously, just didn't have to respect the deep ball so they punished JD for those catches.

• Plus1 1

The loss of JD definitely hurts but having Wandale back at duck-r and Warner healthy to provide reliable possession work should help. If Manning and Betts are as good as the hype we should have a nice group with increased production. Hopefully a couple guys establish themselves as deep threats, when defenses don't have to respect the long ball it makes everything harder. 

17 minutes ago, Danimal said:

The loss of JD definitely hurts but having Wandale back at duck-r and Warner healthy to provide reliable possession work should help. If Manning and Betts are as good as the hype we should have a nice group with increased production. Hopefully a couple guys establish themselves as deep threats, when defenses don't have to respect the long ball it makes everything harder. 

That and then hopefully they’ll help a ton in the RZ. Writers have mentioned that’s the one area the offensive staff has been irate about through the spring and fall camps the last two years. And then we’ve been pretty bad in the RZ once the season rolls around which probably shouldn’t have been a surprise given the camp reports.

Betts and Manning should change that issue by themselves.