Chinander's defense against Iowa

knapplc

13 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

It has been since they got here (after Martinez committed) and we still don't have a pass rusher. How they couldn't sell what Griffin did at UCF is beyond me.

I don't think that's true.

I think just like at UCF, Frost started recruiting skill position speed and hoped to develop some other things based on existing roster.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I don't think that's true.

I think just like at UCF, Frost started recruiting skill position speed and hoped to develop some other things based on existing roster.

Agree and I think that people drastically underrate the amount of talent that that UCF team had on it when he took over. Pretty sure that defense from 2017 and 2018 wound up putting like 5-6 guys in the NFL

Edit: 3 defensive players and 2 that are still on the team that will be drafted:

Shaquem Griffin

Trysten Hill

Mike Hughes 

Kyle Gibson (will be drafted in 2020)

Richie Grant (will be drafted when he comes out either 2020 or 2021)

Offensively here’s the NFL guys: 

Tre’Quan Smith

Jordan Aikens

And then obviously they had Milton (beast), Killins, Gabriel Davis, etc. That team had a TON of talent on it.

• Plus1 2

My biggest gripe with the last drive is why are Barry and Honas in on 3rd and long? What happened to our dime package where Eric Lee would come in for Barry (Purdue first half) and play a hybrid linebacker/rover position? Inexcusable to only have five players in the secondary in that situation. 

• Plus1 3
12 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

Agree and I think that people drastically underrate the amount of talent that that UCF team had on it when he took over. Pretty sure that defense from 2017 and 2018 wound up putting like 5-6 guys in the NFL

Edit: 3 defensive players and 2 that are still on the team that will be drafted:

Shaquem Griffin

Trysten Hill

Mike Hughes 

Kyle Gibson (will be drafted in 2020)

Richie Grant (will be drafted when he comes out either 2020 or 2021)

Offensively here’s the NFL guys: 

Tre’Quan Smith

Jordan Aikens

And then obviously they had Milton (beast), Killins, Gabriel Davis, etc. That team had a TON of talent on it.

I'm not saying they didn't have talent, I'm saying they should have been able to sell an OLB on coming in and being our Griffin and making tons of plays, but our OLB coach hasn't shown the ability to recruit anyone yet.

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I'm not saying they didn't have talent, I'm saying they should have been able to sell an OLB on coming in and being our Griffin and making tons of plays, but our OLB coach hasn't shown the ability to recruit anyone yet.

That may end up being true.  But they have had two recruiting classes, with the first being the month they were hired.

They focused on skill positions and the line of scrimmage.  I'm ok with that.....

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Oh I totally agree with you on that front. I was just pointing out the amount of talent that was already on that roster when they got there- the only D guy they recruited from that bunch I believe was Hughes (and he came in August of 2018 for one year from JUCO). They haven’t shown a history of landing elite defensive talent, and I don’t know that I trust a ton of their evaluations on that side of the ball given some of the people we’ve added and the players they recruited to UCF that are seeing the field now

2 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

It has been since they got here (after Martinez committed) and we still don't have a pass rusher. How they couldn't sell what Griffin did at UCF is beyond me.

It's baffling. Same with Pelini not being able to sell defensive linemen on what Suh did in his system.

I don't know. Maybe the football complex will help. I think that's what they're betting on.

On 11/29/2019 at 4:25 PM, BIG ERN said:

Iowa's offense is 102nd

Iowa's defense 5th 

I agree that the offense sucked today (Martinez was bad all year), but Iowa's RB still had another career day. 

This....it's freaking Iowa?  They are crap, can't believe they are ranked.....why didn't someone lay that kicker out?  

22 hours ago, Swiv3D said:

Also, to be clear, I dont expect chin to get fired, and will very happily eat crow next year if the defense finally becomes serviceable on a consistent basis under him, I'm just frustrated and as a 23 year old who's only ever seen this team be at it's best as a 10-4 team, I'm done believing hype and accepting moral victories until I see it happen

23?  Imagine being pissed if the preseason rankings had Nebraska at 5th.  Now imagine that being the case for 30 years.  Thats the NU us older guys know.  That red N on the helmet used to stand for "tough sumbitch" and you better know it.  Now not so much 

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

23?  Imagine being pissed if the preseason rankings had Nebraska at 5th.  Now imagine that being the case for 30 years.  Thats the NU us older guys know.  That red N on the helmet used to stand for "tough sumbitch" and you better know it.  Now not so much 

We used to be so good that 9-3 was a fireable offense, and Iowa was a joke to us.  Just 15 years later and 9-3 would get you a raise, and we are a joke to Iowa.  Thats reality right there.  For those of us over 30, hearing that shocks us so much that we dont even believe it.  

3 hours ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I still say JoJo could be that guy.  He just seemed to be under utilized IMHO.  I'd think he would/should be an every down player on D....

3 hours ago, WVhuskerXX said:

My biggest gripe with the last drive is why are Barry and Honas in on 3rd and long? What happened to our dime package where Eric Lee would come in for Barry (Purdue first half) and play a hybrid linebacker/rover position? Inexcusable to only have five players in the secondary in that situation. 

IIRC, Mo was out on a lot of Maryland's passing downs as well...

8 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

We used to be so good that 9-3 was a fireable offense, and Iowa was a joke to us.  Just 15 years later and 9-3 would get you a raise, and we are a joke to Iowa.  Thats reality right there.  For those of us over 30, hearing that shocks us so much that we dont even believe it.  

Preach......I can remember being mad when the only games we lost were bowl games.......

I find hope in that every team who fell has risen again.  Some like Bama and OU seem to have been able to continually stay in the national conversation.  

Watching the Clemson game, at least the announcers kept saying that Clemson was getting close to being one of only 3 teams to win a Natty 3 times in 4 years....Bama and NU being the only 2.........

2 hours ago, lo country said:

Preach......I can remember being mad when the only games we lost were bowl games.......

I find hope in that every team who fell has risen again.  Some like Bama and OU seem to have been able to continually stay in the national conversation.  

Watching the Clemson game, at least the announcers kept saying that Clemson was getting close to being one of only 3 teams to win a Natty 3 times in 4 years....Bama and NU being the only 2.........

And that was one missed kick from being 4 in 5 yr.