Thread got banned when i said this after Maryland but...

BigPeterJ

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Iowa is 13th in the country in total defense, giving up 306 yards and 12 points per game (that's 5th in the country).

Frost's offense got 284 yards and 17 points against them. 

I mean... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And Martinez is leading the B1G in Total Offense per game this year.  

If you're not leading the nation, you suck (I guess).

• Plus1 1

I don’t agree with everything the OP said, but to everyone’s surprise Martinez was not the answer this season. It was pretty obvious a couple games in.  If you couldn’t see it, I’m guessing you don’t watch much football. First we tried to blame the OL, then the receivers.....

I don’t know what transpired with him in the offseason, but the opposite needs to happen before next August.  I’m guessing it’s mostly the bulking up, but who knows. 

Job 1:  Cut some weight. 205 AM>> 225 AM. Your explosiveness in the run game was your best asset.  It will open up the rest of the offense like nothing else. 

1 hour ago, BigPeterJ said:

Im just dying inside cause we all know we win with Luke.

You probably shouldn't be constantly speaking in absolutes like this. 

If you remember the Minnesota game, they blitzed constantly against Vedral. And because our offensive line isn't the greatest at pass blocking (and that is intentionally generous phrasing), it didn't work out very well for us when we had him drop back to pass.

So it isn't any kind of extremely obvious/sure thing that Luke outperforms Adrian even in this game. Especially when we had just started to find ways to get Mills going. With Luke, the defense is going to stack the box all day.

51 minutes ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

It is America.  But online forums, including this one, are not democracies;  they have to be run in a sort of mild dictatorship or things get out of hand and the flavor and character of the place can go south fast. 

True, but now that I think about it theres probably some people posting on here from places not in America

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

And Martinez is leading the B1G in Total Offense per game this year.  

If you're not leading the nation, you suck (I guess).

In 1995 New Mexico State's Cody Ledbetter had 90% more total yards than some kid named Tommie Frazier that year.  Tommie needed over 25% more total yards on top of his total to crack the top 20 in the nation that year.

Keep his stats.  They don't tell the story.  Adrian won't get one vote for all BIG.  

• Plus1 3

20 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Imagine the stats with competence taking a snap 

Seriously.  Our best offensive possession was the one and only time Luke was QB.  The other times we scored had nothing to do with AM, but had everything to do with taking the ball out of his hands by handing it off.

We get a lot of stats quoted. Both for AM and our offense. I wonder what percentage of those yards are between the 20’s. Because those numbers sure aren’t translating to ENOUGH points, especially 2nd half points. When your philosophy is to outscore the other team, you’d better turn those yards into points. Consistently!

Just another example of how misleading stats can be. Especially when they’re put out without any context and just used as a blanket supporting number. 

I'm a graybeard in Cali and I bleed Big Red (born and raised in Nebr.). I can think of a couple of possible reasons SF stuck with AM. 1:SF himself was in a somewhat similar situation as AM (though SF had light years of potential and upside) where Husker fans grumbled a bit during SF's 1st year after replacing the great T-Frazier (big shoes to fill-no?), in fact I remember listening to a NU vs. UCF (little irony there-yeah, that UCF) game on the radio when UCF had a QB by the name of Dante Culpepper (DC). At halftime, UCF actually had the lead if I recall (DC was no joke and gave our defense a few fits!). Husker fans grumbled cuz our offense took a bit to get in gear- our "Fans" were outright rude to SF, but Dr. T.O. stuck with him (Dr. TO did let backup QB Frankie London run a series, NU scored, and SF went back in and completed the game-which NU won). So SF may be remembering that allegiance to a QB , plus- 2: maybe SF hesitated to throw Luke into the pot too soon (I personally believe Luke was the better option too, and would've done fine, but maybe Luke doesnt know the entire playbook, I dunno -I did know that AM was hampered and looked very injured to me). Couple of things I'm also way p$ssed-off are 1: playcalling was terrinle IMO: BTW, SF doesn't call the majority of the plays- his OC does. I believe that SF will eventually call all of the plays, IMO it's the only way to get a feel for the defense. I know I'm a greybeard and yearn for the 'old belly-trap, counter, outside zone, outside toss (I could go on, I have old OL coach Milt Tennipor's  excellent book), I KNOW they can be run out of the "spread" and would help our OL cuz it's going downhill instead of dropping back so much. Beside's ain't nothing wrong with getting under center no? We ran a series against Buckeyes, and while it didn't look close (to me-to the days of TF and SF) they did move down the field so fast the Buckeyes had to call a timeout-and still didnt stop it, AM stopped it on a ill-aimed pass. Then we abandoned it! I have more questions, like why don't we please change the snap signal from "Cheerio" or whatever the word is? Watch in Slo-Mo, Those DL's are just teeing off on that word like they're calling the snap signal. Do we need guys like that monster DE (Chase Young) the Buckeyes'  have, do we need to give any DL's an early start? I have about 10 more questions but I'll save them-I feel all Husker Fans pain today. Maybe next year-GBR baby!    

3 hours ago, SFW said:

Does he win games?

So those are the only two categories?  Either you suck or you win games?  

So only one QB each year doesn't suck?

Fran Tarkenton, Dan Marino and Dan Fouts all sucked as quarterbacks while Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien and Jeff Hostetler were among the greatest of all time?

Someone should tell the Hall of Fame that they have a lot of things screwed up.