Jump to content
HuskerNation1

2020 Quarterback Competition

Recommended Posts


4 hours ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

I would certainly hope our offense is better this year. It took a step back in like every metric from the 2018 season.

I agree.  Losing JD (if gone) will hurt.  People crazy to say it won't impact NU if he's out.  We have the entire OL back, Wan'dale, a healthy AM, Vokolek at TE, a ton of potential OL talent, two potential game changing receivers etc.....And Austin as the running game coordinator.  I continue to beat the drum of liking to see Luke used like Taysom Hill. That'd be a nightmare for opposing DC's....I think that'd go a long way into getting him meaningful snaps/experience and keep him happy (not that he isn't).

 

Defense, I see some issues....Sipple mentioned a comment that Chin made about the DL would have some big shoes to fill...Sip was concerned with this comment as the shoes to fill were almost deadlast against the run (4.8 ypc) in the B1G and the towards the bottom in FBS...But that's another thread.

 

To the OP, I really believe there is no competition.  The job is AM's to lose.  BUT if he struggles, I think Luke gets a shot. Losing Noah makes it interesting in the decision making though.  How ready will Smothers be to go from #3 to #2 if AM goes down and Luke starts......We had all 3 injured last year......

  • Plus1 2

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, Danimal said:

The loss of JD definitely hurts but having Wandale back at duck-r and Warner healthy to provide reliable possession work should help. If Manning and Betts are as good as the hype we should have a nice group with increased production. Hopefully a couple guys establish themselves as deep threats, when defenses don't have to respect the long ball it makes everything harder. 

Manning/Betts as the big body  guys, Vokolek at TE, Warner in the Westy/Nate Swift role and Wan'dale as the slot (duck R) gives us a lot of options we haven't had...Maybe ever at NU.  OF COURSE, this is all based on "potential" of Mannung/Betts/Vokolek.......The fact we will finally have receivers over 6' has got to be worth at least 2 wins.....:D

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, lo country said:

I agree.  Losing JD (if gone) will hurt.  People crazy to say it won't impact NU if he's out.  We have the entire OL back, Wan'dale, a healthy AM, Vokolek at TE, a ton of potential OL talent, two potential game changing receivers etc.....And Austin as the running game coordinator.  I continue to beat the drum of liking to see Luke used like Taysom Hill. That'd be a nightmare for opposing DC's....I think that'd go a long way into getting him meaningful snaps/experience and keep him happy (not that he isn't).

 

Defense, I see some issues....Sipple mentioned a comment that Chin made about the DL would have some big shoes to fill...Sip was concerned with this comment as the shoes to fill were almost deadlast against the run (4.8 ypc) in the B1G and the towards the bottom in FBS...But that's another thread.

 

To the OP, I really believe there is no competition.  The job is AM's to lose.  BUT if he struggles, I think Luke gets a shot. Losing Noah makes it interesting in the decision making though.  How ready will Smothers be to go from #3 to #2 if AM goes down and Luke starts......We had all 3 injured last year......

I think the DL has a chance to be pretty good.  I look for Ty Robinson to be ready to be a force.

 

Something tells me that YPC is going to drop this season, and Mauga-Clements will be a reason why.

 

The dude is a tackling machine.

  • Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I think the DL has a chance to be pretty good.  I look for Ty Robinson to be ready to be a force.

 

Something tells me that YPC is going to drop this season, and Mauga-Clements will be a reason why.

 

The dude is a tackling machine.

I agree that the guys starting have more "potential", but they are young.  Really hoping that we get a full season this year (practice and 12 games).  Saw and article Moos hopes we get all 12, but might be a shorter season starting towards the end of Sept.  As an off season article mentioned, NU lost over 30 additional practoves missing bowl games.  Can ill afford to lose anymore this season.  In the article by Sip on the D, Chin did mention simplifying the D this year. I am unsure what that means.  Calls, check downs, coverage, responsibilities etc...Simple doesn't alway mean easier or better, but it does appear to be a tweak.  Maybe the new D consultants will help with this.  

 

As you mentioned, a LB who can get the correct run fits, not over pursue or make the wrong reads will be huge.....

 

I still think we are a year or 2 away from seeing what we really have.  We need to get the depth where we are not replacing all 3 starters on the DL, or safety, or RB etc....That is going to take time.  

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post

JD is a loss no matter how you look at it - however we have guys that can be similar to him.  It will only be a major factor if we have season long injuries.  This will be the first year where we have 5 RB/WR/TE that can do different things.  IF AM and the OL show up good things will happen.

 

The D has a lot of questions but that may not be a bad thing - just give the O the ball once or twice a game and make a few stops.

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, lo country said:

I agree that the guys starting have more "potential", but they are young.  Really hoping that we get a full season this year (practice and 12 games).  Saw and article Moos hopes we get all 12, but might be a shorter season starting towards the end of Sept.  As an off season article mentioned, NU lost over 30 additional practoves missing bowl games.  Can ill afford to lose anymore this season.  In the article by Sip on the D, Chin did mention simplifying the D this year. I am unsure what that means.  Calls, check downs, coverage, responsibilities etc...Simple doesn't alway mean easier or better, but it does appear to be a tweak.  Maybe the new D consultants will help with this.  

 

As you mentioned, a LB who can get the correct run fits, not over pursue or make the wrong reads will be huge.....

 

I still think we are a year or 2 away from seeing what we really have.  We need to get the depth where we are not replacing all 3 starters on the DL, or safety, or RB etc....That is going to take time.  

The D line will be fine.

 

We need a linebacker to have in the 130 to 150 tackles range....which is where names such as Barrett Ruud, Demorrio Williams and LaVonte David ranked.

 

Mo Barry had 89 last season.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, TheSker said:

The D line will be fine.

 

We need a linebacker to have in the 130 to 150 tackles range....which is where names such as Barrett Ruud, Demorrio Williams and LaVonte David ranked.

 

Mo Barry had 89 last season.

Was hoping that JoJo would have been used similar to Super D....

 

As far as needing play like Ruud, David or Super D those are 3 of  best LB's to play at NU......Anyone would want a LB to play lke them...

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, lo country said:

Was hoping that JoJo would have been used similar to Super D....

 

As far as needing play like Ruud, David or Super D those are 3 of  best LB's to play at NU......Anyone would want a LB to play lke them...

Domann isn't always assignment fit.

 

Ironically "3 of best LB's" have a head coach in common ......

 

You don't think Barry had the opportunity to have 125+ tackles in Chinander's system?  Cuz I do.....

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, TheSker said:

Domann isn't always assignment fit.

 

Ironically "3 of best LB's" have a head coach in common ......

 

You don't think Barry had the opportunity to have 125+ tackles in Chinander's system?  Cuz I do.....

That common coach is Bo.  Not sure what he has to do with this.  He also coached Suh.....Ruud gives him credit for turning him into the LB he was.  We have a coach he taught as a player that has yet to have the ILB position excel.........Frost was also coached by TO........

 

JoJo isn't always correct, but he makes mistakes 100 MPH which is better than some of the players....So if guys in year 2 as a starter are still making the same mistakes, whose fault is that?  TBH, not really sure why Ruud's name has never come up for a guy not coaching up to expectations/pedigree/ability/insert word choice here....

  • Plus1 1

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, lo country said:

That common coach is Bo.  Not sure what he has to do with this.  He also coached Suh.....Ruud gives him credit for turning him into the LB he was.  We have a coach he taught as a player that has yet to have the ILB position excel.........Frost was also coached by TO........

 

JoJo isn't always correct, but he makes mistakes 100 MPH which is better than some of the players....So if guys in year 2 as a starter are still making the same mistakes, whose fault is that?  TBH, not really sure why Ruud's name has never come up for a guy not coaching up to expectations/pedigree/ability/insert word choice here....

Ruud's name has come up in that way.

 

Hopefully one or more of Heinrich, Hannah, and Mauga-Clements is ready to make some noise.  My bet is Mauga-Clements....

 

And I think the staff is high on what Gunnerson can do at OLB.

Share this post


Link to post

Ruud is not the problem with the LB group’s lack of production imo. The group has lacked speed and some size and general toughness as demonstrated by their play thus far but I tend to also feel scheme and staff changes as well as inconsistency in the D line roles and play are also major factors.  

We will see improvement this year and next IF the revolving door stops spinning.  Lets give the team and staff two more seasons and then assess the results all over the team.  

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Ruud is not the problem with the LB group’s lack of production imo. The group has lacked speed and some size and general toughness as demonstrated by their play thus far but I tend to also feel scheme and staff changes as well as inconsistency in the D line roles and play are also major factors.  

We will see improvement this year and next IF the revolving door stops spinning.  Lets give the team and staff two more seasons and then assess the results all over the team.  

I think next year 2021 (if we play this year) we will have a more honest picture of where we are. To the bolded, unsure if many teams have undergone what NU has the past 4-5 years with changes to scheme, coordinators, position coaches etc....

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Ruud is not the problem with the LB group’s lack of production imo. The group has lacked speed and some size and general toughness as demonstrated by their play thus far but I tend to also feel scheme and staff changes as well as inconsistency in the D line roles and play are also major factors.  

We will see improvement this year and next IF the revolving door stops spinning.  Lets give the team and staff two more seasons and then assess the results all over the team.  

I would agree that Ruud isn't the issue.  The defensive side of the ball has had so many changes the past five seasons it's almost unbelievable.

Share this post


Link to post

Luke is faster, a better arm, and better athlete than AM.  He represents a true dual threat that opponents will not enjoy playing against.  
 

If Luke starts and stays healthy we will have a winning season.  
 

if it’s AM we will see more of the same and another losing season.

  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.










×
×
  • Create New...